Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training Report Friday 30th Jan

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report, great reading.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:10 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
GoWoodsmen wrote:
in one of the drills two miss had to kneel down both holding the ball until the whistle was blown when one had to try and rip it from the other and then handball it to an outside player. Could not believe how fast that was!! We got there about 30 mins into training so it's possible we missed it although the start of training is normally pretty basic from memory.

Glad you mentioned that 'GoWoodsmen'. They've done that drill a few times over the summer and I haven't remembered to report it.

Interestingly, few of the drills involve two ruckmen; almost always the drills have been for stoppages. The drill with players on their knees, facing each orher and holding each end of the ball is an interesting one.

The emphasis all summer has been on clearances from stoppages. Interesting really, because most analysis I read last year suggested that winning clearances was no longer a priority with teams like Geelong or Collingwood.

Anybody care to comment on this?

Thanks again 'GoWoodsmen.'

Todays game is different but the old Yabbyism still applies about there being only 3 different phases. we got the ball; they got the ball; the ball is in dispute.

Practice what to do when you have the ball but you also have to create ways to get it when you don't have it. Apart from forcing a turnover the other way is to create a stoppage. Winning stoppages and then transitioning quickly to proactive offence will be the key.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:10 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
GoWoodsmen wrote:
in one of the drills two miss had to kneel down both holding the ball until the whistle was blown when one had to try and rip it from the other and then handball it to an outside player. Could not believe how fast that was!! We got there about 30 mins into training so it's possible we missed it although the start of training is normally pretty basic from memory.

Glad you mentioned that 'GoWoodsmen'. They've done that drill a few times over the summer and I haven't remembered to report it.

Interestingly, few of the drills involve two ruckmen; almost always the drills have been for stoppages. The drill with players on their knees, facing each orher and holding each end of the ball is an interesting one.

The emphasis all summer has been on clearances from stoppages. Interesting really, because most analysis I read last year suggested that winning clearances was no longer a priority with teams like Geelong or Collingwood.

Anybody care to comment on this?

Thanks again 'GoWoodsmen.'

Todays game is different but the old Yabbyism still applies about there being only 3 different phases. we got the ball; they got the ball; the ball is in dispute.

Practice what to do when you have the ball but you also have to create ways to get it when you don't have it. Apart from forcing a turnover the other way is to create a stoppage. Winning stoppages and then transitioning quickly to proactive offence will be the key.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:27 pm

Geelong was down on clearance numbers last season, but couldn't that be because not many stoppages were created with their game style? I doubt they were beaten in clearances all that often against their immediate opponant, without being 100% sure.

IMO clearances are very important.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:59 pm

Geelong set up at stoppages so that if they didn't win they were in prime position to create a turnover. The actual stoppage itself lost some value because of their success in winning it back.

That should have been scouted and tactics in place to deal with that, so we're back to winning the stoppages.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:15 pm

[Mason Cox.... boy, if he can learn the ebb and flow he could be an amazing story. His marking and kicking are already seemingly quite good... and he is just huge.. head and shoulders above everyone. Not sure what kind of athlete he is. I'm cautious because we all know how hard it will be but I actually think he's got a shot at playing senior footy.. if we can find a spot for him.]

Glad to hear you say that Cox's kicking was good.............

Poster E, please note... Rolling Eyes

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:44 pm

Lazza wrote:
[Mason Cox.... boy, if he can learn the ebb and flow he could be an amazing story. His marking and kicking are already seemingly quite good... and he is just huge.. head and shoulders above everyone. Not sure what kind of athlete he is. I'm cautious because we all know how hard it will be but I actually think he's got a shot at playing senior footy.. if we can find a spot for him.]

Glad to hear you say that Cox's kicking was good.............

Poster E, please note... Rolling Eyes

Yes, reports like this are great but lets see how he adapts to VFL before we start getting too excited.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:52 pm

Agreed on big Coxy - let us not forget that when Pebs went over there he walked into a gauranteed spot as designated kicker right from the word go.

Yanks aren't natural kickers, nor are they natural markers and they rarely have to deal with a bouncing oval ball - let alone bounce it themselves or handball the bloody thing!

Big Coxy is doing bloody well adapting but there is a helluva lot for a Yank to adjust to.

Here's hoping he makes the grade.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:01 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
Agreed on big Coxy - let us not forget that when Pebs went over there he walked into a gauranteed spot as designated kicker right from the word go.

Yanks aren't natural kickers, nor are they natural markers and they rarely have to deal with a bouncing oval ball - let alone bounce it themselves or handball the bloody thing!

Big Coxy is doing bloody well adapting but there is a helluva lot for a Yank to adjust to.

Agree with both you and Jackcass in the above posts but I still want to see poster E give Cox a fair chance at making it instead of ridiculing him on every occasion Cox's name is mentioned. I want Cox to stick it right up poster E by becoming an excellent bloody kick and ruckman... Twisted Evil Razz

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:17 pm

Lol Laz no problem with any of that - big Coxy is far to massive to be anyone's whipping boy Surprised
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 am

Lazza wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

Agree with both you and Jackcass in the above posts but I still want to see poster E give Cox a fair chance at making it instead of ridiculing him on every occasion Cox's name is mentioned. I want Cox to stick it right up poster E by becoming an excellent bloody kick and ruckman... Twisted Evil Razz

I think you're over reacting to what are quite reasonable comments from E about posters including Cox into lists of players who'll develop and impact at senior level this year. He has repeatedly clarified his position specific to the likelihood of Cox adapting to AFL footy based on his personal experience of living in the US. I can't recall anything the constitutes ridicule. Pessimism at best. And if you chose to crusade against every pessemistic post you'd be a busy man. Time to build a bridge.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:27 am

jackcass wrote:
Lazza wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

I think you're over reacting to what are quite reasonable comments from E about posters including Cox into lists of players who'll develop and impact at senior level this year. He has repeatedly clarified his position specific to the likelihood of Cox adapting to AFL footy based on his personal experience of living in the US. I can't recall anything the constitutes ridicule. Pessimism at best. And if you chose to crusade against every pessemistic post you'd be a busy man. Time to build a bridge.

E has been extremely sarcastic about Cox but maybe you might have missed those particular posts. E has every right to his opinion based on his US experience but the fact is that he has NOT given Cox any chance to prove that he CAN kick a footy before generalising all Americans into the "They cant kick" category. I have seen Shea Mac kick a goal from 50 metres out so E is wrong on generalising about all Americans. I want to be fair and give Cox a go before sarcastically criticising his kicking and stating that he won’t make it at Collingwood.
And BTW with all due respect, you are entitled to your opinion as I'm to mine. I don’t need a condescending lecture from you on every post I make Daz. I perceive and look at stuff differently to you and that's a great thing!!! Twisted Evil Razz Thank goodness for small mercies... Cool

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:33 am

droversdog65 wrote:
Lol Laz no problem with any of that - big Coxy is far to massive to be anyone's whipping boy Surprised

True but E shouldn't diss him on Nick's without being challenged.. Shocked Cox has been here 5 mts and posters like E start to generalise just because he has been to the US. Well, I have been to the US on two or three occasions in my life too so big bloody deal. I have never generalised that all Americans are arseholes. I can’t see why we should accept as gospel his opinion that all Americans can’t kick a football Rolling Eyes

E 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:00 pm

droversdog65 wrote:

No he didn't. It was his brother who made it as a kicker. ant tried out and was offered a spot on the practice squad but decided he didn't want to live too far from his mom.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:02 pm

Goodbye
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: