Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you sad today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I know personally of 13 who are using their leave or not getting paid at all!

Seriously how many of the volunteers in rural NSW do you think work for public health or government? And it has been going on for weeks and weeks!

Your post sounds flippant and dismissive of what they are doing Evil or Very Mad
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:43 pm

It’s a widespread problem.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:52 pm

they should be paid, just as any fireman is, all of them, even if its casual summer rate, and they certainly should have free health plans. just awful. and probably murder by some firebug.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:52 pm

they should be paid, just as any fireman is, all of them, even if its casual summer rate, and they certainly should have free health plans. just awful. and probably murder by some firebug.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:55 pm

Morrigu wrote:

Seriously how many of the volunteers in rural NSW do you think work for public health or government? And it has been going on for weeks and weeks!

Your post sounds flippant and dismissive of what they are doing Evil or Very Mad

OK, Flippant or dismissive is the opposite of where I was aiming. Those people do a great job, a fkn hard job and many sacrifice to do it.

The point I was trying to make, clearly unsuccessfully, is that people assume "volunteer" firefighters don't get paid when a large number do, depending on their employer. It's not just government and public health (same thing) but most organisations large enough to have an EBA usually provide paid leave, albeit sometimes with limits.

As a principle, saying that the people who have been risking their lives to protect others shouldn't be penalised by going without pay, I'm fully onboard with. Shit, I'd support a tax free lump sum not to count as income, just in recognition of effort.

Generalising or assuming that all aren't getting paid, is wrong

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:11 pm

The death and injuries to firefighters, the wildlife, fauna and flora indeed the sheer extent of the destruction is so terribly sad.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:44 am

stui magpie wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

OK, Flippant or dismissive is the opposite of where I was aiming. Those people do a great job, a fkn hard job and many sacrifice to do it.

The point I was trying to make, clearly unsuccessfully, is that people assume "volunteer" firefighters don't get paid when a large number do, depending on their employer. It's not just government and public health (same thing) but most organisations large enough to have an EBA usually provide paid leave, albeit sometimes with limits.

As a principle, saying that the people who have been risking their lives to protect others shouldn't be penalised by going without pay, I'm fully onboard with. Shit, I'd support a tax free lump sum not to count as income, just in recognition of effort.

Generalising or assuming that all aren't getting paid, is wrong

Employers might continue to pay them if they're firefighting during work hours, what about the 2am call outs CFA crews respond to? Who pays them for that? No one, because they're volunteers. What about weekend call outs? Again, no one.

Thank you to all volunteer emergency crews and may the 2 men that so tragically lost their lives rest in peace.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:24 am

From what I read Stui is agreeing they should all get paid, even better, it should not impact their earnings in any tax way. Just that some getextra payments when fighting fires.

No one should be dying to save houses. Paid or unupaid.

It’s a very emotional subject right now, and so it should be. It’s absolutely devastating the loss of the two fireman, and also for those injured. Hopefully the government steps up to support the families as much as they need for as long as they need. I’m sure there will be go fund me page for them.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:03 pm

Dp
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Yes but I’m responding more to him saying employers provide paid leave, meaning they’re still being paid. Which I’m saying is all well & good provided they’re called out during business hours.
I dunno, maybe he can have a third go at clarifying Wink
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:26 pm

I've never had so much difficulty in making myself understood. Too much time working with consultants I think.

OK. Volunteers, by the nature of being a volunteer, means you don't get paid by the organisation you volunteer for. We clear so far?

Country and rural fire services and others like the SES in Vic, are largely volunteer based organisation with a small number of actual paid employees.
Yes, when the SES comes out at 2am to tarp your storm damaged room, they're not being paid for that at all, because they're volunteers.

I've seen the statement a number of times on social media calling for the volunteer fire fighters to be paid, as they are going without pay while fighting the fires.

As a generalisation, that is an incorrect statement, as a number of the volunteers are receiving their normal salary from their employer while fighting the fires. "A number" clearly isn't all, so there are quite a few people fighting the fires while on unpaid leave from work.

Normally, it's accepted that these people are volunteers and that's what they do, but in this case some of them have been flat out fighting fires for weeks, which is clearly not a normal situation and apart from their physical and mental health being strained, their personal finances would be too.

You can't just retrospectively suddenly call them employees and pay them wages, there's all sorts of employment law issues with that. So, a solution would be for the Federal Government to provide a grant to the states and councils to provide cash lump sums to Volunteers in recognition of their efforts. Not salary or wages which is taxable. I am fully supportive of something like that happening.

Now, if there's a general clamouring for the volunteers to be paid every time, then that would mean they were no longer volunteers but would need to enter into some form of employment relationship, likely casual, which completely changes the whole dynamic of how they work.

If that's still not clear, I give up but one thing please understand at least. I am in no way shape or form intending to disparage, insult or otherwise diminish the efforts of these volunteers. They are heroes.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:34 pm

So I’m sitting here, too stunned to move. Tonight I sent a couple of pics of 2 little girls I did a shoot with last week, to their mum and said merry Christmas, etc etc. and she replied that her 6 year olds tests results came back, and there is no more treatment options. This child humbled me, moved me, so positive, so inspiring. She’s 6. 2 years of hell. I have many more pics to edit... At least I can give her mum that... She said she can’t stop crying but she’s trying to give her daughter a magical Christmas. I hope my reply was ok. I’m just shattered, I just can’t imagine

So $$%^%%$ cruel

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:44 pm

The destruction from the fires - the loss of human life, the loss of people’s homes, and the loss of so so many critters burnt to death with no chance of escape and knowing that those that have survived will probably die from lack of food or water because their habitat is gone Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

And now there are looters in affected areas and tourists who were advised to leave but didn’t cause “ we paid for our holiday” are whining cause there isn’t coffee and the food they desire Rolling Eyes

And meanwhile we play the blame game - it’s the left, the right, the greens, the deniers, the alarmists - no wait it’s the young teenage girls fault - yes that’s it!!

All whilst we send thoughts and prayers - $$%^%%$ fat lot of use they are!! Evil or Very Mad STFU if your sky fairy was real and what you say it is it would have responded to your happy clapping prayers and it would be raining buckets by now!!!!

Sad and pissed off!!!!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:07 am

I'm being sad in anticipation here.

So many country towns are largely deserted as people evacuate ahead of the fires, I fully expect some opportunistic scum will take the opportunity to "go shopping", as in looting, break and enter, burglary.

I hope I'm wrong, but......... Sad

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:14 am

Yep, incredibly sad and f*&^ed up Sad Every day I hope for a break in the weather and an update that the fires are almost out. Doesn't look like happening anytime soon. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 44 of 70   

Jump to: