Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What excites you about 2015

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Simply, the youngest Magpie team I can recall, with the most massive upside I can recall, the most potential I can recall. Fact.

BIG call there Piesnchess.

I recall that for potential success, the 1988/89 teams (with a host of youngsters who had recently won an under 19's flag) were red hot for success, which they got in 1990.

This team is nearly as good as those teams but need to reach their potential in 2-3 years.

Perhaps Lazza mate, but I still think this team is even younger than the side in the late 80s, but I am open to correction. Confused Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:03 am

Lazza wrote:
E wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Looking forward to seeing the yank play.

i believe his new aboriginal nickname is canna gonna gotta!

As in "canna kick, canna handball, canna chest mark...but gonna make it (coz i gotta potential)"

In two years, his aboriginal nickname will be still canna gonna!

as in "still canna kick, still canna handball, still canna chest mark...and so Ima gonna"

Did a Yank doctor drop you on your head as a baby mate?

Harsh and unsubstantiated nonsense this early in his career.

You must truly hate Yanks like some posters hate others at the club... Rolling Eyes

i love americans. They are my favorite people and my closest friends. I've also played US national championships of aussie rules and have seen some absolutely remarkable athletes be very ordinary AFL players (or at least using AFL calibre talent as the comp).

So its not that i hate 'em. I'm just a little wiser about them than you so can speak with a little more authority than you.

I hope you dont take offence at that.

Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:49 am

^ I did High School in the States and was by default the football team's punter as I was the only one who knew how to kick a footy. Its not something they do at all
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:15 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Simply, the youngest Magpie team I can recall, with the most massive upside I can recall, the most potential I can recall. Fact.

I recall that for potential success, the 1988/89 teams (with a host of youngsters who had recently won an under 19's flag) were red hot for success, which they got in 1990.

This team is nearly as good as those teams but need to reach their potential in 2-3 years.

I'm with PnC. The 88-89 team had a good solid senior core to which the kids were added. Only 16 of the 45 on our current list have 50+ games experience. Added Scotty Russell and Tony Francis at the end of the 89 season as well which was the cream on the top of the 90 side.

You are right in terms of the 1988/89 team having had less kids and logically therefore my point is that they had the greater potential of wining a flag, which they did in 1990. The team in 2015 will have far more kids who will need to learn and develop their games, thus delaying actually REACHING their potential and ultimate team success.

Look I LOVE the intense optimism (sometimes blind!) about this current team and its fabulous potential. However I also know the pitfalls of having had numerous unrealistic expectations of Collingwood that have led me to failure several times in my life! I picked the ‘pies to make the finals last year! I guess I have now decided to use that experience (finally!) to be a bit more subdued (and in my view realistic) in my predictions so that the end result may fall far closer to my original prediction that in the past.

I see this team developing nicely under Buckley in 2015 but not making the finals. 2016 will see a more experienced and settled team a bit more ready and likely to make top 8.

BTW, that is a fantastic quote from Buckley. I think he will end up getting the full support of the vast majority of Collingwood fans, thus sticking it right up the thick as a brick footy journos…. Evil or Very Mad As usual, I willl be leading the charge against these footy journo idiots who put shit on Collingwood. Twisted Evil

The view that our young team will need 2-3 years to mature enough for us to be a real Premiership threat is sound and logical. However, football (life actually) doesn't always progress strictly as planned. Who'd have predicted the wooden spoon Magpies of 1976 would draw in the 1977 Grand final? All I'm saying is that all teams start the 2015 season on zero points. I'm not saying I expect us to win the flag in 2015 or even that we'll make the top 4, but neither am I willing to discount either possibility. As I've said previously, more than anything I think our prospects will largely be determined by the rise and rise of our giant ruckmen in Grundy and Witts. If they start to dominate in the ruck, look out, because anything is possible.

RB, the 2014 version of me would have totally agreed with you. The 2015 version is a bit more cautious DUE to the very unpredictable nature of football that taught me a severe lesson last year. I think early last season (ands I was NOT the only poster to do this) picked 'pies as top 4 material. It is a case of being once bitten, twice shy. This time I want my prediction to be much closer to the actual outcome.

The trouble is with the word IF. It is so conditional! The old saying, IF my aunty had balls, she will be my uncle, comes to mind!

I agree that if Witts and Grundy start to dominate in the ruck, anything is possible. I DO admire your (and other) optimistic views.

To each their own. Less re-visit at the end of the season, that will be fun!

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:18 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Perhaps Lazza mate, but I still think this team is even younger than the side in the late 80s, but I am open to correction. Confused Surprised

You are correct Piesnchess. Hence my apprehension and giving them a little more time to develop than most of the other posters here.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:22 am

E wrote:
Lazza wrote:
E wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Looking forward to seeing the yank play.

i believe his new aboriginal nickname is canna gonna gotta!

As in "canna kick, canna handball, canna chest mark...but gonna make it (coz i gotta potential)"

In two years, his aboriginal nickname will be still canna gonna!

as in "still canna kick, still canna handball, still canna chest mark...and so Ima gonna"

Did a Yank doctor drop you on your head as a baby mate?

Harsh and unsubstantiated nonsense this early in his career.

You must truly hate Yanks like some posters hate others at the club... Rolling Eyes

i love americans. They are my favorite people and my closest friends. I've also played US national championships of aussie rules and have seen some absolutely remarkable athletes be very ordinary AFL players (or at least using AFL calibre talent as the comp).

So its not that i hate 'em. I'm just a little wiser about them than you so can speak with a little more authority than you.

I hope you dont take offence at that.

No, not at all and now that you have made things clearer, I definitely see your point. The once bitten, twice shy syndrome that I'm putting into use!

I will now reserve judgement of Cox for at least another two seasons, bearing in mind your US experience and comments based on reality.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:52 am

jackcass wrote:
Excited by:

The prospect that 2nd & 3rd year players will have break out years. Guys like Kennedy, Broomhead, Grundy, Adams, and Williams.

Continued growth in the likes of Frost, Langdon, Elliott and Keeffe.

A few guys who have battled injury issues over the last season or 2 getting a decent run at it. Guys like Swan, Brown, Fasolo, Seedsman, Sinclair, Reid, and Karnezis.

A few of the potential debutants grabbing their senior chance by the throat and not letting it go. Guys like Freeman, De Goey, and Manteit.

The "project" types making progress toward senior selection. Guys like Gault, Marsh, Cox and Abbott.

Seeing the more seasoned recruits establish their Pies credentials, particularly Crisp as Greenwood and Varcoe are more of a known quantity.

Witts and Grundy progress toward being dominant ruckmen.

The VFL, should see some potential stars emerge in 2015.

Seeing the doomsayers eat humble pie when the mighty Pies start their resurgence back up the ladder.

Yes indeed - agree jackcass... I would also add that i am excited to see senior guys bounce back from a poor yr in 2014 due to injuries mainly... e.g. Swan, Reid, Brown and even Cloke getting the opportunity to dominate up fwd with some decent big man support!

Freeman, Elliot and Broomy in the fwd line - very exciting that the X-factor may be back in the magpie forward line!

magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:00 pm

Im on the bandwagon. We will get to the finals then who knows.

If we get someone to support Cloke it will go a long way to helping us win the important games.

Already the midfield is looking solid.

Pendlebury, Swan, Greenwood, Adams, Broomhead, Freeman, Dwyer, Sidebottom, De Goey and Varcoe.
Add in Blair, Crisp, Elliott, Maynard and Seedsman and there is a squad of midfielders/runners to rotate through that is of quality. Then there is Caff, Scharenberg, Fasolo, Young, Thomas, Williams and Sinclair. White on the wing?

The defence is welcoming back Toovey and Brown.

Grundy and Witts will be solid at the very least, which is an improvement on previous seasons.

If Reid is a success in attack I would say the GF is in sight.

Out of all the players I am really looking forward to seeing Scharenberg playing but probably wont see his best until 2016.

Forgot to mention Ben Ken, Manteit and Goodyear!

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:49 pm

I must say, if bloody Jesse White can REALLY extract the digit, and do what I think we KNOW he is more than capable of, take the heat off Cloke, thatd go a helluva long way to helping us make the Finals. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: