Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should we actively target Patrick Dangerfield via F/A?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we make a genuine play at getting Dangerfield?
Yes - and surpass any other financial offer made to improve our odds.
27%
 27%  [ 16 ]
Yes- but within reason. Let's not break the bank.
49%
 49%  [ 29 ]
No - He would eat up to much of our salary cap space.
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
No- I don't want him.
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 59

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:39 pm
Post subject: Should we actively target Patrick Dangerfield via F/A?Reply with quote

So, should we actively target Patrick Dangerfield and look to have him in the black'n'white in 2016?

No doubt this will be a hot topic throughout this season so we may as well get the discussion under way now.

At present you get the feeling he's seriously considering moving back home to Victoria for the right offer.

Some seem to think Geelong are in the box seat but I'm not so certain.

Yes it's true he's originally a Geelong boy but he's lived in Adelaide many years now is a grown man and it's hardly a long way between the city and sleepy hollow.

Personally I think if we can offer him strong financial terms and be seen to be heading in the right direction on the field during the year then we will be an enticing place to be and will be in with a real shot of signing him.

I find it hard to believe Geelong could afford to offer more in the way of money than us given the number of high profile departures we've had over the last couple of seasons.

The only real question for me is will the club be proactive in chasing him if indeed we are chasing him at all.

If we want to make a serious play for him it needs to start now as we can't afford to be dragging our heals on the issue.

Some reports suggest Geelong are already making serious overtures to him.

Personally I have no problem with us making him an offer that would make him our highest or second highest earner if that's what it takes.

With Swan nearing the end Dangerfield would be the ideal replacement IMO and give our midfield stocks a much needed boost of speed, power, class and depth.

I vote yes let's chase him hard.

Question is if the club don't then why the hell not?

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Clem from Clematis's in the Age comments today, only two Victorian clubs are in the running, one of whom does not want to pay him more than their captain, who is their best player. Hope it's us, won't be too fussed if it's not, fearing another Judd/Lockett situation...

Quote:
Chasing Dangerfield - Costs and Complications

Date February 7, 2015 Jake Niall
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:53 pm

Of course we'll target him, so will every other Vic club, I don't want us offering him ridiculous coin though.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:59 pm

Dangerfield would cost us more than Pendles in a bidding war.
I'd much rather not upset our skipper if that was the case.
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:03 pm

What use do we have for a fast, dynamic, matchwinning, classy midfielder?

MONCO: Your life.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:07 pm

It doesn't matter if we do or not. His manager will say something to other clubs like "Collingwood has offered him a million bucks and are prepared to trade Pendlebury, Grundy and jet Buckley to get him". We have a few recruits we have not seen yet and replacing Swan, although difficylt, is not a big a priority as looking for life after Travis.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:12 pm

Teams win Grand Finals not single players. I'd love Dangerfield but ... but.... If we have to throw everything to get him we might be loosing the vital pieces that make the side work. I like the Graham Wright way, they go after pieces at reasonable costs ie Lake! I reckon wait and see how the season pans out and then we will see what our deficiencies are, especially with the View that the new kids on the block will be Port and the Suns.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:46 pm

This'll test Geelongs "we won't more than we have to" bull Shyte mantra that's for sure.Pies must be seriously considering it, especially with this potentially being Swans last season and a bucket loads of young small / mid recruits. We need a player like him to work with Pendles and bring in experience.

Can't se why Collinfwood wouldn't be front runners in fact.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:08 pm

woftam wrote:
Dangerfield would cost us more than Pendles in a bidding war.
I'd much rather not upset our skipper if that was the case.

To be honest I think Pendles wouldn't be to bothered.

He's playing for premierships now and Dangerfield would become an important cog in our quest for another.

With Swan nearing the end he'd become our second best player behind Pendlebury and just as capable of turning a match so I have no problem paying him accordingly.

With such a young age profile to our list now and with the salary cap space that should have been generated because of it it's probably now or never if we want to land a truly big fish.

Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:49 pm

If Collingwood don't have the right cheese on the platter during the next 'Dangerfield' meeting, I'd be disappointed. We've got a handful of high schoolers, (on good cash), and the rest are still in primary school, on far less cash. Surely we've got room to move on this 'Danger' situation?

Go the Pies!
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:56 pm

I'd love to have Dangerfield in Black and White but unfortunately I think the cost will be to high and may end up causing the Pies to lose some key youngsters in the future due to a tight salary cap. We have a really good young core of players who will need some more time to really excel but whn they do I think being a Collingwood supporter will be very rewarding, Premiership rewarding, and I don't want one high priced player to mess with that.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:37 am

But we've lost so many high priced players (Thomas, Shaw, Beams) recently and with Swan no guarantee to go on past this season I just don't really see how adding Dangerfield should push us past what's in the best interests of our entire playing list.

We need more genuine A grade stars and some valuable experience added to our list profile.

Would landing Dangerfield be our biggest get since Buckley?

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:11 am
Post subject: Re: Should we actively target Patrick Dangerfield via F/A?Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
So, should we actively target Patrick Dangerfield and look to have him in the black'n'white in 2016?

No doubt this will be a hot topic throughout this season so we may as well get the discussion under way now.

At present you get the feeling he's seriously considering moving back home to Victoria for the right offer.

Some seem to think Geelong are in the box seat but I'm not so certain.

Yes it's true he's originally a Geelong boy but he's lived in Adelaide many years now is a grown man and it's hardly a long way between the city and sleepy hollow.

Personally I think if we can offer him strong financial terms and be seen to be heading in the right direction on the field during the year then we will be an enticing place to be and will be in with a real shot of signing him.

I find it hard to believe Geelong could afford to offer more in the way of money than us given the number of high profile departures we've had over the last couple of seasons.

The only real question for me is will the club be proactive in chasing him if indeed we are chasing him at all.

If we want to make a serious play for him it needs to start now as we can't afford to be dragging our heals on the issue.

Some reports suggest Geelong are already making serious overtures to him.

Personally I have no problem with us making him an offer that would make him our highest or second highest earner if that's what it takes.

With Swan nearing the end Dangerfield would be the ideal replacement IMO and give our midfield stocks a much needed boost of speed, power, class and depth.

I vote yes let's chase him hard.

Question is if the club don't then why the hell not?

Agree whole heatedly Swoop we should hard and strong at him.
Cloke is on big $$ and you suspect Pendles and Swanny are on top tier deals as well.
But when you look at other clubs ie hawks & swans they seem to be able to juggle the cap and egos to accommodate big name signings every other year.
If Swanny does play on beyond 2015 on recent form of 2014 his asking price would be vastly diminished. Thomas Beams Heater Jolly Johno and Harry all gone in recent years we must have some room in the cap surely. Yes we would have had to upgrade players like Elliott Sidebottom Witts Grundy etc but they aren't in the same category of earning potential as the players we lost or let go.
Beams was on around $425K Daisy similar Heater maybe high $300k Jolly over $550K Johno and Harry around the $300K mark so that makes around $2.2 a season allowing for upgrades you would think we would have the cap space and assuming we had planned to give Beams a serious upgrade of around $300K a season I'm guessing (yes it's a guess) $1 million to $1.3 in cap space for next season
If we can't find close to a million a season plus huge off field opportunities then our front of house staff aren't earning there keep.
Throw the sink at him and make Geelong break eye bank on him if they want him so badly.
Immsurecour captain would love to have him along side him in the midfield a player with pace and skill wouldn't go astray that's for sure.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:38 am

Darkstranger wrote:
This'll test Geelongs "we won't more than we have to" bull Shyte mantra that's for sure.Pies must be seriously considering it, especially with this potentially being Swans last season and a bucket loads of young small / mid recruits. We need a player like him to work with Pendles and bring in experience.

Can't se why Collinfwood wouldn't be front runners in fact.

we should chase him primarily as a replacement for Beams. We got just a little too young in the midfield this year and adding a player like Dangerfield could make us a premiership threat an entire year sooner than by not having him. how do you think guys like De Goey. Adams and Freeman will look as our third, 4th and fifth best mids, rather than our second, third and fourth. Its huge!!! Plus it makes it hard for them to decide which person to shut down.

I'd have a big crack.

finally, to those of you who salways say at this time "i wouldnt overpay him, we dont want to upset anyone", please promise me that you wont be the same group of people who will also bitch about the fact that we miss out on quality recruits. by definition, the winner of any auction were prepared to pay more than everybody else! Its not about how much you pay, but whether you get value. For a team with this young core, adding a stud 26 year old who could be the norm smith medalist in our next premiership era, is exactly the right trade.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:42 am

We've loaded up with lots of high draft picks over the last few seasons and while I'm eagerly anticipating their development over coming seasons, I wouldn't say no to adding Danger to the team. At this stage I'd guess we're probably 3rd in the pecking order on his services behind Adelaide and Geelong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: