Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Soccer still Behind AFL and NRL

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
I have same sentiments as J W. Dont forget the soccer takes over the MCG in the middle of the 2015 AFL season for the first time in its long history ( im guessing it hasnt happened before )
In the past, even when the AFL did give soccer the odd free hit, the round ball code couldnt take advantage of the opportunity. Not any more, if the AFL dont get it right quickly, the round ball code is now in much better shape to make further inroads. Mightnt be a bad thing if it means reigning in the arrogance of the AFL for the next few years and bringing aussie rules back to the people.
BTW - 90,000 tickets sold out in a couple hours for the manchester vs real madrid game at around $200 each for an average seat for an adult.

It Sold Out because this could be the only chance that people might get to see these Giants of European Soccer

Geelongpie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:09 am

Why is it people seem to be scared of soccer?
The fact is in 50 years from now, that's still ages but soccer will be the number 1 code in Aus.
It will take a long time but soccer has endless possibilities and there is a reason it's the world game and eventually It will be intrenched in our culture aswell.

Think 20 years back no one played soccer at school, think 40 years back people were teased at school for playing 'w.g ball'
Now 4.2 million people watched the asian cup final.

Afl and nrl have peaked, they can't go anywhere else, crowds have declined and it will always be an australian game only.
Afl and collingwood will always be my love but I'm embracing the melbourne victory and the Socceroos and it's really a great game.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:21 am

Soccer will definitely grow massively in Australia over the next couple of decades. However, footy will remain the number one code because it's a better game. Seriously, watching the Socceroos in finals is exciting, but most A league games are pretty boring and uninspiring. After all, that's why the crowds have to sing and fight, because too often the game itself is dull. For those predicting doom and gloom for footy, I suggest you consider the case of Ireland, where Gaelic football, despite being an amateur competition, remains the number one football code, despite soccer's international status. Rugby is likely to slip to the 3rd 'football' code in Australia, basically because it's an unattractive game and is seen as way too thuggish.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:03 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
The Prototype wrote:
The A-League grows every year in quality and viewership but there are some teams that are still currently struggling. The AFL's battling in Western Sydney will see the Giants lose to the Wanderers as that part of Sydney has always been more soccer than anything.

A-League and that code of football may never be number one in Australia, but it has a strong chance of overtaking NRL, though if the AFL keeps treating the fans badly who knows where some of those fans may go.

The A-League and AFL are on different time of the Year.

So I don’t see the Competition between the 2.

DTM, it’s not about a head to head competition but about which of all the codes is the number 1 code in Australia. At present it is definitely the AFL (no argument there) but soccer is a hugely growing sport, I think it is growing faster than Aussie rules. In the country footy leagues, many an Aussie rules team has had to either merge or fold due to lack of finance or players. The press don’t highlight these facts.
As opposed to that, there are new junior soccer teams starting up.

I don’t think Aussie rules will ever lose the number one tag but the AFL must support country leagues far more than they currently do if they are to beat off a strong challenge from Soccer. I don't think the NRL count nationally as a code that could threaten for number one.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:11 pm

Well Reading some People on Soccer Pages and the Media makes it out like that.

I said I don’t think there is Head to Head Competition but lot of Soccer People want to say they have the Biggest Sport in Australia(Read Craig Fosters Stuff) and Andy D gave the Big FU to Soccer.

I have posted they can work with each other as the Leagues are played at different time of the year.

Fair enough to say that Country Football needs help keeping players.

Saying at that Level Clubs are losing players to Soccer Teams?

Last edited by Dave The Man on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:13 pm

Geelongpie wrote:
Think 20 years back no one played soccer at school, think 40 years back people were teased at school for playing 'w.g ball'
Now 4.2 million people watched the asian cup final.

Not too sure which school you went to but in 1973, Cheltenham High School had a champion soccer team and ironically the captain was no other than Trevor Barker (who was banned from playing footy at school by St Kilda due to injury worries!). I was a cricket person so I didn't play soccer but the local school comp. was bloody huge. BTW, no one was ever teased about playing soccer at Chelt. High and we had 3 VFL players (Trevor Barker, Brendon Breen (Barry Breen's brother) and Peter Ivanoff (who later played for Port Melbourne) who all played for the Saints or their reserves at that time playing soccer.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:20 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
The Prototype wrote:
The A-League grows every year in quality and viewership but there are some teams that are still currently struggling. The AFL's battling in Western Sydney will see the Giants lose to the Wanderers as that part of Sydney has always been more soccer than anything.

A-League and that code of football may never be number one in Australia, but it has a strong chance of overtaking NRL, though if the AFL keeps treating the fans badly who knows where some of those fans may go.

The A-League and AFL are on different time of the Year.

So I don’t see the Competition between the 2.

DTM, it’s not about a head to head competition but about which of all the codes is the number 1 code in Australia. At present it is definitely the AFL (no argument there) but soccer is a hugely growing sport, I think it is growing faster than Aussie rules. In the country footy leagues, many an Aussie rules team has had to either merge or fold due to lack of finance or players. The press don’t highlight these facts.
As opposed to that, there are new junior soccer teams starting up.

I don’t think Aussie rules will ever lose the number one tag but the AFL must support country leagues far more than they currently do if they are to beat off a strong challenge from Soccer. I don't think the NRL count nationally as a code that could threaten for number one.

Well Reading some People on Soccer Pages and the Media makes it out like that.

I said I don’t think there is Head to Head Competition but lot of Soccer People want to say they have the Biggest Sport in Australia(Read Craig Fosters Stuff) and Andy D gave the Big FU to Soccer.

I have posted they can work with each other as the Leagues are played at different time of the year

Exactly Dave, they can work (or even as I said in my previous post) play together. This "competition against each other” bullshit is a beat up from the press trying to sell more bloody papers as usual. They need to cause a divide and rule mentality even if it doesn’t exist.
I know people in Bendigo who play footy on a Saturday and Soccer on a Sunday (as our soccer is a winter season). They enjoy playing both. I knew a bloke years ago (Reece Langan who also played a few games for the scum reserves) who played in a footy premiership AND a soccer premiership in the same season in Bendigo. Laughing

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:44 pm

I think sports mad AFL followers have always had an interest in soccer (as well as other sports like NFL, basketball and rugby) so don't think it's too much of a shock that it should grow in attractiveness locally as soon as the league restructured away from the historic ethnic based allegencies that dominated in the past.

Think the only time it ever becomes an either/or scenario is when you start chasing corporate dollars for sponsorships.

Personally, I probably watch less soccer now than I did when I was younger. The staging just wore me down. Hopefully it doesn't become too prominent in the AFL.

Oh, and isn't netball still the largest participation sport in Australia?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:44 pm

The Prototype wrote:
All sports can co-exist if they really wanted to, there's no need for the code war crap Andrew Dimwitriou was the only one thinking he needed to try a hostile takeover of areas.

Agree, just a waste of resources.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:47 pm

jackcass wrote:
I think sports mad AFL followers have always had an interest in soccer (as well as other sports like NFL, basketball and rugby) so don't think it's too much of a shock that it should grow in attractiveness locally as soon as the league restructured away from the historic ethnic based allegencies that dominated in the past.

Think the only time it ever becomes an either/or scenario is when you start chasing corporate dollars for sponsorships.

Personally, I probably watch less soccer now than I did when I was younger. The staging just wore me down. Hopefully it doesn't become too prominent in the AFL.

Oh, and isn't netball still the largest participation sport in Australia?
What is your favourite show?
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:01 pm

jackcass wrote:

Yes of course I forgot to mention that. I know we have divers (Lloyd etc.), Actors (Ablett etc.) and Duckers (Selwood etc.) in the AFL but geez, it is (pun intended!) bloody painful to watch soccer players dying on the field and then running like a rabbit in the next 5 mts. I hope fervently that our Aussie culture continues to hate this type of acting and that it never reaches the same level in the AFL as in the Soccer. It gives the distinct impression (rightly or wrongly) that most soccer players are bloody gutless wimps who lack physical toughness... Evil or Very Mad

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:46 pm

Soccer has been threatening for decades but as long as the best players and most lucrative competitions are way over in Europe it will continue to play 3rd fiddle to AFL and NRL in this country. Can't see the status quo changing, not this century at least.
Al Swearengen 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:01 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Soccer has been threatening for decades but as long as the best players and most lucrative competitions are way over in Europe it will continue to play 3rd fiddle to AFL and NRL in this country. Can't see the status quo changing, not this century at least.

I'd say it's as big if not bigger than Rugby League in this country, who I don't know how can survive as a competition getting 10-15k people at their games. Heck, 25k at the rugby would make front page news. I know sponsorship contributes, but bloody hell, if those players are on comparable wages to AFL players, how does it survive?

Being a [snip] growing up in Western Melbourne, naturally the folks steered me towards soccer, but my first love was always AFL. I don't think soccer will ever take the mantle in this country. Even if it does, who cares really.
I love both games and go to watch both codes. Although, I'm more of a fan of the VPL and grass roots soccer than A-League.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:25 pm

I believe NRL gets quite a large tv audience, as big as AFL? I don't mind soccer either but unless the Socceroos are playing I'm really only interested in the European variety.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:33 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:

Agree, especially when in nearly every game in the Asian cup competition, some players were writhing injured on the ground and then running around 5 mts later. Don’t watch too much league stuff so I don’t know if this happens there as well.

My game was cricket, played as a very ordinary opening pre helmet days (because my wicket was the least valuable to the team!!). However whenever I got hit, I NEVER let the bowler or the opposition team know that I was hurting, sometimes intensively. Maybe after the days play I would proudly show off the now purple coloured bruise(s) but never before.

Why do they show pain in Soccer? Wimps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: