Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training Report: Wednesday Jan 14

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a brave vision the club has for Broomy if true Apples. Such mids are pure gold to their clubs and pure poison to opposition clubs, impossible to contain really.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:39 pm

Quote:
Broomhead isn't injured as far as I can tell. He has mostly trained alone. When he was unleashed he was sensational. I'm not kidding when I say he dominated clearances with his summer star buddy, Nathan Freeman. He then turned to sprint work and dominated that too, winning every single race.

That sounds very Exciting Very Happy and Gives the Midfield some X-Factor and ha Pace

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Yeah, brave it is, but I reckon it might be correct. I've watched Tim train for a few weeks now and I've been baffled. Why is he training alone? I haven't been able to get close enough to ask him, but he isn't injured, so his modified programme must be aimed at developing his tank. He's not running laps like Cloke and Swanny. He is concentrating on sprints; 50 metre sprints and 100 metre sprints. So the question I have is this: if he's fit but has a programme to work hard in sprint work, what else could the Club have in mind?
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:57 pm

It's an interesting concept really Apples we haven't had real speed at the club since the departure of the likes of Tony Francis and before him Ronnie Wearmouth. Much player development lately - and not just at our club - has gone towards building decent speed but a big tank.

You can't have extreme speed AND a big tank so is Broomy being groomed as an impact player?

10 - 15 minute bursts of devestating speed with strong disposal?
Drafted 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:08 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
Yeah, brave it is, but I reckon it might be correct. I've watched Tim train for a few weeks now and I've been baffled. Why is he training alone? I haven't been able to get close enough to ask him, but he isn't injured, so his modified programme must be aimed at developing his tank. He's not running laps like Cloke and Swanny. He is concentrating on sprints; 50 metre sprints and 100 metre sprints. So the question I have is this: if he's fit but has a programme to work hard in sprint work, what else could the Club have in mind?

Not wanting to rain on your parade Neil - He had hamstring tightness in the two weeks leading into the Christmas break and hence trained individually. Prior to that he'd done all sessions with the entire group. Since coming back from Christmas break he's had an illness and only started doing some very minimal running on Wednesday which was the first time he has trained outdoors in 2015. There is nothing more to it than they are trying to help him recover from illness.

Last edited by Drafted on Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:

Must have his own Training Program

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:56 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
The Weed wrote:
Thanks Neil, how was Swany's kicking? I guess anything that went in the air would be an improvement on last year.

Answering a few questions:
I didn't take too much notice to be honest. He ran over and asked to be allowed to join the kicking group and changed into boots. I watched him take his spot and was so excited I forgot to record anything further.

Karnezis will never be a stellar trainer in my view. He still may prove to be a decent burst player through the middle, but I reckon the club would be hoping he can settle into being a third tall.

Broomhead isn't injured as far as I can tell. He has mostly trained alone. When he was unleashed he was sensational. I'm not kidding when I say he dominated clearances with his summer star buddy, Nathan Freeman. He then turned to sprint work and dominated that too, winning every single race.

Since then he has gone back to training alone and most of this has been sprint work, not conditioning laps. This suggests that the club has him earmarked for centreline duties. They are building the Broomhead tank. If this is successful imagine what an acquisition he could be; a gut-running mid with the elite ability to work his way through traffic with that unique vision in close a la Pendlebury. I have high hopes for Timmy Broomhead.

I've said previously that I think Broomy is easily the classiest player I've seen added to our list since Pendles. If he turns out half as good I'd be very very happy. Just needs to build his core strength before we see the best of him I reckon.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:00 pm

Drafted wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

Not wanting to rain on your parade Neil - He had hamstring tightness in the two weeks leading into the Christmas break and hence trained individually. Prior to that he'd done all sessions with the entire group. Since coming back from Christmas break he's had an illness and only started doing some very minimal running on Wednesday which was the first time he has trained outdoors in 2015. There is nothing more to it than they are trying to help him recover from illness.

Thanks for that drafted. You can understand the caution given the glandular fever he had in his first season.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:58 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:

But then again, I also predicted a very bright future for Jono Marsh and that looks like a bad call thus far.

Id say it was a stellar call. Was pushing towards senior selection before his hammy last year, which nobody expected. If he continues his rapid improvement we have a player on our hands.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:32 pm

Stupied wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

But then again, I also predicted a very bright future for Jono Marsh and that looks like a bad call thus far.

Id say it was a stellar call. Was pushing towards senior selection before his hammy last year, which nobody expected. If he continues his rapid improvement we have a player on our hands.

I agree. Still plenty of development in Marsh but it appears he's prepared to do the work to get there.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:11 pm

jackcass wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
The Weed wrote:
Thanks Neil, how was Swany's kicking? I guess anything that went in the air would be an improvement on last year.

I didn't take too much notice to be honest. He ran over and asked to be allowed to join the kicking group and changed into boots. I watched him take his spot and was so excited I forgot to record anything further.

Karnezis will never be a stellar trainer in my view. He still may prove to be a decent burst player through the middle, but I reckon the club would be hoping he can settle into being a third tall.

Since then he has gone back to training alone and most of this has been sprint work, not conditioning laps. This suggests that the club has him earmarked for centreline duties. They are building the Broomhead tank. If this is successful imagine what an acquisition he could be; a gut-running mid with the elite ability to work his way through traffic with that unique vision in close a la Pendlebury. I have high hopes for Timmy Broomhead.

I've said previously that I think Broomy is easily the classiest player I've seen added to our list since Pendles. If he turns out half as good I'd be very very happy. Just needs to build his core strength before we see the best of him I reckon.

Interesting observation you make about Broomhead and Pendlebury. Broomhead has been a topic of conversation at my place a bit this pre-season. Today we discussed Tim's ability in close with ball in hand. We spoke about his poise and his vision and his fine decision making. We've seen him only once this pre-season in full match practice, but he really impressed, so much so that one good judge in our house compared him to Pendles.

Too early to tell of course but it did have me scurrying to my scrap book to compare their records. Pendles played 9 games in his first year and was a Copeland runner-up in his second. Tim was ill and injured for most of his first two years. We reckon he's ready to shine.

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:43 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
The Weed wrote:

So he even beat out Marsh and Freeman in the sprints? Must be even quicker then I thought!

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:45 am

Loki Broomy is 'sneaky fast' some people can really motor along without seeming to expend that much effort.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:34 am

loki04 wrote:
So he even beat out Marsh and Freeman in the sprints? Must be even quicker then I thought!

Marsh hasn't done any sprinting at sessions I have attended loki, but Tim was in a group of decent runners. From memory Freeman was in his group and so was White. What impressed us in this particular drill of sprinting 50, jogging 50 and sprinting 50 again, was Tim's determination not to be bested. He won the first sprint and then stayed at the front and won each battle. In a straight 100 metre sprint, Varcoe, Freeman and Seedsman would beat him every time, but it was his determination on this morning that caught our attention; that and the fact that he and Freeman knocked up winning the ball at stoppages. That's why we've been somewhat puzzled and disappointed we haven't seen him in action since. If "Drafted" is correct then Tim ought to be back with the main group soon.

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:51 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
loki04 wrote:

Marsh hasn't done any sprinting at sessions I have attended loki, but Tim was in a group of decent runners. From memory Freeman was in his group and so was White. What impressed us in this particular drill of sprinting 50, jogging 50 and sprinting 50 again, was Tim's determination not to be bested. He won the first sprint and then stayed at the front and won each battle. In a straight 100 metre sprint, Varcoe, Freeman and Seedsman would beat him every time, but it was his determination on this morning that caught our attention; that and the fact that he and Freeman knocked up winning the ball at stoppages. That's why we've been somewhat puzzled and disappointed we haven't seen him in action since. If "Drafted" is correct then Tim ought to be back with the main group soon.

Cheers Neil excellent reports as always mate thank you for taking the time to fill us all footy deprived people in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: