Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Another American Sniper

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I never said king-hitting someone from behind couldn't be traumatising. Razz

But yes, granted that there are many other war roles that are equally dehumanising if not more so.

OMFG OMFG David you stepped over the line

You r so wrong

My grand father was a bomb disposal expert, it killed him. (Not a bomb but it may as well have been) Some coward punching someone when they don't see it coming, you can't compare that to the image described by wokko, you have NO IDEA.

Killing is never good. BUT. There is a massive difference between a coward punch by a BULLY , and a sniper doing his job in war, and a police sniper killing when it is deemed necessary.

Take the Lindt stand off, if a sniper had killed him with no victims, no one needing to kneel for Allah, would you say that's the same thing?

No $£$%^%%$ way

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:54 pm

I can compare all I like. It's up to you and others to judge whether or not it's an appropriate comparison.

Personally, I've never liked this kind of doublethink, in which all of our understanding of ethical behaviour is completely suspended as soon as we start talking about war; where the act of killing another human being ceases to be a grave crime and becomes not just a meaningless act—which would be bad enough—but something actually warranting praise, even reverence.

This is not about blaming soldiers. For me, the key difference between an ordinary murder and killing on the battlefield is culpability; soldiers cannot be deemed culpable, because they are acting on the orders of superiors. But that doesn't make the act itself any less barbaric, brutal or horrific.

What I was saying in my first post, or trying to say, was this: snipers are no more culpable than any other soldier or fighter pilot or naval marine; what they do just looks worse. Otherwise, all kill on the behalf of politicians and generals and voting publics too shit scared to actually carry out (and face) the violence that they demand. On that level, I respect soldiers. But I will always oppose their glorification and sanctification, because what they do is terrible.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:07 pm

David wrote:
I can compare all I like. It's up to you and others to judge whether or not it's an appropriate comparison.

Personally, I've never liked this kind of doublethink, in which all of our understanding of ethical behaviour is completely suspended as soon as we start talking about war; where the act of killing another human being ceases to be a grave crime and becomes not just a meaningless act—which would be bad enough—but something actually warranting praise, even reverence.

This is not about blaming soldiers. For me, the key difference between an ordinary murder and killing on the battlefield is culpability; soldiers cannot be deemed culpable, because they are acting on the orders of superiors. But that doesn't make the act itself any less barbaric, brutal or horrific.

What I was saying in my first post, or trying to say, was this: snipers are no more culpable than any other soldier or fighter pilot or naval marine; what they do just looks worse. Otherwise, all kill on the behalf of politicians and generals and voting publics too shit scared to actually carry out (and face) the violence that they demand. On that level, I respect soldiers. But I will always oppose their glorification and sanctification, because what they do is terrible.

Bullshit your words were " it's the equivalent of a king hit" which is now known as a coward hit.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:24 pm

I said "the war equivalent"—i.e. I consider the two analogous.

Otherwise, is it brave or cowardly to snipe enemy soldiers from a hidden location? I suppose it's all a matter of perspective.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:36 pm

Gees David, really?

They take out a threat to even more soldiers

Happens on both sides

I take offence at you comparing anyone in uniform, what ever sides uniform with say ratters son, who king hit a kid, kicked him in the head, and when he was unconscious, kept kicking him,

If you don't get the difference well , wot can I say"

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:39 pm

think positive wrote:
I take offence at you comparing anyone in uniform, what ever sides uniform with say ratters son, who king hit a kid, kicked him in the head, and when he was unconscious, kept kicking him

You're right. What many soldiers do is much worse.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:42 pm

David, truly, don't bait me tonight

Your a jerk an an embarrassment with statements like that

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:45 pm

I'm not trying to be offensive; just think about it objectively: what's worse, killing 24 people with a gun or punching one person in the head? Seriously.

Putting a uniform on doesn't make everything okay. It's still 24 lives.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 pm

David wrote:
I'm not trying to be offensive; just think about it objectively: what's worse, killing 24 people with a gun or punching one person in the head? Seriously.

Putting a uniform on doesn't make everything okay. It's still 24 lives.

I'm truly go smacked here

You really don't see the difference?

Killing one man, one at a time mind you. And no I don't like the idea either, but it's WAR, to save how may, against a drunken thug doing it because he has more back up, you can't see the difference? Well how $£$%^%%$ dare u

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:56 pm

It's not that I can't see the difference; it's just the selective outrage that I find disturbing. Saying "it's war" as if that justifies everything just doesn't cut it for me (and name one instance in which a war has potentially saved more lives than it has cost—I'm struggling to think of any).

Once again, I don't blame the soldiers. But the acts that they are committing in the name of others should not be celebrated. All of war is tragedy.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:51 pm

David wrote:
This is exactly what I mean by war and doublethink: that a conscious decision to slaughter 100,000 innocents as a means to an end can be described as 'morally impressive' because they didn't cause even more unnecessary deaths. What strength of character, not to thoughtlessly inflict unimaginable suffering and trauma on another few civilian populations!

Rather than "morally impressive", I think the phrase you're looking for is "suggests they may not have been complete psychopaths".

Your so witty!

And you still don't get to equate a sniper doing his job, protecting his side in the fight, to some clown sneaking up and laying a coward punch on someone.

Pity you don't talk about the "strength of character" of say Hitler, ISIS, Bin Laden, and the guy who rang Changi

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:05 pm

Anybody who would consider a military sniper as a "coward" has absolutely NFI. It takes a special kind of bravery for a sane man to insert themselves undercover into a situation, with no support around them, to take out the target assigned to them and then get away alive.

And yes, these are men, not psychopaths, so they need to dehumanise the target in their own mind as much as they can in order to do what they do, but it's not something that anyone can do for an extended period while remaining sane.

They are there to do a job and the job that they do saves lives.

It's not doublethink to have the state authorise some acts of violence and prohibit others.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:06 pm

I don't understand your point. Do you think I support those people? My criticism lies with warfare in general, so I don't see why you think I'd be inclined to give Adolf Hitler a free pass.

Anyway, if you can be outraged at my refusal to deify soldiers, I'm saddened by your and others' tacit acceptance of death and slaughter so long as the other side are on the receiving end.

<Note: I've split the WW2 conversation from here because we've gone way off topic. This thread is for sniping. No, not that kind of sniping. Carry on!>

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:38 pm

When were they?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Anybody who would consider a military sniper as a "coward" has absolutely NFI. It takes a special kind of bravery for a sane man to insert themselves undercover into a situation, with no support around them, to take out the target assigned to them and then get away alive.

And yes, these are men, not psychopaths, so they need to dehumanise the target in their own mind as much as they can in order to do what they do, but it's not something that anyone can do for an extended period while remaining sane.

They are there to do a job and the job that they do saves lives.

It's not doublethink to have the state authorise some acts of violence and prohibit others.

Sanity prevails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: