Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2015 Australian of the Year contenders.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Jo she has indeed but I still sort of feel uncomfortable with the Australian of the Year title - as she herself said prior to the award being announced. My hesitation is that she wasn't a voice or an advocate prior to the tragic loss of her son despite years of DV which is fine - but many have been and have suffered loss and maybe just maybe they should be acknowledged. It just sort of reeks of a " political agenda" award - much like Goodes last year when the focus was racism - just all a bit " convenient" for me.

FWIW I don't think people who are paid to do a job - doctors, scientists et al should be eligible - they are doing a job they usually love and may do good things etc but this is their profession they are paid and there are professional recognitions for such work.

For me CFA, SES, Lifeline Volunteers, Kids helpline volunteers and the like are the people who should be nominated and rewarded - IF - we must have such an award.

Last edited by Morrigu on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:29 pm

Cut the hyperbole, disagreeing with her appointment isn't 'hate' nor is it 'ill-informed'. Vociferously denigrating her (like I saw a few do on facebook) may deserve that reply but apart from some quiet criticism from DtM, I haven't seen anything close to that here.

I would suggest Phil Cleary just off the top of my head has done far more, harder and more valuable work in this field. Being highly visible and a media sacred cow shouldn't make someone Australian of the Year.

Don't know why I even care though, the Queens Birthday Honors are the real awards anyway, this is just government sponsored rubbish. Surprised you're not up in Tone's grille about it Tannin, it's transparent propganda.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:26 am

It is a shame they can't look hard enough and find say a retired farmer who has spent 60 years in the local CFA holding all positions who even in his 80s goes down every day to prep the appliance while his wife has spent the last 60 years making morning teas for the CFA volunteers and give it to them both. Or anyone similar. The award is a joke as it is. Dave the man makes some interesting observations. I am also surprised they didn't give it posthumously to Phillip Hughes. Fiona Wood is hard done by being put in the same company as some of the other winners.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:48 am

And Angus Houston gets a Knighthood for amongst other things looking for plane they never found. The people who found the graves at pheasant Wood and those that discovered the resting place of HMAS Sydney 11 are still waiting for some recognition.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:25 am

Before you complain too much about Batty's award, get a load of this:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/26/prince-philip-angus-houston-named-australian-knights?CMP=soc_567

Belongs in the "Things that make you go WTF" thread, really, but this is on a whole new level. Abbott's literally gone mad with power!

Let's get this straight:

1) An honour intended for Australians has gone to a member of another country's royal family who has set foot in the country, like, twice.

And

2) The sole contribution of this man to the country over 60-odd years has been to, what, cut a few ribbons?

Tony. Has. Lost. The. Plot.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:50 am

This is more or less what Abbott is doing:

http://youtu.be/Lc0bTRsQfDY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:02 am

ronrat wrote:
And Angus Houston gets a Knighthood for amongst other things looking for plane they never found. The people who found the graves at pheasant Wood and those that discovered the resting place of HMAS Sydney 11 are still waiting for some recognition.

He's done a bit more than that.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:34 pm

David wrote:
Before you complain too much about Batty's award, get a load of this:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/26/prince-philip-angus-houston-named-australian-knights?CMP=soc_567

Belongs in the "Things that make you go WTF" thread, really, but this is on a whole new level. Abbott's literally gone mad with power!

Let's get this straight:

1) An honour intended for Australians has gone to a member of another country's royal family who has set foot in the country, like, twice.

And

2) The sole contribution of this man to the country over 60-odd years has been to, what, cut a few ribbons?

Tony. Has. Lost. The. Plot.

Tony never had the Plot

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:43 pm

It is surprising that someone who came to power largely because he could pick the simplistic politics out of a complex issue and make it ring, shoudl prove so politically tone-deaf (pun intended) once he got there.
partypie 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:19 am

1061 wrote:
ronrat wrote:

He's done a bit more than that.

Didn't he preside over an organisation riddled with bullying, sexual harassment and ill treatment of anyone who complained about it?

Watching the TV news was surreal today with Prince Phillip getting a knighthood and nobody having a clue what for.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:11 am

Australians of the Year have been lost in Big Ears ideology. Rose Batty's message has been lost. What a disgrace. In saying that Goodes is out of the picture.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:20 am

More on Sir Prince Philip:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/26/tony-abbott-admits-colleagues-not-consulted-on-prince-philip-knighthood

I love the reaction of the (Country Liberal) leader of the NT: "makes us look like a bunch of tossers". But what's really funny is David Flint's justification at the end:

Quote:
He has been the consort to our Queen of Australia for so long, hes stood beside her, he said.

Hes never been paid, theres going to be no golden handshake or anything like that. Its a job hes done as a volunteer.

And all he's gotten for marrying Liz has been unimaginable wealth, a palace, a castle getaway in the country and people waiting on him hand and foot. What self-sacrifice!

In the meantime, I move that next year's knighthood go to Britney Spears for her years of selfless dedication to the pop music lovers of Australia.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:58 pm

Is the ALP paying the Mad Monk? - they must be. I'd be checking his bank account details.

He keeps on giving & may he continue. Please don't change a thing Tones. Keep at it Laughing Laughing Wink

partypie 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:01 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Is the ALP paying the Mad Monk? - they must be. I'd be checking his bank account details.

He keeps on giving & may he continue. Please don't change a thing Tones. Keep at it Laughing Laughing Wink

Could be he's taking the heat off Campbell Newmwn who might lose his seat next weekend
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:23 pm

partypie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Could be he's taking the heat off Campbell Newmwn who might lose his seat next weekend

The LNP are $1:10 favourites, so the leader losing his seat in a winning election would be (I would imagine) unheard of. He is a twat though. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: