Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training Report: Monday Jan 19

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:
loki04 wrote:
Awesome as always Neil.

Also can tell us how a few of them faired in the match ups in praccy game?
Did cox look out his depth?
How did matiet go after impressing in the running all preseason?
Any bits of play from the youngsters 1st to 4th year grp that had you excited?

Cheers again.

Had a feeling somebody would ask for some analysis which is not my strong suit!

Coxy dropped a chest mark and was hopeless once the ball hit the ground. Looked OK over-head though. Nothing new there; we know he's a long term gamble.

The defenders won out due to the poor disposal into the forward line. Karnezis did OK after receiving a few decent passes from his teammates at the Yarra end.

Manteit played as a defender and did OK. He has pace so was able to stay with his opponent. Freeman and DaGoey were a little quieter. Crisp did some nice things and used his pace and strength to break through traffic. Pendles began to look like his old self again too.

Perhaps the player to impress me most yesterday was Oxley. I don't know a lot about him so was interested to see what he did when he got the ball. One passage of my commentary illustrates.

"Sinclair brings it in. Deep in the back pocket. Kicks wide to back flank. Varcoe spoils. Kicks very high to square. Spoiled. Oxley. Steadies. Kicks long. Hits Elliott on the chest. Wow, what a beautiful kick."

OK that's just one kick, but he did it a few times. I didn't know Oxley was so good by foot. He's a smooth mover so I'll be interested to see more of him.

Cheers mate, you seem to do the analysis stuff just fine to me excellent stuff.

Oxley issue from what I remember in AFL was pace related but you aren't the first to mention he is excellent by foot. Hopefully he gets physically up to speed as we certainly need the skill.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:51 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Oxley's timing always stood out. He was a good kick in his (very) few games for Collingwood. I remember seeing him at Vic Park with Stui one day - his work helped win a VFL game through great marking & decision making in the last qtr.

Many posters on BF thought he was slow. I can't say I saw that in him.

His marking that day late in the last was something special. He just read the play and chopped off several attempted forward 50 entries by whoever the hell it was again with some sensational intercept marking.

If you can read the play that well to get where the ball is going before anyone else, you don't need fast legs even though he's never looked slow to me either.

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Oxley's timing always stood out. He was a good kick in his (very) few games for Collingwood. I remember seeing him at Vic Park with Stui one day - his work helped win a VFL game through great marking & decision making in the last qtr.

His marking that day late in the last was something special. He just read the play and chopped off several attempted forward 50 entries by whoever the hell it was again with some sensational intercept marking.

If you can read the play that well to get where the ball is going before anyone else, you don't need fast legs even though he's never looked slow to me either.

He looked glacial in his all be it limited AFL appearance, this is not to say he can't make it if he reads the play better then most he may find a Maxwell type role.

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:21 pm

I was looking forward to watching Oxley develop last year. And according to opinions of a mate of mine back in Melbourne, he was going to be a very good player for us because of his marking and kicking ability. The ankle injury and the emergence of Langdon and the redevelopment of the team had that thought put in the background. I hope he gets more chances this year so that he can show his wares. Ever since Maxy has been missing We do need a hard nut in the defensive mix. Frost is good but we need another.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:36 pm

As regards speed I think the point of difference is whether he is quick enough for his role or not.

In other words does he get regularly caught or forced into hurried disposal?

If not then he is quick enough, the only question that then remains is does the club require more speed in his role.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:53 pm

All I can think of when people question whether Oxley is a good kick is this:

http://youtu.be/gVJdIlgd8VE

Worth noting that kick was on his non-preferred, left foot too.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:48 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

At Vic Park against Geelong and they had a couple of handy marking targets like Mitch Brown but he just clunked everything. There was a young kid (name escapes me, something like Pool) on the VFL list who did something similar to get us a win against the odds v the Roosters. You just love to see that type of effort and its games like that which make the VFL so enjoyable.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:51 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
As regards speed I think the point of difference is whether he is quick enough for his role or not.

In other words does he get regularly caught or forced into hurried disposal?

If not then he is quick enough, the only question that then remains is does the club require more speed in his role.

Certainly not quick but I've said elsewhere he moves like Shane Morwood... I can live with that.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:05 pm

jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

At Vic Park against Geelong and they had a couple of handy marking targets like Mitch Brown but he just clunked everything. There was a young kid (name escapes me, something like Pool) on the VFL list who did something similar to get us a win against the odds v the Roosters. You just love to see that type of effort and its games like that which make the VFL so enjoyable.

I remember that game. Oxley was Huge for us to Hold the Cats Last Qtr Efforts

Stinger 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:05 pm

IIRC didn't Oxley hit Dane Swan up with a beautiful spear pass for his first kick in afl footy? Resulted in a goal.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Stinger wrote:
IIRC didn't Oxley hit Dane Swan up with a beautiful spear pass for his first kick in afl footy? Resulted in a goal.

Yep.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:25 pm

Thanks Stuart.

I wait for the day you are kicked out of training accused of being an opposition spy.

As for Oxley I was really looking forward to seeing what he could deliver last season but alas we all know how that ended.

Seems like he's best suited to a Maxwell type role or what we saw from Langdon last year.

He was upgraded to the senior list at the end of 2013 ahead of others for a reason so I'll keep the faith that he can still make a mark on the side this season.

So many unknowns with our side heading into season 2015 and he's one of them.

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:31 pm
Post subject: OxReply with quote

I've watched Oxley a few times. I would say his main two strengths are:

- Precision kick, smooth as silk, flat with no fade or draw. Just watch him at training.

- Very strong overhead with sticky hands and an ability to mark like a key position player. Attacks the ball in the air with no regard for his own safety. Many times I have seen him smashed in a pack only to hold the mark with one grab. Marks overhead from any angle. In fact a few times I have thought gees he must be really been hurt in holding a mark there considering he is quite slim especially in the thighs. But he got up every time and was constructive and poised with his disposal.

I have not noticed his pace being a problem. Doesn't appear quick but seems to have enough awareness of when to dispose of the ball.

Ox is a mystery to most. He is another present we really haven't been able to unwrap yet due to injuries.

cityslick1 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:16 am

thanks for the update & all the detail Neil, all sounds v interesting and some definite patterns / consistent signs of form & behaviour showing through.

I'm back in London now sadly, so will not be able to contribute any more updates. Now begins the wait until some televised pre-season games.....

some nice signs from the kids coming through... Adams, Oxley, Freeman, De Goey, Broomhead (& Moore) etc, and there'll need to be too if we're any chance of keeping up with the GC's and GWS's in the years ahead.

go pies
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:02 am

Thanks very much Neil. A well drilled reporting technique. Wish some of our players were as well drilled. Passing and field kicking remains a worry.

AP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: