Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tony Abbott - how long will he last as Prime Minister?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Culprit wrote:
More Defence personnel to IRAQ. Another Lie = Mission Creep.

Uh oh.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:03 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/02/australians-troll-ministers-imessage-texts-data-retention-bill?CMP=soc_567

How can Brandis introducer a bill on data retention when he simply doesn't understand technology. Moron.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Culprit wrote:

It's not a good move even if the Iraqi government has apparently approved of such deployment as it will help galvanise ISIS' sick propaganda which is it aimed at Western powers deploying troops to that part of the world. It's beens reiterated by the group themselves on numerous times.

However in saying that Iraqi forces definitely need some training as they're low on confidence after being overrun by ISIS militants in the north back in June and weren't well-equipped and prepared to take on an insurgency group like ISIS that thrives on sectarian tension and momentum but I don't think Australia and New Zealand should be the ones providing the training however.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:00 pm

Jezza wrote:
Culprit wrote:

It's not a good move even if the Iraqi government has apparently approved of such deployment as it will help galvanise ISIS' sick propaganda which is it aimed at Western powers deploying troops to that part of the world. It's beens reiterated by the group themselves on numerous times.

However in saying that Iraqi forces definitely need some training as they're low on confidence after being overrun by ISIS militants in the north back in June and weren't well-equipped and prepared to take on an insurgency group like ISIS that thrives on sectarian tension and momentum but I don't think Australia and New Zealand should be the ones providing the training however.
Jezza forget the spin. We are going back in, we called it training in Vietnam days and yes it was a Liberal Government then too.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:57 pm

Mate I'm not even agreeing with this deployment I'm just saying Iraqi military forces require proper training and strategic tactics to defeat ISIS in Iraq at the very least. It's something that ISIS exploited when they seized much of northern Iraq last year.

I just don't think the obligation should fall onto Australia and New Zealand to train these people unless you're hinting that Australia is going over there for other reasons than just training Iraqi forces.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:35 pm

Jezza wrote:
Mate I'm not even agreeing with this deployment I'm just saying Iraqi military forces require proper training and strategic tactics to defeat ISIS in Iraq at the very least. It's something that ISIS exploited when they seized much of northern Iraq last year.

America just spent ten years and 26 billion training the large and well-equipped Iraqi army, which promptly ran away from a vastly inferior untrained rabble of IS fighters, handing over half the country along with a whole bloody shopping list of tanks and missiles and anything else that seemed useful. Well, most of them ran away, the others swapped sides.

So why do we thing this next round of training will be different?

Right now, there are three significant military obstacles facing IS: in no special order, they are (1) the Kurds in the north; (2) US and allied air power; (3) Shia militia (religiously motivated gangs of irregulars, mostly) with Iranian backing.

Required is a genuine Iraqi military force, motivated, disciplined, and not ridden by sectarianism. Thus far we have no particular evidence to suggest that any such thing exists. The Tikrit campaign might indicate the emergence of such. Failure will prove that it still doesn't exist. Success won't prove the reverse. If the success comes about through air power and Iranian/Shia militia troops, it won't mean much. Only if the actual Iraqi forces can play a significant part in a victory will we be able to conclude that the worm has turned.

More training? If it's the same as the old, failed training, it will be completely useless. But what else is there to do? The vital thing, the essential thing, is a political reorganisation sufficient to provide some direction and unity to Iraq. Where that can come from or how it would work, I don't know. I fear that nobody knows.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:54 pm

That's some great posting there Tannin! I agree with practically all of that.

One thing that I would note is that while ISIS may be an 'inferior' force as you say and they had the advantage of the Iraqi military forces running away in fear and low confidence they do have many Sunni Militia groups like the 1920 Revolution Brigade, the Islamic Army of Iraq, Aswar al-Islam and old Baathist Party loyalists on their side backing them. That's why they were so successful in capturing towns like Mosul and Tikrit in the first place and being able to thrive in towns where sectarian divides were present and the Sunni citizens were also disenfranchised with the al-Maliki Iraqi government which was treating the Sunni minority like second-class citizens as opposed to the Shia majority hence they weren't too bothered when ISIS took over initially but UN human rights report suggests that the living conditions under Mosul have rapidly deteriorated and many citizens are unhappy but are too afraid to rise up and voice their criticisms and concerns towards ISIS.

In saying that, ISIS would struggle to seize most of Southern Iraq or Baghdad for that matter because they're Shia-domianted areas with not as much as sectarianism prevalent in this part of Iraq and they wouldn't have as much Sunni militia backing as they do in the North of Iraq.

The Kurds in the North are very strong and solid fighters and their claims of wanting to become an independent state known as 'Kurdistan' are gaining small momentum as this issue continues to unravel however Turkey doesn't want to see this independence occurring hence they bombed Kurdish targets when the Battle of Kobane was taking place between Syrian Kurds and ISIS fighters so that's a very major obstacle that the Kurds themselves would have to overcome to be liberated so to speak.

The anti-IS coalition airstrikes has been mostly effective in preventing ISIS from seizing further towns but it hasn't reduced the impact that ISIS has had in capabilities and staunch fighting to continue their attempted onslaught in Syria and Iraq. The Shia militia was always going to be against ISIS for obvious reasons so it's no surprise that with Iranian backing they'll have advanced weaponry to fend off ISIS one would you think.

Interesting you mention the Tikrit campaign as different groups are fighting here alongside each other in a sign that maybe the tide is potentially turning. Firstly, we have Iraqi military forces along with Shia militias and one thing that defeats this sectarian divide that's existed for a long time in Iraq is that many Sunni tribes have joined forces with these groups which is a great sign for mine as members of Sunni Tribes have also been murdered by ISIS in the past few months. Apparently as many as 30,000 people are a part of this coalition to reclaim Tikrit from ISIS. If IS lost Tikrit that would be a major loss for the group and really diminish this ongoing propaganda of them being an unstoppable juggernaut to their supporters.

If Australia and New Zealand are going over there to train the Iraqi military forces surely it couldn't be as bad as what America did a few years back. As I said I'm against this deployment but unfortunately our opinions don't count here.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:12 pm

There was a perfectly suitable and well trained Iraqi army; the US decided to disband it and they all went and became insurgent fighters.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:14 pm

What happened to suitable and well trained Iraqi army; the US decided to disband it and they all went and became insurgent fighters ?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:38 pm

Wokko wrote:
There was a perfectly suitable and well trained Iraqi army; the US decided to disband it and they all went and became insurgent fighters.

Will surely have to go down as one of the greatest tactical own goals of the 21st century. Apart from the original invasion of Iraq itself, of course. Hard to imagine a more colossal act of stupidity.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:40 am

We are putting our troops in a dangerous situation. Not only by the ISIS nutbags but sleepers that they are training waiting to kill them. Forget solutions, there is none. The culture there is for them not to live in peace.

We are using our troops as Cannon Fodder and amazingly it's an Ex Pom sending our troops to their death and the irony is it's on the 100th Anniversary of the murder of our troops at the hands of the Poms in Gallipoli.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:51 am

Yes, Abbott is definitely more WW1 Churchill than WW2.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:30 am

David wrote:

Our troops are going to Gallipoli? Shocked

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:01 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:

Our troops are going to Gallipoli? Shocked

Nah, just sent to their deaths by a Pom, just like what happened at Gallipolli... Rolling Eyes

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:14 pm

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Will surely have to go down as one of the greatest tactical own goals of the 21st century. Apart from the original invasion of Iraq itself, of course. Hard to imagine a more colossal act of stupidity.

No arguments there Wokko and David. It was a war that shouldn't have happened but what's done is done sadly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 24 of 30   

Jump to: