Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rinehart goes to court over TV show

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:41 pm
Post subject: Rinehart goes to court over TV showReply with quote

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/feb/13/gina-rinehart-court-action-house-of-hancock

"Rinehart’s lawyers have argued that the actors may be engaging in false and misleading conduct by portraying events that never happened.

At the supreme court hearing in Sydney on Friday, (justice) Garling called that argument “novel” and said if applied it “could shut down all of Shakespeare’s plays”, the Australian reported
"

I don't understand.
I thought this was TV drama: fiction based on fact
It is not a documentary.

Last edited by watt price tully on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ In fairness, it does become a little fraught when dealing with supposedly real-life events involving living people.

If I make a TV series about the life and times of WPT, based closely on reported events on Nick's, would you have a case if I included a fictional subplot with you going on an MDMA bender?

It's not documentary, but this sort of entertainment is not strictly fictional representation either.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:58 pm

^ True, that's why I posted fiction based on fact. The producers said that a lot of what they used is on record.

<snip>

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:16 pm

In late-breaking news, lawyers for Mining Magnate Gina Rinehart have had their bid for a suppression order quashed. The failed order forbidding all discussion of Rinehart's attempt to prevent publication of a legal bid to suppress reporting of an ongoing action seeking to prevent the public learning of a case between Reinhart's lawyers and another party seeking to lift an earlier Rinehart suppression order regarding an attempt to clear the public from a courtroom and prevent all reporting of proceedings in a case brought by Reinhart in an attempt to quash an earlier verdict disallowing a suppression order made in regard to ... well, no-one can actually remember what it was in regard to now, but it doesn't matter because Reinhart's lawyers will sue you into the poorhouse if you so much as think about it sideways.

PS: don't bother making an appointment with your lawyer. He's too busy to take your call. Working on a big case briefing three QCs to contest a parking fine for some mining magnate from WA, apparently.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:23 pm

1061's complaint and the discussion with WPT re: moderation have been moved here:

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=76263

Last edited by David on Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:43 pm

Loved the first part, hope they don't cancel it
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:45 pm

"it" being idea?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:07 pm

Recorded part one - haven't watched it yet - I have been told that I have to watch it when the hubby is not within earshot!

I detest GR with a passion that is bordering on psychopathic and have been known to yell extraordinary profanities at the TV or radio with the mere mention of her utterungs Evil or Very Mad

She should be treated as a vexatious litigant and told to stop wasting the courts time with her melodramas!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:08 pm

So the Show will be taken off TV?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:13 pm

David will moderate it then split it into 2 separate shows and move one of them to 9's Go channel.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:32 pm

The case was settled a few hours ago.

Quote:
THE Nine Network will have to run a disclaimer before and after tomorrow night’s instalment of House of Hancock saying it is “fictionalised” following legal action from mining magnate Gina Rinehart.

“Agreed edits” will also have to made to the show before it goes to air, according to orders made in the NSW Supreme Court today.

The news comes as Ms Rinehart and Channel 9 reached a confidential settlement after the billionaire launched a rare weekend emergency injunction in the court on Valentine’s Day.

The network took to Twitter following the hearing to say the second instalment of House of Hancock will air “as per schedule” on Sunday.

A legal source said Nine will have to broadcast a disclaimer before and after the show saying the program is “fictionalised”.

“A disclaimer will be running at the time of broadcast,” the source said.

It is understood the 10 edits Ms Rinehart asked for are minor.

The scenes that will be cut out of the program remain strictly confidential.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/gina-rinehart-reaches-settlement-with-nine-network-over-airing-of-house-of-hancock/story-fnii5s3y-1227219550905

I've recorded it to watch at a time that suits me. I can see how Gina gets some people's blood boiling but I'm basically ambivalent toward her. I think it's funny how some people choose to attack her for her weight when there's so much else to work with, but there's also a lot there to admire even if grudgingly. She's very much her fathers creation.

I'm curious to see the story played out even though it's always difficult to do this stuff when the person is still alive.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:34 pm

Morrigu wrote:
I detest GR with a passion that is bordering on psychopathic

Nothing remotely psychopathic about it, perfectly normal, rational opinion. There are in fact only two sorts of healthy, normal Australian: those who feel the same way you do, and those who are on the Reinhart payroll and have to keep quiet about it.

Morrigu wrote:
She should be treated as a vexatious litigant and told to stop wasting the courts time with her melodramas!

That would be a disaster for Australia. Think of the huddled masses queuing up for unemployment benefit; homeless kids sleeping in abandoned, empty courtrooms; all those hundreds of poor, poverty-stricken barristers and QCs eking out a living flipping burgers. Shame on you!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:37 pm

Just shows the Rich run the world
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:38 pm

stui magpie wrote:
a lot there to admire even if grudgingly

Such as?

Massive wealth handed to her on a silver plate. Every possible advantage of education, servants, and lawyers. Persistent attempts to flout the law to her own advantage. Persistent attempts to lower living standards and impoverish Australia. Grasping every penny she can get by fair means or foul, even her own children's money. There is nothing, repeat nothing to admire.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:14 pm

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
a lot there to admire even if grudgingly

Such as?

Massive wealth handed to her on a silver plate. Every possible advantage of education, servants, and lawyers. Persistent attempts to flout the law to her own advantage. Persistent attempts to lower living standards and impoverish Australia. Grasping every penny she can get by fair means or foul, even her own children's money. There is nothing, repeat nothing to admire.

Your as bad as David, watch the $£$%^%%$ show!

If half of its true the poor woman needs a good dose of David's sympathy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: