Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Greens

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

1061 wrote:
But their candidate didn't stand by the Greens Policy so is she a Greens Candidate or an Independent?

What do you think?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:23 pm

I think Wokko's video had it right.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:02 pm

I think it's very funny, but I wouldn't take it too seriously. A great deal of Greens voters are just young urban educated people with a social conscience. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the Chaser group actually vote Green.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:26 pm

Wokko wrote:
The Greens are a high taxing, big government, nanny state party. While they like to profess liberty, the other side of their mouth likes to take it away. They're the party of 'social justice' rather than liberty, and the coercion and social isolation of those who go against their views makes a lie of their overtures of liberties and values of freedom. While the LDP certainly has some issues with their more anarcho capitalist policies (Immigration being one I particularly disagree with), they're overarching theme is personal freedom and individual liberty. It's not just part of their policy document, it's the reason for their existence.

Regardless, this is a position of total diametric opposites, so we're unlikely to get anywhere.

Good post Wokko! This post closely aligns with my own thoughts on the Greens and LDP.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:59 pm

Greens are a Pack of Hippies
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:33 pm

The Greens are ideologically suited to be a 3rd party, a party of protest by the left wing voters pissed off with Labor. They are not a major party at all and, to become one would require some ideological reform.

The inner city hipster bicycle riding soap avoiding fairtrade coffee drinking numbats whose understanding and experience of the environment more than 20km from the Melbourne CBD is purely theoretical who are their core constituency shit me to tears with their glib utter lack of self awareness and inability to comprehend alternate views.

If those dicknoses get in power in their own right, I'm out of here.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:13 pm

David wrote:
I think it's very funny, but I wouldn't take it too seriously. A great deal of Greens voters are just young urban educated people with a social conscience. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the Chaser group actually vote Green.

Your second sentence does it for me. I like young urban educated people with a social conscience, but i wouldn't trust them with a big grown-up and messy business like governing a modern state.

The trouble with the Greens is that they are a party of virtue, not of interests. All very idealistic parties start out with an ideal of virtue, and necessarily end up coercing and punishing those who do not conform. Virtue becomes identified with the state, amd we are back at the original sin of politics, where the people become creatures of the state, not the other way around. Albert Camus wrote his great work The Rebel about this.

A party of braod-based interests - the working class, the middle class, or whatever - is a party that must recognise that the alternate interest is necessary. It's a very different mindset, and it demands the necessity of co-option, negotiation and compromise.

Finally, the Greens policies on things like taxation and regulation will almost certainly impoverish the country by undermining foreign investment and reducing the overall tax take as the wealthy move offshore, taking jobs with them. You'll be left with even more reliance on natural resource-based wealth - which cannot be moved. Their position on immigration will also greatly undermine the wages and conditions of the low-skilled, or -since they demand a high minimum wage - lead to large scale unemployment and social breakdown.

I like some things about their policies (a return to localism is feasible and well overdue, and cartel-busting of , say, the big banks is also highly desirable). But those attractive ideas don't dissolve their fatal flaws.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:30 pm

Wokko wrote:
Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH_MBwQhGgA

Very funny Laughing Laughing Laughing

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:33 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH_MBwQhGgA

Very funny Laughing Laughing Laughing

But very true. Razz

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:52 am

Dave The Man wrote:

Is Adam Bandt a hippie? Is Scott Ludlam? Christine Milne? Richard Di Natale?

These are not just the people leading the party; they're increasingly the sort of people who are voting for them, too. You may not like the Greens, but I really think it's time to put the early-2000s cliches about them to rest. Unless you identify more with Abbott's radicals, I don't see why you wouldn't acknowledge that the Greens are at least a mainstream party in terms of policy, if not yet in terms of public support.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:11 pm

David wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Is Adam Bandt a hippie? Is Scott Ludlam? Christine Milne? Richard Di Natale?

These are not just the people leading the party; they're increasingly the sort of people who are voting for them, too. You may not like the Greens, but I really think it's time to put the early-2000s cliches about them to rest. Unless you identify more with Abbott's radicals, I don't see why you wouldn't acknowledge that the Greens are at least a mainstream party in terms of policy, if not yet in terms of public support.

So I guess you are 1 quite a Few people who think we could in the Near Future that the Leader of the Greens could be Prime Minster Rolling Eyes

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:49 pm

Not in the near future. It'll be a generation's time at least. But yes, I think it could happen.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:50 am

^ in a generation's time, they might have morphed into a party with policies which consider the laws of economic and social gravity. At which point, I'd consider voting for 'em.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: