Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training Report Friday 30th Jan

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:10 pm
Post subject: Training Report Friday 30th JanReply with quote

Hey guys,
Finally made it down for my annual visit to training this morning. I should start by saying I had my 5yo with me who was more interested in kicking the footy than watching training so bear with me!!

Ok... where to start... training wasn't watched by more than 20 people at any point. Obviously people had better things to do... like work! Smile

Start with the easy ones... Reid was doing a hell of a lot of running but didn't join in the main group as far as I could tell. Tooves also consigned to laps. Both were running at a good pace though, not just jogging.

Oh.... at the start of the session I did catch both Seedsman.... and Moore walking around the boundary. So good news, he's out of the moonboot. Didn't look proppy at all so I wouldn't imagine he's too far away from resuming.

De Goey another who was consigned to laps. Didn't get a chance to talk to any of them so don't ask me what's wrong with em although I think most are public knowledge.

Abbott another running laps.

On to the drills.... .from what I could see the majority of the drills today centred around decision making - and quick decision making. Initially it appeared the players were only allowed to kick as there was a long stretch where I didn't see a single handball.

Oh yeah... two umpires were on hand to adjudicate all of the match practice stuff. They were there for at least an hour, if not 90 minutes.

Now for some observations (albeit on limited evidence but oh well):
- On numerous occasions Frost beat Cloke easily in marking contests. Pretty sure the majority it was a significantly reduced field so it wasn't like Cloke had a paddock to run into.
- Speaking of Frost... WOW, just wow. His reading of the play is even better than last year. Was super impressed. He is going to be our general again this year.
- Taylor Adams... boy can this kid find the ball but in my eyes he really struggles to make a quick correct decision with what to do with it... not so much in transition but when he's been paid a free kick or taken a mark. Having said that he delivered with precision on numerous occasions. Excited to see what he can do.
- Varcoe's class is so obvious. Every time he disposes of the ball it is just sublime. And boy when he puts the afterburners on.... just leaves everyone in his wake. I have a sneaking suspicion despite how the Cats used him last year he will be used front of centre for us this year. A massive weapon in my eyes.
- Mason Cox.... boy, if he can learn the ebb and flow he could be an amazing story. His marking and kicking are already seemingly quite good... and he is just huge.. head and shoulders above everyone. Not sure what kind of athlete he is. I'm cautious because we all know how hard it will be but I actually think he's got a shot at playing senior footy.. if we can find a spot for him.
- Bloody hard to work out who is who without numbers and/or binoculars. I recognised most players but didn't see Goldsack, Young or Brown at any stage.
- At one stage after stuffing up a drill (it was match practice but they obviously had a specific game plan) one of the players screamed at everyone to lift the intensity.
- Overall impression was that we moved the ball well mostly. Still too many kicks that left you shaking your head. Handballing was for the most part clean.

That's it guys... sorry I wish I had more but my boy distracted me too much!

Go Pies

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mate.

1st Time I heard De Goey was just doing laps.

I say they will take it Slowly with Moore to getting him back to Full Training but glad to hear it was nothing too bad

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Thanks Woodsman much appreciated. Great to hear your impressions on Frost.
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:35 am

On ya mate
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:13 am

Thanks very much 'Go Woodsmen'. I've been hanging out for some news this week. As a matter of fact, I thought the boys were all in NZ so didn't drive down this morning.

Interesting to hear De Goey has an injury. Last week he left the track early and I thought he may be injured but I didn't hear any more about it.

Dave, did De Goey take part in full training last week when you were there?

A question for you too 'Woodsmen;' in match play, who took the kick ins from scored behinds? Was it Langdon?

Another question, when do the boys head to NZ?

rand corp 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:31 am

Thank you for this report
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:23 am

Thanks woodsman
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:17 am

Neil, to the best of my recollection there wasn't a single drill with full back kick outs. Almost all drills had the coaches throwing or kicking the ball into play or throwing the ball up. in one of the drills two miss had to kneel down both holding the ball until the whistle was blown when one had to try and rip it from the other and then handball it to an outside player. Could not believe how fast that was!!

We got there about 30 mins into training so it's possible we missed it although the start of training is normally pretty basic from memory.

Oh forgot to mention Scharenburg was running laps too. He must have a fair tank on him because he didn't look to be struggling with the running at all and he was moving at a fair pace!! No sign of Caff today as far as I could tell.

Boys head to NZ 'this weekend' according the the cfc website.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:35 am

Thanks for the report Woodsman. Maybe one day your 5 year old will be the subject of someone else's training report on Collingwood players.
You never know.
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:40 am

Harrysz wrote:
Thanks for the report Woodsman. Maybe one day your 5 year old will be the subject of someone else's training report on Collingwood players.
You never know.

In my dreams!!! Think he's going to end a bit short - which means if he can play the game he's a monty to end up at the Pies!!!! Smile

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:19 pm

GoWoodsmen wrote:
in one of the drills two miss had to kneel down both holding the ball until the whistle was blown when one had to try and rip it from the other and then handball it to an outside player. Could not believe how fast that was!! We got there about 30 mins into training so it's possible we missed it although the start of training is normally pretty basic from memory.

Glad you mentioned that 'GoWoodsmen'. They've done that drill a few times over the summer and I haven't remembered to report it.

Interestingly, few of the drills involve two ruckmen; almost always the drills have been for stoppages. The drill with players on their knees, facing each orher and holding each end of the ball is an interesting one.

The emphasis all summer has been on clearances from stoppages. Interesting really, because most analysis I read last year suggested that winning clearances was no longer a priority with teams like Geelong or Collingwood.

Anybody care to comment on this?

Thanks again 'GoWoodsmen.'

BHPIE 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:39 pm

Interesting neil, what do u think was
last yrs n previous yrs focus?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:58 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
Thanks very much 'Go Woodsmen'. I've been hanging out for some news this week. As a matter of fact, I thought the boys were all in NZ so didn't drive down this morning.

Interesting to hear De Goey has an injury. Last week he left the track early and I thought he may be injured but I didn't hear any more about it.

Dave, did De Goey take part in full training last week when you were there?

Yes - De Goey did Full Training last Friday

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:24 pm

Thanks GW.

Interesting that we are going to NZ for our training camp as I was under the impression we were set for some serious heat stress training this off season like Port have been doing overseas.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:01 pm

Thanks for the report Go Woodsman. Great stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: