Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The ethics of Hiroshima

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:00 am
Post subject: The ethics of HiroshimaReply with quote

This is yet another classic David thread splitting example.

I did not start this.

David wrote:
It's not that I can't see the difference; it's just the selective outrage that I find disturbing. Saying "it's war" as if that justifies everything just doesn't cut it for me (and name one instance in which a war has potentially saved more lives than it has cost—I'm struggling to think of any).

Once again, I don't blame the soldiers. But the acts that they are committing in the name of others should not be celebrated. All of war is tragedy.

Nagasaki
Hiroshima

Last edited by 1061 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:02 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

So goes the orthodoxy. I reckon it's bullshit.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:05 am

Really? Seriously?

Wow, just wow

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:08 am

I knew that would come up, I also expected the holocaust.

The 2 atomic bombs were dropped to prevent Russian victory over Japan. The Russians launched a MASSIVE assault on Japanese territory towards the end of the war and the Western Allies had already lost the race to Berlin. They certainly didn't want a race towards Tokyo. Also those bombs where part of WW2, a conflict that certainly took more lives than it saved, but probably (possibly?) prevented humanity living under slavery for centuries (Communist, Fascist... Potato, Potatoe).

War is often necessary, but I believe at least literally David is right that not too many (if any) wars would save more lives than they take.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:31 am

That's a cop out, that not the way he meant it

Nobody wants war, but sometimes, there is no option.

And I will never sit back and watch members of the armed forces doing their jobs, belittled like that

And by the way, go back a few years, have a look at previous threads on the houlacaust.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:44 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm conceding the literal point, not the substance of the argument.

Lives saved/lives lost is not a metric to judge the 'just' nature of a war and generally war will cost more lives than not going to war, but the cost of not going to war can sometimes be much, much higher.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:37 am

I agree with that in theory, Wokko—I too was arguing the literal point. But even in cases of 'necessary' wars (and let's remember that the original subject of this thread was most certainly not fighting in one), every killing is a tragedy and an atrocity.

That may seem paradoxical, but think of it this way: even if I were to accept the allied propaganda on Hiroshima—that it was an unavoidable act that saved many more lives than it cost—I still don't understand how anyone could ever see it as anything less than a war crime. So, an atrocity might sometimes conceivably be the least worst option, but it's still an atrocity.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:05 am

^ is it more of an atrocity than Dresden, Coventry ? Is scale really a differentiator, or technology ?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:33 am

David wrote:
I agree with that in theory, Wokko—I too was arguing the literal point. But even in cases of 'necessary' wars (and let's remember that the original subject of this thread was most certainly not fighting in one), every killing is a tragedy and an atrocity.

That may seem paradoxical, but think of it this way: even if I were to accept the allied propaganda on Hiroshima—that it was an unavoidable act that saved many more lives than it cost—I still don't understand how anyone could ever see it as anything less than a war crime. So, an atrocity might sometimes conceivably be the least worst option, but it's still an atrocity.

Oh dear. You need to read some history, David.

(a) The decision to bomb Hiroshima an inevitable and obvious one given the climate of the times and what was known to the decision makers at that time.
(b) Now that all the facts are in, there is no room for doubt that the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs, between them, saved many, many more lives than they cost. Even if we don't count the lives of Allied servicemen - and we should count those lives of course - even if we only count the number of Japanese lives lost, the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs saved hundreds of thousands.

I've probably explained all that in tedious detail here before somewhere. For now, just accept that the historical record is clear and unambiguous: those two bombs saved hundreds of thousands of lives in Japan, and many thousands of young Allied servicemen as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:41 am

Mugwump wrote:
^ is it more of an atrocity than Dresden, Coventry ? Is scale really a differentiator, or technology ?

Can we start to include Australian cities that were Targets like Darwin?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:42 am

Here we go -

The Hiroshima and Nagasaki attacks had strong moral justification in the eyes of those planning them before the event.

Japan was beaten, but it would not lie down. The Allies could not just stop fighting because the fanatics running Japan's military dictatorship would not accept peace - they were fighting on regardless of all events. This is not my interpretation, it is historical fact - there is a massive pile of evidence there, and very little of it is disputed by anyone. The Japanese military were willing and able to carry on last-man-standing defence tactics from absurdly hopeless military positions. Even though the war was lost, they insisted on doing anything and everything within their power to kill and maim as many Allied servicemen and occupied-territory civilians as possible. They did this over and over and over, in New Guinea, in the Phillipines, on Okinawa, in Burma ..... everywhere the forces were in contact.

The death toll was truly horrifying. Remember, we are not talking the "normal" horror of war here, the war was over, Japan had lost and everybody on both sides knew it, we are talking extra deaths, thousands upon thousands of them, and for no purpose whatsoever. Every day the war went on Americans and Australians and Indians and New Zealanders and Chinese and many others were getting slaughtered. With every Allied advance, despite the overwhelming military superiority and greater numbers of the Allied forces, the Japanese inflicted a truly enormous death toll, and killed even larger numbers of their own troops and vast numbers of civilians too.

The Allied planners carefully considered the ethics of the atom bomb attacks. We know this as the original meeting records are now declassified. There were two key questions:

1: is there any chance that the shock and awe of an atom bomb attack could stun the Japanese leadership into seeing reason?

2: if so, how many lives would that save overall (compared to the planned and indeed inevitable only alternative, the invasion of Japan itself)?

The Allied planners decided, in the end, that the risk was worth it.

History has shown that they were without question right. The combined Hiroshma-Nagasaki death toll is a small fraction of the death toll we would have seen from an even longer war. Many, many thousands of Allied soldiers were still alive in 1946 because of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki raids. That is the key judgment the Americans made - it would save a huge number of Allied lives, both combatants and civilians. But it turns out that the bombs also saved a great many Japanese lives - the number killed by the bombs was smaller than the number who unquestionably would have been killed during the long, brutal, bloody last-man-standing defence of the home islands which was inevitable otherwise.

The Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs worked exactly as planned: they delivered a massive shock to the Japanese government and resulted in the Emperor taking action to make peace. The military government almost succeeded in a plot to capture the Emperor and derail his orders to make peace, but were foiled at the last moment. The Emperor - who had aquiesed to the war in the first place - was the only man with the power to stop it, and he did.

In short, history has shown that the decision to drop those bombs was a wise one that saved many, many lives.

- Two and a half years ago I posted that, and you apparently read it, but seem to have completely failed to understand. This isn't rocket science, nor are the facts under any reasonable dispute. I admire your idealism, David, and mostly agree with you, but your really need to be prepared to let the facts overrule your determination to believe what you believe - otherwise you are no better than those nutters who deny climate change or accept every word of some ancient holy book as exact and scientific history.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:45 am

Mugwump wrote:

Much, much less than Dresden. There was no military, political or humanitarian justification for Dresden. None. Hiroshima/Nagasiki saved lives, hundreds of thousands of them.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:20 am

Yes, I have read your posts on this before, Tannin, and the fact remains that your argument is pure conjecture. Highly-educated and well-researched conjecture, of course, but conjecture nonetheless. You cannot possibly know what other options might have been successfully employed to end the war with Japan, or exactly how many fatalities would have been caused by the employment of each option. As I've argued with people defending the bombings in Gaza, we are never faced with simple binaries in life. There are many choices beyond "kill or be killed".

Now, I'm not necessarily saying that if I had been President of the US in the final days of World War 2 with the knowledge he had, I wouldn't have made the same decision. I'm sceptical, but perhaps it did genuinely seem the most humanitarian option. Regardless, the point I made above stands: it was still a war crime. Perhaps the most humanitarian way of ending World War 2 was through a war crime, but it was still a war crime. How could the slaughter of 100,000 innocent civilians ever be anything but?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:48 am

Tannin wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Much, much less than Dresden. There was no military, political or humanitarian justification for Dresden. None. Hiroshima/Nagasiki saved lives, hundreds of thousands of them.

I agree with you completely re Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It woild have been a profound strategic irrationality not to use it, in the graduated and political manner that the US did. It was impressive, morally, that there was little sentiment of vengeance, which might have resulted in many more being dropped than were necessary.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:10 am

This is exactly what I mean by war and doublethink: that a conscious decision to slaughter 100,000 innocents as a means to an end can be described as 'morally impressive' because they didn't cause even more unnecessary deaths. What strength of character, not to thoughtlessly inflict unimaginable suffering and trauma on another few civilian populations!

Rather than "morally impressive", I think the phrase you're looking for is "suggests they may not have been complete psychopaths".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15   

Jump to: