Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Twin Towers conspiracy theories won't go away...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:10 pm
Post subject: Twin Towers conspiracy theories won't go away...Reply with quote

http://www.watoday.com.au/world/the-twintower-conspiracy-theory-20080917-4i9y.html

"Orem, Utah.- For most of the American public, the dust has settled over how the World Trade Centre fell on September 11.

But seven years later, former Brigham Young University (BYU) physics professor Steven E Jones remains perhaps the most famous proponent of 'alternative theories' surrounding the attacks.

Almost two years since BYU placed him on paid leave because of controversy about his claims that the WTC towers did not fall due to the collision of passenger jets alone, he's still studying dust samples gathered near ground zero.

The man can also pack a small lecture hall, as he did on a recent Wednesday afternoon during one of the weekly physics colloquiums sponsored by Utah Valley University's physics department...."

One of the more interesting films I've seen on the subject is Loose Change. And the biggest questions I have by far concern the Pentagon (Was it a missile? How could an airliner simply disappear into such a small space? Where is the tail which usually survives the most catastrophic crash?), and those mobile phone conversations with loved ones from doomed United Flight 93 (You mean to tell me that clear air-to-ground mobil transmission could take place in 2001?). And of course it doesn't help to allay suspicions to know that a cousin of George W. Bush was director of security for the World Trade Centre. Or that the whole elaborate plot was masterminded by some former CIA operatives hiding out in an Afghani cave. Confused

Another serious academic who has been outspoken about this is David Ray Griffen. He has founded the 911 Truth Movement, which runs a very detailed web site: http://www.911truth.org/

Frankly, I don't know what happened. But there are more questions than real answers in the official accounts. I'm not saying the conspiracy theorists are right, but the questions they raise are disturbing to say the least. Then again, I can't believe JFK was killed by a lone gunman either.
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacemen did it
Magpie Girl Leo

Daisy, my Collingwood supporting birdy....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:30 pm

Well this is really quite random but here goes....
I had a dream the other night about the Twin Towers. I was there with some friends (for some reason, I don't know). They were re-building the towers. They'd done about 10 - 20 stories at the time & it was open so we were inside. They still had all the scafolding on the outside 'cause they were still building it.
Then while we were inside a plane crashed into the building, again. I was near the bottom so I just ran outside. Then stupid people were jumping out of windows instead of climbing down the scafolding... Confused
But in my dream the towers didn't fall down.

Then we ran over to a dog show in the car park...... Confused Very Happy

Yeah, very weird & random.

Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:55 pm

It was the dragons, but nobody will listen!
Hooked
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:59 pm

^ Very good Dale! Laughing
Dale61 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:32 pm
Post subject: Re: Twin Towers conspiracy theories won't go away...Reply with quote

jack_spain wrote:
Where is the tail which usually survives the most catastrophic crash?),

Just like the relative lack of wreckage in the field in rural Pennsylvania!

Hooked
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:30 pm

I've always had the feeling that the reason a lot of Americans latch onto these conspiracy theories is that they find it almost overpowering to believe another country, or worse, a terrorist faction had he ability to plan and carry out such a major offensive against their country.
It's almost easier, and in some ways comforting, to know your own government had their hand in it. At least that way there was some element of control.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:55 pm

I've always wondered why people find it so difficult to believe that Islamic extremists could hijack a plane, and fly it into a building. Also, how do these conspiracy theorists explain similar attacks in Madrid, Bali and elsewhere? Or, I suppose the US government was responsible for those, too Rolling Eyes

Do Americans realise there's a world outside their borders?

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:18 pm
Post subject: Re: Twin Towers conspiracy theories won't go away...Reply with quote

jack_spain wrote:
http://www.watoday.com.au/world/the-twintower-conspiracy-theory-20080917-4i9y.html

"Orem, Utah.- For most of the American public, the dust has settled over how the World Trade Centre fell on September 11.

But seven years later, former Brigham Young University (BYU) physics professor Steven E Jones remains perhaps the most famous proponent of 'alternative theories' surrounding the attacks.

Almost two years since BYU placed him on paid leave because of controversy about his claims that the WTC towers did not fall due to the collision of passenger jets alone, he's still studying dust samples gathered near ground zero.

The man can also pack a small lecture hall, as he did on a recent Wednesday afternoon during one of the weekly physics colloquiums sponsored by Utah Valley University's physics department...."

One of the more interesting films I've seen on the subject is Loose Change. And the biggest questions I have by far concern the Pentagon (Was it a missile? How could an airliner simply disappear into such a small space? Where is the tail which usually survives the most catastrophic crash?), and those mobile phone conversations with loved ones from doomed United Flight 93 (You mean to tell me that clear air-to-ground mobil transmission could take place in 2001?). And of course it doesn't help to allay suspicions to know that a cousin of George W. Bush was director of security for the World Trade Centre. Or that the whole elaborate plot was masterminded by some former CIA operatives hiding out in an Afghani cave. Confused

Another serious academic who has been outspoken about this is David Ray Griffen. He has founded the 911 Truth Movement, which runs a very detailed web site: http://www.911truth.org/

Frankly, I don't know what happened. But there are more questions than real answers in the official accounts. I'm not saying the conspiracy theorists are right, but the questions they raise are disturbing to say the least. Then again, I can't believe JFK was killed by a lone gunman either.

hmm wasn't Brigham Young founder of the Mormon's? Wow, they name universities after polygamists.

sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread, it just caught my eye

~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:22 pm

Proud Pies wrote:

Don't worry jac, it will be derailed before long. When the ones who come out and say it wasn't a terrorist act get on board!! They're all just misunderstood very bad pilots. lol.

Dale61 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:51 pm

~Madness~ wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:

Don't worry jac, it will be derailed before long. When the ones who come out and say it wasn't a terrorist act get on board!! They're all just misunderstood very bad pilots. lol.

The planes weren't being flown by terrorists, just hijackers who didn't know how to land them!

Hooked
~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:12 pm

Dale61 wrote:
~Madness~ wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:

The planes weren't being flown by terrorists, just hijackers who didn't know how to land them!

Oh that's right, forgive my ignorance. They forgot to take the landing part in at flying school... yep, I get that.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:12 pm

PP, I thought that was Joseph Smith. Although, the other guy may have had something to do with the founding of the church, I don't know.

Greg, I've heard a few theories, and then I've heard a few of those debunked. It seems like a lot of people believe what they want to believe, so my philosophy is this:

what is more likely?

1) The US government, in a calculated attempt to gain support for their planned war in Iraq, decided to systematically and competently destroy one of their structures and kill hundreds of their own citizens, blaming the attacks on Islamic extremists who had nothing to do with the country they planned to invade. This operation was the idea of the Bush administration, who probably employed the CIA and sections of the armed forces to complete this difficult procedure. Despite the large amount of numbers involved, nobody has yet admitted to being a participant in this plot. *scary music* - have they been silenced? Well, apparently not, because college dudes and a physics professor have been allowed to spread their theories freely without any fear of retribution from this evil US government, usually so cavalier with the lives of its civilians. Despite the amazing complexity and perfect execution of this operation, the government did not have the foresight to link it with the country they wished to invade, or, indeed, show any competence or foresight in that future decision.

Or,

2) A few Islamic jihadists, members of a group that is allegedly responsible for countless terrorist attacks elsewhere in the world, including those little countries that Americans don't really think about, were called upon to hijack a few planes and destroy a few significant American cultural icons, thus sending a message to the western world about what they thought of their decadence. The celebrations in Palestinian streets in the aftermath were proof enough that there were more than a few people who wanted to do this... and, is anyone disputing that it could have been done? Other terrorist groups were probably kicking themselves because they didn't think of it first.

Just looking at that logically, which would you guess is more likely?

Of course, just because the second option is more likely, doesn't mean it necessarily happened, and really, we can't completely dismiss 9/11 conspiracy theories without all the facts. However, we can react to the inherent flaw in the reasoning - the mindset that cannot comprehend the idea that outside forces could ever pull off such an (let's face it, relatively simple) act. Instead, not content with the obvious flaws already present in the Bush administration and its policies, we must assume that they are capable of the most horrible deeds imaginable, able to sink so low as to kill hundreds of its own citizens, simply to create a flimsy premise to go to an incompetently-fought and planned war.

This is the problem with conspiracy theories. It's not that they're always wrong - the chances are, some of them may well be right. The problem is the thought process: decide what you want to believe, then find all possible 'facts' and arguments to support this proposition, meanwhile screening out anything that might compromise your argument. The fact is, anyone can make a convincing argument for practically anything, and once you start listening to nothing other than what you want to believe, you will be able to convince yourself of that argument's validity. It's for those reasons that conspiracy theories have existed since the beginning of time, from the Flat Earth Society to creationism to Roswell. True intelligence and knowledge comes from analysing all possible data, and coming to the most logical (and, often, most boring and predictable) conclusion.

Dale61 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:16 pm

Whatever happened on that fateful day back in 2001, at least we can now rest easy knowing that the threat to blow up the MCG on Grand Final has been dealt a severe blow.

Who will they recruit now?

Who will become the new leader?

Hooked
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:19 pm

Dale61 wrote:
Whatever happened on that fateful day back in 2001, at least we can now rest easy knowing that the threat to blow up the MCG on Grand Final has been dealt a severe blow.

Who will they recruit now?

Who will become the new leader?
How would I know who will they recruit ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: