Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training Report Friday 30th Jan

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazza wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:
Lol Laz no problem with any of that - big Coxy is far to massive to be anyone's whipping boy Surprised

True but E shouldn't diss him on Nick's without being challenged.. Shocked Cox has been here 5 mts and posters like E start to generalise just because he has been to the US. Well, I have been to the US on two or three occasions in my life too so big bloody deal. I have never generalised that all Americans are arseholes. I can’t see why we should accept as gospel his opinion that all Americans can’t kick a football Rolling Eyes

hi guys. since y'all seem to have been banging on about me all morning, I thought I'd send my regards.

Americans are not arseholes and I am offended that you would even make that suggestion. I apologize to all Americans for your poor taste and hypocrisy.

I will say it again. Americans cant kick! At least not the ones who grew up playing traditional American sports (which is 98% of the population). you would be amazed how many times even a poor footballer like yourself likely kicked a footy during your youth in Australia. Even guys who played basketball like pendles, probably kicked the ball 1 million times growing up. That motion gets repeated over and over and over again so that you don't even realize its a skill. In the US, they are throwing baseballs and footballs. their arms are amazing. Their kicking feet. Not so much.

Cox will never be a complete footballer. It just wont happen.... doesn't mean he wont get a game. doesn't mean he wont be able to impact games from time to time. But we are going to be so much better served waiting for Witts and more importantly, Grundy to grow into their bodies and realize their unbelievable potential.

Good luck to big cox though. I hope he enjoys his time in Australia. what a great ambassador he is and who knows, in 20 years, when a yank finally makes it to the big leagues in Australia, maybe they'll thank Mason for paving the way.....

PS: I love all of your opinions of my opinions. its what makes this board great. I thank both Jackass and Lazza for their opinions. I do hope Mason Cox proves me wrong. Its just that I cant see it happening in the modern game the way it is played now. We mock so many AFL footballers for their poor kicking when really they are elite kickers at every level other than AFL. Impossible for someone to learn when they start kicking at 18. Impossible. the only way for me to be wrong on this is if I am overrating the value of elite kicking.

PPS: If mason cox kicks a 50 metre goal in training, I will say woopeee. That is not what I'm talking about. I have thrown a 60 yard spiral with a football once. doesn't mean I'm ready to replace Aaron Rodgers.....

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:47 pm

E wrote:
Lazza wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:
Lol Laz no problem with any of that - big Coxy is far to massive to be anyone's whipping boy Surprised

True but E shouldn't diss him on Nick's without being challenged.. Shocked Cox has been here 5 mts and posters like E start to generalise just because he has been to the US. Well, I have been to the US on two or three occasions in my life too so big bloody deal. I have never generalised that all Americans are arseholes. I can’t see why we should accept as gospel his opinion that all Americans can’t kick a football Rolling Eyes

hi guys. since y'all seem to have been banging on about me all morning, I thought I'd send my regards.

Americans are not arseholes and I am offended that you would even make that suggestion. I apologize to all Americans for your poor taste and hypocrisy.

I will say it again. Americans cant kick! At least not the ones who grew up playing traditional American sports (which is 98% of the population). you would be amazed how many times even a poor footballer like yourself likely kicked a footy during your youth in Australia. Even guys who played basketball like pendles, probably kicked the ball 1 million times growing up. That motion gets repeated over and over and over again so that you don't even realize its a skill. In the US, they are throwing baseballs and footballs. their arms are amazing. Their kicking feet. Not so much.

Cox will never be a complete footballer. It just wont happen.... doesn't mean he wont get a game. doesn't mean he wont be able to impact games from time to time. But we are going to be so much better served waiting for Witts and more importantly, Grundy to grow into their bodies and realize their unbelievable potential.

Good luck to big cox though. I hope he enjoys his time in Australia. what a great ambassador he is and who knows, in 20 years, when a yank finally makes it to the big leagues in Australia, maybe they'll thank Mason for paving the way.....

PS: I love all of your opinions of my opinions. its what makes this board great. I thank both Jackass and Lazza for their opinions. I do hope Mason Cox proves me wrong. Its just that I cant see it happening in the modern game the way it is played now. We mock so many AFL footballers for their poor kicking when really they are elite kickers at every level other than AFL. Impossible for someone to learn when they start kicking at 18. Impossible. the only way for me to be wrong on this is if I am overrating the value of elite kicking.

PPS: If mason cox kicks a 50 metre goal in training, I will say woopeee. That is not what I'm talking about. I have thrown a 60 yard spiral with a football once. doesn't mean I'm ready to replace Aaron Rodgers.....

OK, agree to disagree. I hope Cox makes it at Collingwood and proves you wrong. Then he can thank American pioneers like Dwayne Armstrong who tried out at Essendon under Kevin Sheedy about 20 years ago! I also say that IF we had Shae Mac at Collingwood aged about 6 years younger, he would definitely have made it. He ran out of time age wise.

You say Cox wont make it.

I say Cox WILL make it.

Lets re-visit this debate in 2-3 years time!!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Lazza wrote:
E wrote:
Lazza wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

OK, agree to disagree. I hope Cox makes it at Collingwood and proves you wrong. Then he can thank American pioneers like Dwayne Armstrong who tried out at Essendon under Kevin Sheedy about 20 years ago! I also say that IF we had Shae Mac at Collingwood aged about 6 years younger, he would definitely have made it. He ran out of time age wise.

I say Cox WILL make it.

and he could play this year Exclamation

E 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:07 pm

Lazza wrote:
E wrote:
Lazza wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

I say Cox WILL make it.

Spot on Lazza. Nice call. At the end of the day, my opinion doesn't count for shit if Mason turns out to be an all-world talent. We'll know for sure in 3 years (probably sooner if he can make what I view to be a miraculous leap).

My main point is that, even if you think he might make it, putting him with De Goey and Moore on a list as proof we are moving in the right direction kind of undermines the point. In Moore, De Goey, Sharenberg, Freeman, Grundy, Adams, Frost and Broomhead, we appear to have drafted and recruited at least 8 players with a high likelihood (injuries aside) of being huge contributors to our next flag tilt with Pendles, Elliot, Sidey and Cloke. Others may feel really good about others on the list. If you are being realistic, I just don't think (given the odds stacked against him) that Cox belongs on that list just yet.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:10 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Lazza wrote:
E wrote:
Lazza wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

I say Cox WILL make it.

and he could play this year Exclamation

Well he certainly has a better shot than me (although if I get drafted as a mature rookie, then I too "could" play next year)........ seriously, if Cox gets a game, I will view that as a really bad development for our team, since Grundy and Witts will have to have gone backwards in a massive way for that to happen .......

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:15 pm

E wrote:
Spot on Lazza. Nice call. At the end of the day, my opinion doesn't count for shit if Mason turns out to be an all-world talent. We'll know for sure in 3 years (probably sooner if he can make what I view to be a miraculous leap).

My main point is that, even if you think he might make it, putting him with De Goey and Moore on a list as proof we are moving in the right direction kind of undermines the point. In Moore, De Goey, Sharenberg, Freeman, Grundy, Adams, Frost and Broomhead, we appear to have drafted and recruited at least 8 players with a high likelihood (injuries aside) of being huge contributors to our next flag tilt with Pendles, Elliot, Sidey and Cloke. Others may feel really good about others on the list. If you are being realistic, I just don't think (given the odds stacked against him) that Cox belongs on that list just yet.

Yeah you are right on that one. The others with their natural Aussie rules talent will definitely be moving at a far greater pace towards playing AFL than Cox. I never said that Cox wasn't a long term project AND also a (worthwhile) risk. Where we disagree is that I reckon he could end up being a handy AFL player down the track and whose kicking will improve with constant practice. Time will tell... Laughing Cool

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:18 pm

E wrote:
Well he certainly has a better shot than me (although if I get drafted as a mature rookie, then I too "could" play next year)........ seriously, if Cox gets a game, I will view that as a really bad development for our team, since Grundy and Witts will have to have gone backwards in a massive way for that to happen .......

OR they both plus Keefe and Gault get serious injuries... Twisted Evil

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:18 pm

Lazza wrote:
E wrote:

The other possibility is that Cox develops quicker than expected and so the club decides to rest one of Grundy or Witts for a game or two in order to give Cox some AFL experience. However, even if this eventuates, I'd expect it to be at least 2-3 seasons before Cox would be in a position to become a semi-regular member of our senior team.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:51 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Lazza wrote:
E wrote:

The other possibility is that Cox develops quicker than expected and so the club decides to rest one of Grundy or Witts for a game or two in order to give Cox some AFL experience. However, even if this eventuates, I'd expect it to be at least 2-3 seasons before Cox would be in a position to become a semi-regular member of our senior team.

Let's say disaster strikes and we lose Grundy-Witts-Keefe-White and Gault at the same time, if that day arrives Cox will play, and that scenario isn't 'that out there' considering our luck with injuries.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:49 pm

E wrote:

Just a comment here, you realise that Cox played soccer through until uni?

Yeah it's not the hold ball drop ball kick ball that we use, but it's still kicking, and from memory he was rep level before he grew a shitload, went to Uni and was asked to try basketball.

So Keeffe is probably a good benchmark player to compare Cox's progress against as he was a soccer player when we recruited him with almost no background in Aussie Rules.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:02 pm

Cox for the ressies this year... if he gets a game in the seniors on merit rather than 'doing a Bradbury' I am sure E will celebrate with the rest of us! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: