Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ICC ODI World Cup - Australia's campaign.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

piedys wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
For the record, here's a summary of Australia's 2015 World Cup campaign:

Second game - Match abandoned without a ball bowled (that's one way for the Tigers to break even with Australia)

Third game - All out 151 (Haddin 43 from 41, Warner 34 from 42). NZ 9/152 (Starc 6/28, Cummins 2 wickets and Maxwell 1; Johnson 6 overs, 0/68 )
http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/engine/match/656437.html

So in hindsight, would you think that these results worked in our favour?
Implying that perhaps waether permitting, had we flogged Tiggers in second game for an extra point, then stolen the third game for another two points, would we have then had to play RSA in the semi final?
If so, i still would have preferred to face India as we did.
Still a shame RSA didn't roll the Kiwis, would have made for a better MCG WCC final i'd expect.

Dyso

I really have no idea and I don't tend to speculate about those sorts of things. No doubt there are always sliding door moments in knock-out sporting competitions (like the Swans playing the Bears into form in the last quarter of the 2003 preliminary final) but I think the Australians were just way better than all of the other teams, this time. I think India, New Zealand, Sri Lanka and South Africa all had players in the tournament capable of taking their team to a victory over Australia on a given day but I don't think any of them had the spread of highly dangerous batting and bowling options the Australians had. Australia stopped the stars from all of those teams, except South Africa (because they didn't meet), dead in their tracks. If NZ could do it to South Africa (albeit, I didn't think the D/L score adjustment was appropriate in that game), Australia probably would have done it, too.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:53 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
No doubt there are always sliding door moments in knock-out sporting competitions (like the Swans playing the Bears into form in the last quarter of the 2003 preliminary final).

Oh yes... fantasised about that one for a loooooooooooooooong time.
A pies vs swans 2003 GF becomes more viable to win, even minus Rocca.

Pies4shaw wrote:
but I think the Australians were just way better than all of the other teams, this time. I think India, New Zealand, Sri Lanka and South Africa all had players in the tournament capable of taking their team to a victory over Australia on a given day but I don't think any of them had the spread of highly dangerous batting and bowling options the Australians had. Australia stopped the stars from all of those teams, except South Africa (because they didn't meet), dead in their tracks. If NZ could do it to South Africa (albeit, I didn't think the D/L score adjustment was appropriate in that game), Australia probably would have done it, too.

Agreed, superior depth with bat and ball across the board.
And well captained by Clarke, i might add, despite having minimal impact at the batting crease for most of the tournament.
Yet even Watson eventually played himself into form, largely due to a critical dropped sitter of a catch.

Dyso

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:53 pm

DP. Windows XP and IE8 lumps of shit... Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17   

Jump to: