Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Interesting article on the Pies in 2015

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:06 am
Post subject: Interesting article on the Pies in 2015Reply with quote

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/02/14/seven-untold-stories-collingwood-2015/

He makes some good points

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:36 am
Post subject: Re: Interesting article on the Pies in 2015Reply with quote

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/02/14/seven-untold-stories-collingwood-2015/

He makes some good points

Thanks CC - a good read.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link CC.
I enjoyed the read but like most stories about the 2015 season, its all supposition right now. I thought the most relevent point in the article was that we do have a pretty soft start to the season in terms of our opposition. I think we will know after 5 / 6 rounds if we are likely to have any joy in 2015. Winning isnt everything ( this year ) if we see constant development in our kids along the way but winning and development in 2015 would be the ultimate !
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:01 am

Certainly a good pack of kids on the list in any case

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks CC that was an interesting read!

A lot of potential outcomes could occur and I thought the author of the article raised some good points that the club needs to address and issues that were prevalent in 2014 but predicting how 2015 will transpire is guess work at best.

There's no doubt that many people are writing us off with many predicting a bottom 6 finish. Some would even say I'm writing off the club to a point as I think we'll finish in a similar spot as we did last year but I think there's a lot to be excited about in the next few years and if injuries don't get the better of us this year then I think we're a chance to pinch a finals spot. Our list heading into the future is in much better shape than the likes of North Melbourne, Fremantle, Geelong, Carlton and Essendon for example even though it may not appear that way right now.

We started strongly last season with an 8-3 record in the first half of the year but our form in the second half of the year was very unsettling. I think the factors of injuries and fatigue really hurt us but long-term it will hold us in good stead and if we can overcome the problems that we saw in the second half of the year we'll be better off for it.

A lot to be excited about but patience and persistence is the key for the playing group and for the supporters as well.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:47 am

Jezza wrote:
A lot to be excited about but patience and persistence is the key for the playing group and for the supporters as well.

My greatest problem (based on experience) is actually believing that posters on Nicks will be patient and persistent enough to ride out the inevitable flat spots during the season. I think we will lose more than we will win this development year with the very young team. I expect the "Sack Buckley" threads to commence mid season or earlier, to derail any benefit and gain we get from pumping game experience into the younger players.

Collingwood's major chance for making the finals and having a tilt at the flag will be 2016 onwards. Will Nick's be patient enough??? Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:16 am

Lazza wrote:
Jezza wrote:

My greatest problem (based on experience) is actually believing that posters on Nicks will be patient and persistent enough to ride out the inevitable flat spots during the season. I think we will lose more than we will win this development year with the very young team. I expect the "Sack Buckley" threads to commence mid season or earlier, to derail any benefit and gain we get from pumping game experience into the younger players.

Collingwood's major chance for making the finals and having a tilt at the flag will be 2016 onwards. Will Nick's be patient enough??? Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

But do you think the posters on Nicks will remain patient or will the forum decend into a "sack Buckley" frenzy. Not sure you've let us know what you think....
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:59 am

jackcass wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Jezza wrote:

But do you think the posters on Nicks will remain patient or will the forum decend into a "sack Buckley" frenzy. Not sure you've let us know what you think....

To each their own Daz and as you very well know what I think, I won't repeat it. Rolling Eyes If it becomes a "Sack Bucks" frenzy as I predict it will, I shall be refraining from posting on the issue.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:59 pm

I understand where you are coming from Lazza re the annoying sack Buckley threads etc, however playing down expectations will not deliver what you want.

I for one was happy to see MM given a limited tenure and Bux given the reigns - we scored flag from the exercise. Maybe if Eddie had said to MM we will not replace a premiership coach we might have seen the Pies go back to back? Who knows… but Bux has been there to build the team for the next assault on the flag with a lot of ageing stars not quite right to go again by 2012 or 2013… I think we have recruited well, however I am still uncertain about the team's ability to playing premiership footy under Bux.

I hope I am wrong and they come out and prove me wrong in 2015 and beyond - which is not winning every game but making it tough for the opposition - playing with a certain flair or grunt that you know has the club on the right track! Our game plan is shite and towards the end of the year we looked soft and dis-interested - this is not just the fault of injuries but a playing group that was not playing for each other or the coach. This needs to be addressed… some floggings like we saw at the end of last year and the call will go out for Bux to get the chop and I think that is fair enough!

SOme admirable/fighting losses with a coherent game plan and few wins here and there and I will certainly be happy - and will defend Bux to be retained but I am looking for a lot more than what the club delivered at the end of last year!

Good young players will be wasted with the wrong leadership and Bux does not have a decade to get himself together - MM took us to a couple of GF's within a few years and had premiership credentials to make him worth the punt as a coach - you knew there was quality at the top - Buckley has yet to prove that - I hope 2015 is the year he stamps himself as a genuine top coach and a potential premiership coach with our Mighty Magpies! But please understand Lazza not every supporter calling for Buckley to get the chop will necessarily be a hater or scum troll or negative nellie - it might just be that Bux is one of those wonderful players who did not make the cut as a top coach!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:55 pm

Exactly YY, I'm not fussed if other posters develop and express a "sack Buckley" viewpoint as long as they are able to argue their case. Everyone is entitled to an opinion even though I may disagree with it. Simply moving to that position because we're not top 2 on the ladder or outside the top 4 won't cut the mustard.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:33 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
I understand where you are coming from Lazza re the annoying sack Buckley threads etc, however playing down expectations will not deliver what you want.

I for one was happy to see MM given a limited tenure and Bux given the reigns - we scored flag from the exercise. Maybe if Eddie had said to MM we will not replace a premiership coach we might have seen the Pies go back to back? Who knows… but Bux has been there to build the team for the next assault on the flag with a lot of ageing stars not quite right to go again by 2012 or 2013… I think we have recruited well, however I am still uncertain about the team's ability to playing premiership footy under Bux.

I hope I am wrong and they come out and prove me wrong in 2015 and beyond - which is not winning every game but making it tough for the opposition - playing with a certain flair or grunt that you know has the club on the right track! Our game plan is shite and towards the end of the year we looked soft and dis-interested - this is not just the fault of injuries but a playing group that was not playing for each other or the coach. This needs to be addressed… some floggings like we saw at the end of last year and the call will go out for Bux to get the chop and I think that is fair enough!

SOme admirable/fighting losses with a coherent game plan and few wins here and there and I will certainly be happy - and will defend Bux to be retained but I am looking for a lot more than what the club delivered at the end of last year!

Good young players will be wasted with the wrong leadership and Bux does not have a decade to get himself together - MM took us to a couple of GF's within a few years and had premiership credentials to make him worth the punt as a coach - you knew there was quality at the top - Buckley has yet to prove that - I hope 2015 is the year he stamps himself as a genuine top coach and a potential premiership coach with our Mighty Magpies! But please understand Lazza not every supporter calling for Buckley to get the chop will necessarily be a hater or scum troll or negative nellie - it might just be that Bux is one of those wonderful players who did not make the cut as a top coach!

You talk a lot of sense YY and we are on the same page. My issue is simply this. I think there are differing views on how much time to give Bucks to prove himself as a decent coach. I say that the first 3 years he coached; he was basically coaching MM's Collingwood team. Now, he has stamped himself at the club and on his team. I reckon he needs 3 years to prove himself totally. That means posters here being patient IF we have an ordinary season this year. My realistic opinion is that this year will see the team develop under Bucks. As you well know, a developing young team will lose the winnable games sometimes. They might even lose more than they win. That is part of the experience of growing, maturing and gelling as a good football team. Will Nick's posters understand this? Will they be as forgiving as you and me? Will they be patient? Or do they all want instant success in 2015 and anything other than that will be a cause to sack Bucks? My view is that it will be and we will be bloody inundated with sack Buckley threads before the end of the season, especially as I predict, Collingwood won’t make the finals this year. Rolling Eyes

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:55 pm

Probably will get a lot of sack Buckley threads from the usual suspects but reality hopefully will prevail. We could end up playing finals.

Injuries will make the difference but I doubt we will have the experience of the past couple of years.
I think it will be a development years but then I thought that at the start of 2010.

At the monment we have a lot of inexperienced kids but by the end of the season who knows? Elliot will pass 50 games and become more consistent and if a few kids believe they belong at a senior level well look back at 2010.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:01 pm

neil wrote:
Probably will get a lot of sack Buckley threads from the usual suspects but reality hopefully will prevail. We could end up playing finals.

Injuries will make the difference but I doubt we will have the experience of the past couple of years.
I think it will be a development years but then I thought that at the start of 2010.

At the monment we have a lot of inexperienced kids but by the end of the season who knows? Elliot will pass 50 games and become more consistent and if a few kids believe they belong at a senior level well look back at 2010.

Fair enough and I fully respect your opinion neil. However I see us at about where we were entering the 1988 season or the 2008 season. We will peak or be close to peaking in about 2-3 years.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:55 pm

Lazza wrote:
neil wrote:

Fair enough and I fully respect your opinion neil. However I see us at about where we were entering the 1988 season or the 2008 season. We will peak or be close to peaking in about 2-3 years.

There's a lot of logic to your view Lazza, but in truth, it is folly to rely on medium/long term planning. Anything can intervene and disrupt the best of plans, including injuries, desertions, sackings, financial disasters, drug scandals or tragic deaths (remember us losing Millane in 1991). So while I too expect we'll probably be a much better side in 2-3 years, I'm not prepared to place limits on what we can achieve this season. Given the depth of our talent - greater now than in 2010 imo - a lot will depend on how our youngsters physically stand up to the rigors of a long season. As it stands now, I'm expecting we'll finish 4-6 and win at least one final.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:06 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
There's a lot of logic to your view Lazza, but in truth, it is folly to rely on medium/long term planning. Anything can intervene and disrupt the best of plans, including injuries, desertions, sackings, financial disasters, drug scandals or tragic deaths (remember us losing Millane in 1991). So while I too expect we'll probably be a much better side in 2-3 years, I'm not prepared to place limits on what we can achieve this season. Given the depth of our talent - greater now than in 2010 imo - a lot will depend on how our youngsters physically stand up to the rigors of a long season. As it stands now, I'm expecting we'll finish 4-6 and win at least one final.

That is a very positive outlook on this season RB and I truly hope that you are far more accurate in your prediction/guesswork than I’ am.
Like I said, I'm purposely taking a very conservative view of my predictions this year because I was so far off the mark over the past 2-3 seasons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: