Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Happy Australia Day!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
Happy Australia Day!

Not doing anything for today, but I am mowing lawns and having a beer which is pretty damn Australian imo.

Anyone who wants to call it Invasion Day or Survival Day can go and get $%$ed.

well said!!
my baby and her friends:

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:12 pm

Wokko wrote:
Happy Australia Day!

Not doing anything for today, but I am mowing lawns and having a beer which is pretty damn Australian imo.

That's cool. I sometimes call it Invasion Day, and I'm about to go and get $%$ed. Smile

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:41 pm

think positive wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Happy Australia Day!

well said!!
my baby and her friends:

Ahhh, to be young again.

Nice car btw.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:41 pm

Wokko wrote:
think positive wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Happy Australia Day!

well said!!
my baby and her friends:

Ahhh, to be young again.

Nice car btw.

Haha, cheers, it's hubbys pride and joy!

Yeah the kids are making me feel old! So much energy! Great bunch though, and there is another 4-5 out there now I think!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:29 am

And here we are again!
Happy Australia Day!

And just as Anzac Day can be bloody sad for many, this day is too. My commiserations, the sins of the fathers, if we could do it differently.....

Let's celebrate the good from the evil, the amazing people who raced to help just a week ago when a moron attacked our great city. The CFA and the endless selfless work they do, I'm sure a few of you have seen that blue tongue lizard video on face book today.

Not doing much, a nice BBQ later in the back yard with the kids, and anyone else who pops up.

I've actually put in my application for Australian citizenship, so next year I'll be official (well if I pass that bloody test!)

I'll leave you with the best version of our national anthem I've ever heard, (although the one at Wlilliamsgrove speedway, mechanicsberg in July was pretty good!)
https://youtu.be/6TNCf0cwJsY

Enjoy your day, even if you just want to enjoy a good whinge!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:33 am

Oh there.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:22 am

Happy Australia Day. Here is hoping that some people -even the malcontents - find the time to recall how fortunate Australians are to live in a country that has enjoyed democracy, prosperity, development and freedom within the law for 200 years. Most people in the world have been nowhere near as fortunate across that time. Let's give thanks for our good fortune, for its causes and for those that made it and fought for it when it was threatened.

As for the "invasion" (sic) well, sorry it happened but history was going to overtake aboriginal Australia eventually, and just about every alternative would have been far ore brutal. We can apologize for the wrongs, but on 26th January 1788 modern Australia was born, and we should celebrate it with pride.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:26 am

Love that rendition of the anthem TP.

A few ales and a topside roast in the weber at the Daicos Bar today.
Forecast is 40 in Perth, so lotsa pool time b4 heading back to the desert tomorrow.

Have a rippa day, whatever you do Smile

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:34 am

Mugwump wrote:
Happy Australia Day. Here is hoping that some people -even the malcontents - find the time to recall how fortunate Australians are to live in a country that has enjoyed democracy, prosperity, development and freedom within the law for 200 years. Most people in the world have been nowhere near as fortunate across that time. Let's give thanks for our good fortune, for its causes and for those that made it and fought for it when it was threatened.

As for the "invasion" (sic) well, sorry it happened but history was going to overtake aboriginal Australia eventually, and just about every alternative would have been far ore brutal. We can apologize for the wrongs, but on 26th January 1788 modern Australia was born, and we should celebrate it with pride.

Cool

https://youtu.be/rMdbVHPmCW0

Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:54 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Since I don't suppose many of you would fancy adopting "Solid Rock" as the national anthem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef3beK367tA

Here's one that meets all the requirements. Its a song about Australia by someone who can write, who wasn't engaging in jingoistic garbage (because, of course, he isn't Australian) and who knows exactly how to take the pi$$. Best of all, it ends with one of the great guitar and wobble-board duets of all time.

If only Ray had emigrated to Australia with his favourite elder sister Rosie in 1964....

Oh what a tune, from the greatest album of all (as I've previously alluded to Razz )

All jokes aside, the divisiveness in western society seems to be getting worse. In whose interest is this?

The Orkneys/Shetland looks a little better as each year goes by. Maybe I'm going to do a reverse Arthur? Laughing Wink

MM

Last edited by Mountains Magpie on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:07 am

Mugwump wrote:

Nah, far too divisive a day:

"......A new and inclusive Australia Day held on a less conflictual day, such as Constitution Day in May or Wattle Day in early September can involve the recognitions we need. First, a recognition of Indigenous Australian history, and of Australia's settlers, that is settler-invaders we must admit, and of the several generations who followed them. Then, the important recognition of the waves of people of the last 70 years....."

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/we-need-to-reinvent-australia-day--both-its-date-and-its-character-20170124-gtxgiz.html

Even the conservatives agree:

[i]"Australia Day should be changed from January 26 to unite the country, former cabinet minister Ian Macfarlane believes.

The retired federal MP thinks March 1 would be a better day to commemorate the occasion, urging the country to 'scrape off this barnacle'.."

ahttp://www.skynews.com.au/news/politics/federal/2017/01/26/change-aust-day-to-march--macfarlane.html#sthash.N8aywH77.dpuf[/i]

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:36 am

Yep let's go with july or September, we can crack out the marshmallows for the fire! At least have a date in summer so we can dress like Aussies instead of polar bears!

At least I got a couple of happy campers before a whinger Razz

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:03 am

happy Australia day.

it is what it is, it is on this date, some people don't like it that's their right but how about we try to be inclusive rather than divisive.

Remember and recognise the first Australians, those who were sent here against their will, those who came to seek new opportunity, those who came seeking refuge, we are all part of the melting pot that is Australia.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:46 am

watt price tully wrote:

Nah, far too divisive a day:

It's a lot less divisive than changing it. Creating division over an issue and then demanding change because something is "divisive" is surely a little self-fulfilling....?

As for "even Conservatives agree" - well, one does. Almost by definition, I'd say that ceases to make him much of a Conservative. If being a conservative means anything, it means avoiding changing things that do not need to be changed, because a small and (genuinely) divisive pressure group demands it.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:58 am

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/nt-aboriginal-leader-defends-january-26-australia-day-20170126-gtzd74.html

"Yes, let's learn about our past and our history, but how is changing the date going to do a thing for the Aboriginal women dying at the hands of Aboriginal men, the Aboriginal children who miss out on school and an education and the Aboriginal children who are living in dysfunctional circumstances?" she wrote.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12   

Jump to: