Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training Report: Monday Jan 19

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the efforts Neil.
DERKADERRR 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:15 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
DERKADERRR wrote:
Thanks Neil,
I'm thinking of going down to training tomorrow morning and I'll try and do a write up afterwards, have you got any tips for me?

Also do you use a voice recorder to take notes or do you write it all down?

Don't go tomorrow; there'll be nothing happening. They'll train again Wednesday.

Yes, I use a voice recorder on my phone and basically just commentate the action as I look through binoculars. This amuses Brayden Maynard and a few onlookers, but it's the only way I can remember the detail. When I get home I type it up.

Looking forward to your report on Wednesday.

Righto I'll go on Wednesday then, cheers for all the advice.
Stinger 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:20 pm

Tip top report, as per usual. *thumbs up*

Anyone know why Cloke wasn't part of the drills/praccy match?
Or are we trying something different by not having him there at all?
How was the ball delivery to the forwards?
How was the set shot for goal kicking?
ip address 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:03 pm
Post subject: TrainingReply with quote

Neil,

We'll never run out of superlatives and thanks for your efforts to do this, especially for those of us who are thousands of kms away.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:12 am
Post subject: Re: TrainingReply with quote

ip address wrote:
Neil,

We'll never run out of superlatives and thanks for your efforts to do this, especially for those of us who are thousands of kms away.

You're very welcome. There are two Collingwood supporters in Kuwait, both members, who hang out for any Collingwood news. I write these reports with them in mind. Actually there are three Collingwood fanatics in Kuwait; the Australian Ambassador is also one of us Very Happy .

McMonkey 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:28 am

Neil, big up yourself - RESPECT, booyakasha!

Thanks mate, as always great training report - appreciate it.

I am intrigued by Keefe playing FF in this report and spending some time in the ruck drills from an earlier report.

I'm very interested on your thoughts on this?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:31 am

"it" being Neil big up yourself - RESPECT booyakasha?
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:09 am

McMonkey wrote:

I am intrigued by Keefe playing FF in this report and spending some time in the ruck drills from an earlier report.

Yeah, I'm also interested in what Keeffe has been doing McMonkey. It could just be that Bucks doesn't have a lot of options with so many players not match fit/ready, but Keeffe is being used in new roles. Yes, last week he trained with the rucks as did Gault and yesterday he was an exclusive forward. He didn't get much of it by the way, but neither did any other forward. I meant to mention this in the report, but the delivery to the forwards was pretty hopeless. It was either kicked at a leading forward's feet or kicked over their heads; a bit like last year's match-day scenarios!

Answering a few other questions:
•Set shots at goal took place for a whole 2 minutes. Players worked in pairs with one standing the mark and the other kicking. Each player had about two shots. Doesn't appear to be much of a priority at present.
•Cloke is nearing full fitness. He has done some ball work but mostly he has worked fitness. I suspect Cloke had several injuries last year and I'm more than happy to see him taking his time. With a month to go, he has plenty of time.
•Brenden Abbott began serious training yesterday. This boy can really move. He's a big unit and very strong in the legs. Kinda reminds me of a young Phil Manassa.
•Frost has done a heap of work in the gym. Much bigger in the upper body/ shoulders
•Crisp - had various opponents yesterday. Pendles was one. He is strong around the ball without the poise/vision of Pendles and DeGoey. Was used as a back flanker but mostly as a mid.
•Levi Greenwood: does anybody know what his injury status is? He has only done one training session with the team all pre-season. Mostly he has run laps and only at moderate pace since Christmas. Yesterday he worked with Armstrong and Toovey. Soft tissue injury? Has Balmey mentioned it?

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:51 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
McMonkey wrote:

Yeah, I'm also interested in what Keeffe has been doing McMonkey. It could just be that Bucks doesn't have a lot of options with so many players not match fit/ready, but Keeffe is being used in new roles. Yes, last week he trained with the rucks as did Gault and yesterday he was an exclusive forward. He didn't get much of it by the way, but neither did any other forward. I meant to mention this in the report, but the delivery to the forwards was pretty hopeless. It was either kicked at a leading forward's feet or kicked over their heads; a bit like last year's match-day scenarios!

•Set shots at goal took place for a whole 2 minutes. Players worked in pairs with one standing the mark and the other kicking. Each player had about two shots. Doesn't appear to be much of a priority at present.
•Cloke is nearing full fitness. He has done some ball work but mostly he has worked fitness. I suspect Cloke had several injuries last year and I'm more than happy to see him taking his time. With a month to go, he has plenty of time.
•Brenden Abbott began serious training yesterday. This boy can really move. He's a big unit and very strong in the legs. Kinda reminds me of a young Phil Manassa.
•Frost has done a heap of work in the gym. Much bigger in the upper body/ shoulders
•Crisp - had various opponents yesterday. Pendles was one. He is strong around the ball without the poise/vision of Pendles and DeGoey. Was used as a back flanker but mostly as a mid.
•Levi Greenwood: does anybody know what his injury status is? He has only done one training session with the team all pre-season. Mostly he has run laps and only at moderate pace since Christmas. Yesterday he worked with Armstrong and Toovey. Soft tissue injury? Has Balmey mentioned it?

I guess if we're going to get more of that in 2015 then they might as well train for it.

Keeffe was doing ruck and forward training last preseason as well so I think it's as much about ensuring he has that grounding as an indicator of where he might play. Flexibility is king.

Greenwood there is is some conjecture over on BF. One prominent poster has suggested that he has a hamstring issue that needs management, not something new but something he's had for a while. Yet another indicates that his hamstrings are fine and that he's just rehabing from some unspecified post season surgery.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:14 am

jackcass wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
McMonkey wrote:

I guess if we're going to get more of that in 2015 then they might as well train for it.

LOL! Laughing

SO bloody frustrating but...... Surprised

McMonkey 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:16 am

Thanks Neil, very interesting.

It makes perfect sense that Keefe's positioning may have as much to do with the lack of other players availability, something I had not pondered, as opposed to a venture into a new role for 2015.

Thinking about Reid coming back ( touching all the wood I have available to me ), I think our best defence would have Brown and Reid in it, maybe not in their traditional roles but Brown in the usual look-down role, same with Frost, with Reid playing the Nick Maxwell, intercept, 2nd man up, loose man, attacking role. Which would free up Keefe.

Keefe is a very impressive athlete, over 200cm's, a lovely kick and with great evasive skills. I'd love to see him as a 3rd tall forward that can Ruck too, or at least have this ability developed even if his home remains in defence.

It was interesting to hear your observations on Cloke too, not being 100% last season and therefore didn't have the ability to get up and around the ground like years gone by and was therefore resigned to staying at home and wrestling with defenders.

I guess it's only January, but hearing about the disposal to the forwards at training- ARGHHHHHHHH!!! ( head exploding!)

Thanks very much for the info on Crisp, he is another with fantastic natural attributes who we dearly need to live up to his potential, if we are going to go anywhere in the next couple of seasons.

Here's hoping there is nothing seriously wrong with Greenwood, our midfield stocks look pretty thin at best, we need a very solid season from him - I haven't heard him mentioned by Balme either but another Nickster may be able to shed more light.

Thanks again Neil - great stuff.

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:21 pm

Awesome as always Neil.

Also can tell us how a few of them faired in the match ups in praccy game?
Did cox look out his depth?
How did matiet go after impressing in the running all preseason?
Any bits of play from the youngsters 1st to 4th year grp that had you excited?

Cheers again.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:51 pm

loki04 wrote:
Awesome as always Neil.

Also can tell us how a few of them faired in the match ups in praccy game?
Did cox look out his depth?
How did matiet go after impressing in the running all preseason?
Any bits of play from the youngsters 1st to 4th year grp that had you excited?

Cheers again.

Had a feeling somebody would ask for some analysis which is not my strong suit!

Coxy dropped a chest mark and was hopeless once the ball hit the ground. Looked OK over-head though. Nothing new there; we know he's a long term gamble.

The defenders won out due to the poor disposal into the forward line. Karnezis did OK after receiving a few decent passes from his teammates at the Yarra end.

Manteit played as a defender and did OK. He has pace so was able to stay with his opponent. Freeman and DaGoey were a little quieter. Crisp did some nice things and used his pace and strength to break through traffic. Pendles began to look like his old self again too.

Perhaps the player to impress me most yesterday was Oxley. I don't know a lot about him so was interested to see what he did when he got the ball. One passage of my commentary illustrates.

"Sinclair brings it in. Deep in the back pocket. Kicks wide to back flank. Varcoe spoils. Kicks very high to square. Spoiled. Oxley. Steadies. Kicks long. Hits Elliott on the chest. Wow, what a beautiful kick."

OK that's just one kick, but he did it a few times. I didn't know Oxley was so good by foot. He's a smooth mover so I'll be interested to see more of him.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:21 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
Had a feeling somebody would ask for some analysis which is not my strong suit!

Coxy dropped a chest mark and was hopeless once the ball hit the ground. Looked OK over-head though. Nothing new there; we know he's a long term gamble.

The defenders won out due to the poor disposal into the forward line. Karnezis did OK after receiving a few decent passes from his teammates at the Yarra end.

Manteit played as a defender and did OK. He has pace so was able to stay with his opponent. Freeman and DaGoey were a little quieter. Crisp did some nice things and used his pace and strength to break through traffic. Pendles began to look like his old self again too.

Perhaps the player to impress me most yesterday was Oxley. I don't know a lot about him so was interested to see what he did when he got the ball. One passage of my commentary illustrates.

"Sinclair brings it in. Deep in the back pocket. Kicks wide to back flank. Varcoe spoils. Kicks very high to square. Spoiled. Oxley. Steadies. Kicks long. Hits Elliott on the chest. Wow, what a beautiful kick."

OK that's just one kick, but he did it a few times. I didn't know Oxley was so good by foot. He's a smooth mover so I'll be interested to see more of him.

Watching him in the VFL his kicking, intercept marking, and his overhead marking generally are definitely his strong suites. Needs to work on his contested footy, adding some weight and muscle would help in that area.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:23 pm

Oxley's timing always stood out. He was a good kick in his (very) few games for Collingwood. I remember seeing him at Vic Park with Stui one day - his work helped win a VFL game through great marking & decision making in the last qtr.

Many posters on BF thought he was slow. I can't say I saw that in him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: