Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What makes someone kill?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:29 pm
Post subject: What makes someone kill?Reply with quote

Apparently with serial killers the link is they are all paranoid, in the clinical sense.

Quote:
EVER wondered what makes some people commit truly horrendous crimes?
American psychiatrist Stephen Seager has spent decades trying to find the answer to that question. Seager spent years working in Unit C at California’s Napa State Hospital, known locally as Gomorrah, treating the criminally insane.
Seager has interviewed some of the worst mass murderers, rapists, serial killers and real-life Hannibal Lecters of the world who have been deemed by a judge not guilty by reason of insanity or unfit to stand trial and he has detailed his experience and insights into the minds of these madmen in his new book Behind the Gates of Gomorrah which is on sale Jan 3.

Quote:
While persons with personality disorders commit many crimes, including grisly murders, their behaviour and motives can be understood. These people commit crimes of passion: anger, jealousy, revenge, rage. Their murders often involve family members, spouses, or co-workers.
Their crimes may be memorable, but personality disordered people don’t commit mass murder.
This leaves one final group. And this group commits nearly all mass murders. They are the group that kills strangers, politicians, schoolchildren, theatre goers, and defence workers. They kill because they have a specific kind of mental illness. I have found that mass murderers are nearly always paranoid.
Paranoid people, usually labelled schizophrenic, may become deeply, profoundly, and fixedly delusional, but unlike most other schizophrenics — the tin-hat people — they remain organised, a fact known for centuries. They retain the ability to function, work, handle money, and plan. They can fill out government forms, amass an arsenal, produce elaborate computer spreadsheets, and implement massacres.
All paranoid persons exhibit a hallmark dysfunction, a symptom called “anosognosia,” a Greek term meaning “lack of awareness” or “denial of illness.” To a person, paranoid people don’t think they’re sick, and they cannot be convinced otherwise.

Sounds like a book that Id find interesting.

Quote:
If anyone knows the dark depths paranoid criminals are capable of it’s Stephen Seager. In the first chapter of his book Behind The Gates of Gomorrah he remembers his first day at work inside one of America’s largest hospitals for the criminally insane.
“I arrived early for my first day of work. A remnant of centuries past, Napa State Hospital spreads over hundreds of acres in a remote valley corner, hidden from view.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/books-magazines/behind-the-gates-of-gomorrah-treating-the-real-life-hannibal-lecters-of-the-world/story-fna50uae-1227173413334

Last edited by stui magpie on Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Your really bored today arnt you!

Got to say though, they fascinate me! John Wayne gacy, Jeffrey Dahmer, ted bundy, and the amazing movie, monster, about Eileen wournos, I can help but watch them, and I love criminal minds, but you can't watch them back to back to back, you start thinking crazy!

Evil people, but fascinating

Last edited by think positive on Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:51 pm

Hey, I did a lot of stuff today. Had a decent rest over Xmas and now the energy levels are rising which is good.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:59 pm

I edited!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:03 pm

That's good information.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:13 pm

I'm not paranoid.

Or am I?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:03 pm

swoop42 wrote:
I'm not paranoid.

Or am I?

You're not paranoid if they're really out to get you.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:14 am

Interesting article, Stui.

It makes sense that serial killers can't just be wildly insane; there also needs to be a reasoning capability that allows careful planning.

You can probably guess my conclusion here, though: "The ability to plan" is an insufficient test of moral culpability. Plenty of extreme brain malfunctions keep basic planning capabilities intact.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:22 am

If the state approved the Death Penalty

would the state then be considered a serial killer?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:24 am

It might be just a serial killer series killer
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:48 am

think positive wrote:
It might be just a serial killer series killer

Being in the UK at the moment, I would recommend the series killer goes straight for the jugular of EastEnders Razz

Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:09 pm

So, George W Bush and Tony Blair were paranoid, in the clinical sense. Who'd have guessed?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:51 pm

Very interesting, although of course we need to keep in mind that there have to be many other operational factors in place. I've known a couple of paranoid schizophrenics and, as far as I can tell, they're not particularly violent people at all. Even if all or most serial killers match this diagnosis, it'd be interesting to know what proportion of paranoid schizophrenics actually go on to act out violently in this way.

Does anyone know what treatments are available for these people? Are there effective methods of prevention or early mitigation? From my discussions with one of the acquaintances I mentioned above, it seemed like whatever treatment she was under was barely even managing the condition let alone resolving it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:55 pm

Even if all serial killers are paranoid schizophrenics, doesn't mean all paranoid schizophrenics are serial killers in waiting! I'm guessing so go more defensive than offensive!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:44 pm

I've resurrected this thread and retitled it slightly because I found this other article today that was an an interesting read.

Quote:
Is there ever a good reason to kill? A new book by Chris Rhyss Edwards aims to answer that question

Quote:
Why would someone chat to over 250 killers?

Chris Rhyss Edwards was a soldier, institutionalised to accept men and women die during times of war.

However, as a peace-loving man, Edwards struggled to accept how 500,000 humans could die every year from acts of intentional violence, infanticide, gang violence and state executions.

In order to try to understand the instinct to kill, Edwards went in search of answers by speaking with soldiers, euthanasia doctors, cannibals and gangsters who had taken a life.

“The common denominator in the majority of people who have killed is that they all had their reasons,” he told news.com.au.

“For some people it was killing to protect family, for others it was about honour and then there were the murders committed out of pure hatred.”

The 43-year-old explained he rarely felt intimidated when talking with the killers.

“Most of these people were just like you and me, the only difference is they have done an extraordinary thing,” he said.

“Some now regret their actions, but many did not.”

Interesting read,

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/books/is-there-ever-a-good-reason-to-kill-a-new-book-by-chris-rhyss-edwards-aims-to-answer-that-question/story-fni0b87p-1227218712043

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: