Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Question regarding 457 visas

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for all.

A workplace has a bank of Casual employees they call in when needed, if the employer is calling up Australian Residents 1stly before calling workers on 457's would that be fair or unfair?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:06 pm

1061 wrote:
Question for all.

A workplace has a bank of Casual employees they call in when needed, if the employer is calling up Australian Residents 1stly before calling workers on 457's would that be fair or unfair?

457 Visas are meant to cover skill shortages, so if there are enough Australians to meet labor demand then they should always come first. So, fair.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:31 pm

Wokko wrote:
1061 wrote:
Question for all.

457 Visas are meant to cover skill shortages, so if there are enough Australians to meet labor demand then they should always come first. So, fair.

OK so in a workplace where immigrants who are now Permanent Residents call up people from a similar background to theirs who are currently on 457's first before Australia Residents?

Is that fair or unfair?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Unfair, of course.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:06 pm

Nepotism among a religious or ethnic group? Never!

Laughing

Grossly unfair.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:19 pm

I CBF going to the department of immigration website and checking the rules, but I didn't think that people were able to be employed as a casual on a 457 Visa. In order to be able to get the visa and a job in the first place there is supposed to be a process that can demonstrate that there's no Aussies available and able to do the work, and then there's a legislated minimum amount they need to earn annually, which is bloody hard to guarantee if they're casual.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:56 pm

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/macedon-ranges/chefs-cooks/09-01-2015-bigturn-job-vacancies-qld-vic-nsw-rsms-visa/1066975804

Quote:
BigTurn is a professional Recruitment consulting agency located in Sydney, specializing in the placement of candidates for the purpose of RSMS Visas ; 457/ENS Visas also available for more experienced candidates. The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) aims to assist regional business owners in finding foreign talent as they cannot find suitable local candidates due to a shortage of skills.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lyndhurst/other-hospitality/apprentice-baker-visa-457-sponsorship/1068197503

Quote:
The Cupcake Desire bakes fresh cupcakes and cakes everyday and is now looking for a Apprentise baker or pasty chef to join our team. Must Have experience with baking and icing of cupcakes, cakes and desserts. Visa 457 sponsorship, if you can prove yourself to be a asset to the company. Immidiate start available. Must have drivers licence and own vehicle.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/southbank/health-sports-beauty/hairdresser-wanted/1068149113

Quote:
Please note: 457 sponsorship available for the right candidate willing to go the extra mile.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:18 pm

^

None of those links were for casual jobs, all for either full or part time.

The first link had multiple vacancies only 1 of which was available to a 457 visa holder and only then in the circumstances you quoted - no suitable local candidates.

The fact that some shonky cnuts rort a government program is not exactly earth shaking news. Again, FWIW here's a link to some info about how the 457 visa program is intended to work.

https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/457.aspx

I know where I work, when we advertise jobs online we have a small questionnaire people have to complete, the declarations. One of them is that we ask people to certify that they have the right to live and work in Australia. The number of applicants from India and China who say that they do, but list their home address as Mumbai or Shanghai is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:27 pm

You going to tell me there's no Hair Dressers or Apprentice Bakers in Australia?

I thought 457's were for jobs that could not be filled by Aussies!

It's a $£$%^%%$ rort.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:33 pm

Did you $£$%^%%$ read what I wrote?

Just to spoon feed you, you may have missed this bit in what I said..

Quote:
The fact that some shonky cnuts rort a government program is not exactly earth shaking news.

Rolling Eyes

If you're that pissed off about it, report the ads to the department of immigration instead of sooking here. FMD.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:35 pm

Lets face it I'm more likely to get something done about it here than reporting it!
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:12 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

None of those links were for casual jobs, all for either full or part time.

The first link had multiple vacancies only 1 of which was available to a 457 visa holder and only then in the circumstances you quoted - no suitable local candidates.

The fact that some shonky cnuts rort a government program is not exactly earth shaking news. Again, FWIW here's a link to some info about how the 457 visa program is intended to work.

https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/457.aspx

I know where I work, when we advertise jobs online we have a small questionnaire people have to complete, the declarations. One of them is that we ask people to certify that they have the right to live and work in Australia. The number of applicants from India and China who say that they do, but list their home address as Mumbai or Shanghai is ridiculous.

at my last job i established the employer as a small business sponsor for the 457 visa. in practice, i had to engage a migration agent and pay a considerable fee for this (to the agent and the government).

you are required to provide evidence of job descriptions and the salary (i.e. employment contract of someone in that or a similar role) for the role you cannot fill locally. the role must be paid at market rates so any 457 visa candidate you appoint will be paid similarly to a local.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:15 pm

Then it looks like we have a hairdresser shortage!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:20 pm

Maybe we do have a hairdresser shortage, or maybe we just have an employer rorting a system.

Just to be clear, whatever the current state of the 457 visa legislation is, you have Labor to thank/blame as they had 8 years in the seat and the Libs haven't (to my knowledge) changed a thing in that area.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:28 pm

Which is why I tweeted that ad to Mitchell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: