Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Happy Australia Day!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
They could have protested by not having the day off!

Nope, first rule of middle class casual activism. Do nothing that requires material personal sacrifice. 60,000 go on marches to vilify their country. Millions observe Jan 26th and feel a little pride. This is a big victory for the swiveling provocateurs, apparently.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:49 am

International Law recognizes all territories acquired through invasion or annexation prior to WW2 as lawful conquests, so if you want your 'Invasion' rather than settlement then you nullify native title.

What'll it be?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:58 am

I love it when you talk dirty about international law, wokko.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:01 am

Third option, Wokko: treaty.

think positive wrote:

That’s what I did! Print deadlines have no mercy.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:40 pm

Mugwump wrote:
think positive wrote:

Nope, first rule of middle class casual activism. Do nothing that requires material personal sacrifice. 60,000 go on marches to vilify their country. Millions observe Jan 26th and feel a little pride. This is a big victory for the swiveling provocateurs, apparently.

Very true... the mind boggles.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:57 pm

No protests up in Toc yesterday, lots of Mexican terrorists up there for the 3 day weekend though, and with the hot muggy weather it was reminiscent of FNQ.

the town was decked out with Australian flags, the locals arranged some kind of Australia day themed breakfast thingo down on the foreshore. I only saw it when i drove past about 11:30 to go buy smokes as I'd been working on the house all morning until it got too hot and humid, and they were starting to pack up.

Pubs in the main street doing a roaring trade, as was the ice creamery and supermarket, cafes and restaurants.

With an early (ish) Easter this year, if the weather keeps up the traders should be able to cash in enough to see them through winter comfortably.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:50 pm

I wouldn't be fussed to see Australia Day moved as the date has no special meaning to me and it's not like the celebration still wont be held on another date.

The simple reality is the indigenous population where here first and for a very long period of time and given the injustices they suffered from that day forward at the hand of the settlers showing some recognition that for their culture it isn't a date to celebrate should be obvious.

I'd rather the day be inclusive for all and given the multicultural nature now of Australia those who actually have any family links to the first fleet would be marginal.

Personally January 1st the anniversary of our Federation would be my choice with the New Years holiday then carried over to the 2nd.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:39 pm

Pretty fair backhander to the protesters.

https://thoughthub.com.au/2018/01/23/why-invasion-day-protesters-are-the-shallowest-people/

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:56 pm

David wrote:
Third option, Wokko: treaty.

think positive wrote:
p

That’s what I did! Print deadlines have no mercy.

What could be more divisive than establishing a special racial class by treaty, 230 years after the event ? The Treaty of Waitangi has given rise to a vast programme of race based litigation (a clue to why lawyers are so prominent in this movement) and it has done very little to improve the practical status of Maori within New Zealand. To the extent that their condition is different to that of Aboriginal people today, it is because of the technology, civilization and organisation they had at the time of European settlement, and the compact topography of New zealand compared to Australia’s remoteness. It’s not because of the ToW.

This is the point of “invasion day”, though. It is about laying down markers for a treaty which will racially transfer power and money in the present, while making no difference to the condition of the people who actually need it. It would be an appalling precedent for establishing racial inequality under the law.

Notice, too, the way the gay marriage fallacies and mendacities are being re-used here. The “hurt” that “harms health” of Aboriginals because Australia Day is Jan 26. The need for “healing”. This is emotional blackmail on the most spurious grounds, the conversion of subjective choice into objective harm ; it also falsely renders a collective political struggle into the terms of psychotherapy and Woman’s Day. If there is an invasion, it is now happening from within.

Last edited by Mugwump on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:28 pm

stui magpie wrote:

https://thoughthub.com.au/2018/01/23/why-invasion-day-protesters-are-the-shallowest-people/

I’ve been thinking some of these things too, to be honest. Progressives love a symbol to rally around, but where is this fervour for issues that seriously affect Indigenous people (to be fair, there will be a subsection within that group who are strongly invested in Indigenous issues, have volunteered in communities etc). Where I disagree is the notion that they wouldn’t be happy with any alternative. People could easily rally around the anniversary of the Australia Act or some such.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:01 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/jan/26/huge-invasion-day-protest-melbourne-australia-day

What a Bunch of Idiots taking it way to far

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:02 pm

stui magpie wrote:

They should just to back to Smoking there Pot and not Winge about Everything

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:03 pm

think positive wrote:

Agree. Don't like the Holiday then Go to Work

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:29 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

I’ve been thinking some of these things too, to be honest. Progressives love a symbol to rally around, but where is this fervour for issues that seriously affect Indigenous people (to be fair, there will be a subsection within that group who are strongly invested in Indigenous issues, have volunteered in communities etc). Where I disagree is the notion that they wouldn’t be happy with any alternative. People could easily rally around the anniversary of the Australia Act or some such.

That's the point that has pissed off a number of Indigenous people. Changing the date would give the progressive campaigners something to slap each other on the back about but would do jack shit to change the every day conditions of the average Indigenous person. Just another publicity grabbing sideshow, avoiding dealing with the real issues because it's far easier to protest something and grab headlines than put in genuine effort to fix a problem.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:30 pm

What shall we talk about now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12   

Jump to: