Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tony Abbott - how long will he last as Prime Minister?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm such a politics nerd, this has got me excited.

I like how Bishop says she wont challenge, doesn't mean she wont stand when a spill of all positions is called (a spill means there is no leader).

Turnbull has said he'll drop his support of an ETS if it'll mean he gets the leadership, should've done that years ago and we wouldn't be in this mess.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:50 pm

Wow, already! I wonder if they've jumped the gun? Break out the popcorn. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:54 pm

hmmm popcorn I have some in the cupboard I might have some, thanks David!
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:01 pm

Abbott GONE.

Spill next week will probably see Turnbull appointed as PM with Bishop as the deputy and (a huge maybe) Morrison as Treasurer.
The "new age" adults will now be in charge, at least for a little while till the next election. Rolling Eyes

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:15 pm

Turnbull has shown nothing by way of leadership, but you'd take him in a heartbeat over bat ears.

The problem is, the Glib sponsors will useTurnbull to put a sane face on destructive economics. That said, his moderation might lead to the end of the Howard racist hate vote, and that would be a great outcome in its own right. The nation could then reset to a more sane centre, albeit it at the expense of more banker-caused financial damage.

I am still certain Murdoch, Gina and cadre would prefer Bishop-Turnbull rather than the other way around, so it will come as a surprise to me, but the bankers rule the world as we know.

Gawd, imagine if bat ears survives and is emboldened! Perish the thought!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:35 pm

pietillidie wrote:
but you'd take him in a heartbeat over bat ears.

...and Shorten.

Not much of a fan of Turnball, but at least he seems to get things done.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:00 pm

Gina and Rupert hedging their bets to make sure at least Bishop can survive intact to implement their preferred policies?

C'mon you locals; any comments?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:26 pm

pietillidie wrote:
C'mon you locals; any comments?

Abbott, Morrison, Turnbull, Bishop, Brough, Pyne, Brandis, Cormoran, Abetz, Hunt .... why should we even care? If I keep finding fresh dog turds on my doorstep every time I read the paper, I don't really care whether it's the Labrador next door or the German Shepard cross from over the road what done it, I just want it to stop.

Given that 80% of the parliamentary Liberals are card-carrying Tea Party types dropping steaming dog-turd policies on the country, what difference does it make?

Election. Now.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:11 pm

Turnbull replacing Abbott could be a very good thing for the country.

I think he has the potential to be a very good PM and given a bit of time, disenfranchise the lunatic right in the party and bring it back closer to centre.. He could do several terms as a very good PM.

That would also be good for Labor if they use the opportunity insteading of wasting it, to install a real leader and get some real meaning again.

Unfortunately the most likely scenario is that the current cycle of crap precipitated by labor will continue until all politics disappears up it's own fundament and every except the utterly rusted on stops giving a **** and we just change parties every 3 years whether they need it or not, just like Tannins undies.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Turnbull replacing Abbott could be a very good thing for the country.I think he has the potential to be a very good PM and given a bit of time, disenfranchise the lunatic right in the party and bring it back closer to centre.

I think he has got Buckley's chance of achieving that. He'd need to sack pretty much the entire front bench for starters - is there even one moderate, non-Tea Party type left amongst them? I can't think of any, and even Turnbull voted for Hockey's horror budget and the ABC cuts and the evisceration of the education system and the doctor tax and the public service sackings and the health care cuts and all the rest of it.

And many of the back benchers are even more extreme - you have the loopy likes of George Christianson and Senator Bestiality and all their cronies there. What's Turnbull going to do? Draft in a cabinet of Labor MHRs to fill the gaps?

Besides, they hate him. They will only put Turnbull in again under the same circumstances that led Labor to return to the hated Rudd - blind panic just before an election.

stui magpie wrote:
Unfortunately the most likely scenario is that the current cycle of crap precipitated by labor

Wow! What an extraordinarily ridiculous thing to say! I'm quite honestly gobsmacked. Abbott's massive unpopularity, of course, has nothing whatever to do with Labor. Indeed, Labor has bent over backwards to keep right out of the way.. When it comes to wrecking a nation and destroying a government, Abbott is the master and doesn't need any help from anyone outside the likes of Hockey and Hunt and Pyne.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:41 pm

The cycle of crap I refer to is the practice of putting in place leaders, getting them elected as PM then replacing them when things turn to shit.

Labor created the standard, the Lib back benchers highly motivated by WIIFM are following the lead.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:19 pm

Bah, political parties have replaced their leaders, in government and out of it, with regularity ever since party politics was invented. Ever hear of a chap named Hewson? Replaced by Howard and Peacock. Ever hear of a PM called Gorton? Knifed by the Liberal Party while in office and replaced by the useless McMahon. Hawke replaced Haydon. Keating replaced Hawke (who most certainly didn't want to go). Napthine replaced Baileau. And so on. The Whigs and the Tories were playing musical leaders in the 17th Century, and the in-again, out-again court intrigues of the late Middle Ages are a whole shelf of encyclopedias on their own.

These days, it happens faster 'coz everything happens faster with all this polling and te 24-hour news cycle, but nothing fundamental had changed apart from the morality-free ruthlessness of the Liberal Party, which as gone from bad to very much worse since the failed pugilist got the top job.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:10 pm

Great to see Kevin Andrews is not in charge of anything important like defence. Shocked

"I believe the team of Tony Abbott and Julia Gillard is the best leadership team for the Liberal Party and therefore part of the best leadership team of the Coalition for the country," he said.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:12 pm

Culprit wrote:
Great to see Kevin Andrews is not in charge of anything important like defence. Shocked

"I believe the team of Tony Abbott and Julia Gillard is the best leadership team for the Liberal Party and therefore part of the best leadership team of the Coalition for the country," he said.

Well Gillard was instrumental in helping the Liberals win power, so she has been one of the more effective Liberal MPs for quite some time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 4 of 30   

Jump to: