Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2015 Australian of the Year contenders.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:02 am
Post subject: 2015 Australian of the Year contenders.Reply with quote

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-24/australian-of-the-year-nominees-australia-day-2015/6042836

Victoria: Anti-domestic violence campaigner Rosie Batty

What I personally would like to see and work towards is the cultural change, the actual conversations men have between men, calling it for what it is - it's a low act, it's a weak act - and the community response, where we're not judging the victims by being critical and asking questions like, 'Why doesn't she leave?'"

If last year is any indication Rosie is a shoe in for this as she has had so much media coverage, not that she's looked for it of course.

New South Wales: Adoption campaigner Deborah-lee Furness

Every day counts in these kids' lives, the damage that is done by this sort of neglect is huge and we – everyone, not just the government, the community - everyone needs to speak up on behalf of these kids and urge our politicians to make a legislation that serves the kids.

Deb has her Hubby to comfort her if she misses out so she shouldn't win. Cool

Queensland: Child protection advocate Hetty Johnston

We really have to remember that the only people who know who the offenders are, are their victims, so if we don't reach out and support them, encourage them to come forward and just be grateful when they do and thank them for it and support them, then that's not going to happen and the offenders continue to offend and our 59,000 Australian children every year will continue to be sexually assaulted.

Hetty has been trumped by Ms Batty I'm afraid.

Western Australia: Neuroscientist Professor Lyn Beazley

We're smart but we've got to be, I think, even smarter in the future [with] all the challenges the world is facing. Australia is not exempt from those and so that's why I'm so keen to make sure that every young person has the chance to learn and to love science – whether they become a scientist or not – an awareness is going to be important for the next generation.

Um yeah/nah

Northern Territory: Indigenous activist Rosalie Kunoth-Monks

What I hope for my grandchildren is that they take their place as equals within the safety of the existing culture of their people, which are the First Nations people, and from there access any knowledge from around the world. But that doesn't only apply to First Nations people, it also applies across the sphere with our young people ... that's where I would like to concentrate: on the children, as well as the elderly and also to try and assist in the elimination of poverty which should not exist in Australia.

Trumped by Goodes sudden rise last year.

Tasmania: Gay rights activist Rodney Croome

Why do same-sex partners have to wait any longer to be able to walk down the aisle? Why do the young people we're talking about have to wait any longer to have their message sent to them that they are equal and that they belong and that they don't need to feel excluded from society? This reform is going to happen, let's make it happen soon and move on.

My Choice but will not happen.

In 1994 this man walked into a Police Station with his partner to confess to their crimes of having homosexual sexual relations. He has been fighting for GTI(gay/trans/intersexed all the other letters are not needed imo) rights ever since.

Australian Capital Territory: Disability campaigner Glenn Keys

I think we see what's going on around the world and we realise what a great country Australia is and people with a disability often do not have the voice to be able to be heard, to talk about how they could be better integrated within our community, the service they could bring, the genuine joy they can deliver us and better where we live today.

Yeah great cause but in Caseys words it's "not pretty enough".

South Australia: London bombing survivor Gill Hicks

It's to address this conversation of how do we, in the face of constant rising fear both nationally and internationally – a fear from the growing sense of terrorism - build then a confidence within ourselves to not only meet that fear but overcome that fear and work through that fear to another side. And that's what Being the Bridge was about: how do we become advocates for a more unified society?

Too soon after the Sydney siege.
No doubt the committee would rather want to see if a survivor from that siege pops up in the years to come as some sort of campaigner worthy of the gong.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:11 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetty Johnston? You've gotta be kidding me. Shocked

Rodney Croome would be my choice, but perhaps best to wait until the cause he has been fighting so hard for has been fully realised. Otherwise, the WA, NT and ACT candidates all sound worthy enough.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:47 am

Great priorities there David

Either of Vic or Qld for me

Safe kids
Safe spouses

Come before equal marriage rights

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:11 am

think positive wrote:

Safe kids
Safe spouses

Did you read what I posted about him walking into a Police Station to be arrested for committing the crime of Gay Sex? He does much more than lobby for marriage equality which as I've said before is not really required in Australia.

I agree that DV is a Huge Issue and that it often leads to suicide which leads me to think suicide is actually the biggest issue facing Australia but as we can see by these nominations people fighting suicide don't get much attention.

We can only discuss those who have been nominated not those we think shoulda/coulda been.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:41 am

think positive wrote:

Safe kids
Safe spouses

I'm all for protecting children and would have been happy for an anti-abuse campaigner to be nominated, but Hetty Johnston is an atrocious representative for that cause. Just off the top of my head, she's campaigned to get respected artists like Bill Henson and Robert Crumb (!) tarred and feathered, distributed bizarre anti-abuse booklets in schools, supported damaging intiatives like publicly acccessible sex offender databases and spent a good deal of the last decade being a shrill, self-promoting rent-a-quote with a reputation for speaking first and thinking later. I think it says a lot about where Queensland is right now that she is that state's nominee.

As for Batty, I don't know that much about her, but it seems to me that her profile (brought about mostly by having suffered the tragedy of having a child murdered) far outweighs her actual work as a campaigner. Of course, she'd still be a better choice than many past winners (Steve Waugh, anyone?), but I'd rather see a low-profile candidate with many years of hard work in their field rewarded. Hence my preference for the Tas, WA or NT nominees.

laird 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:48 am

4 way tie- Vic. NSW. Qld. ACT.

or Adam Goodes.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:05 am

All pretty worthy nominees.
I'm going for WA's Lyn Beazley.
She's a ripper - 30+ years working for the advancement of Science, Education, Conservation & Health.
Amazing woman. If we had more like her the world would be a much better place!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:21 am

David wrote:
think positive wrote:

Safe kids
Safe spouses

I'm all for protecting children and would have been happy for an anti-abuse campaigner to be nominated, but Hetty Johnston is an atrocious representative for that cause. Just off the top of my head, she's campaigned to get respected artists like Bill Henson and Robert Crumb (!) tarred and feathered, distributed bizarre anti-abuse booklets in schools, supported damaging intiatives like publicly acccessible sex offender databases and spent a good deal of the last decade being a shrill, self-promoting rent-a-quote with a reputation for speaking first and thinking later. I think it says a lot about where Queensland is right now that she is that state's nominee.

As for Batty, I don't know that much about her, but it seems to me that her profile (brought about mostly by having suffered the tragedy of having a child murdered) far outweighs her actual work as a campaigner. Of course, she'd still be a better choice than many past winners (Steve Waugh, anyone?), but I'd rather see a low-profile candidate with many years of hard work in their field rewarded. Hence my preference for the Tas, WA or NT nominees.

Publicly accessible sex offender records should already exist, name and shame

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:22 am

laird wrote:
4 way tie- Vic. NSW. Qld. ACT.

or Adam Goodes.

I like the first four!!!!!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:48 am

David wrote:
think positive wrote:

Safe kids
Safe spouses

Harsh on Steve Waugh, David - he held the most important post in Australia for years and performed with great distinction. This country hasn't had a leader of his stature on the world stage since he retired.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:21 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:

Safe kids
Safe spouses

And what of people who were having consensual gay sex back in the day when it was illegal who's names are on such a list. Campaigners like Croome have finally been able to get some states to fix this blemish, only last year were convictions for gay sex criminal acts removed from Victorian peoples records.

Last edited by 1061 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:25 pm

No offence to Steve intended; I'm sure he was a very good cricketer. It just seems a bit odd giving the award to a sportsman as opposed to, say, a scientist or charity worker. I guess that's just the nature of the award.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:55 pm

/\i think he was being sarcastic David!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:58 pm

When was he?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:58 pm

1061 wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:

Safe kids
Safe spouses

And what of people who were having consensual gay sex back in the day when it was illegal who's names are on such a list. Campaigners like Croome have finally been able to get some states to fix this blemish, only last year were convictions for gay sex criminal acts removed from Victorian peoples records.

I'm talking real offenders, common sense says gay sex should not be on there in this day and age unless it's not consensual

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: