Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you sad today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ The ocean is the natural environment of sharks and whales not human tourists!

Is there anywhere left on this planet that animals can just go about their business being animals in their natural environment without being killed by humans!! Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

My hubby was a surfer and a shipload of his mates still are - they are vehemently opposed to such nets and culls - they understand they are the intruders!!

Get rid of the nets and stop culls - put in safe netted swimming areas if we must and if tourists want to swim outside these they take their chances - the world is way over populated so if a couple of tourists die taking their chances then so be it!!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:32 pm

^

I don't disagree on principle. I saw some bikini clad tourists playing in the water at Cape tribulation, despite clear warning signs of Crocs and Sharks. My first though was if I was a Croc I'd take a bite out of that. Given half a chance not being a Croc same applies.

But, the Gold Coast tourist industry relies on selling the sand and surf. If tourists get regularly chomped on, there goes millions of dollars to the economy.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:36 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

I don't disagree on principle. I saw some bikini clad tourists playing in the water at Cape tribulation, despite clear warning signs of Crocs and Sharks. My first though was if I was a Croc I'd take a bite out of that. Given half a chance not being a Croc same applies.

But, the Gold Coast tourist industry relies on selling the sand and surf. If tourists get regularly chomped on, there goes millions of dollars to the economy.

Quoting the script of "Jaws"?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:07 pm

sixpoints wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Quoting the script of "Jaws"?

maybe unintentionally.

Great Whites don't like warm water, they hang around cold water. if you get a Great White on the Gold Coast it's winter and they're probably lost.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:27 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Dunno about completely closing them, but it's not hot enough to go swimming there in winter anyway (unlike Port Douglas Razz ) so maybe compromise if you can be sure the Whales are only there in winter and do some close in netted areas for swimmers like the stinger nets in the tropics and let the surfers take their chances.

There were plenty of people swimming Shocked (must've been other Melbournians thinking it was summer!).

Anything is better than those death nets.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:38 pm

RIP Xanda - son of Cecil Crying or Very sad

Killed for no other reason than to satisfy the inadequacies of yet another gutless oxygen thief Evil or Very Mad

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Who are you talking about?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:03 am

Chester Bennington, lead singer of Linkin Park, dead apparently by suicide. Hadn't listened to them in ten years, but they held a special place in my heart as a teenager, and he was obviously a big part of that.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jul/20/chester-bennington-lead-singer-of-linkin-park-dies-at-age-41

This is the song that got me into them as a 15 year old. Seemed so different in tone and content to everything else on the radio then – really captured the universal feeling of teenage angst. RIP.

https://youtu.be/kXYiU_JCYtU

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:17 am

Sorry for your, and the music worlds loss.

So many singers take this way out, were all his songs sad or melancholy?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:39 am

I liked linkin park, interesting mix of rap and singing with some great melodies.

In the End is a great one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVTXPUF4Oz4

Angsty is the term I'd use rather than melancholy.

Somewhere I belong https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsCD5XCu6CM

New Divide from the Transformers movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysSxxIqKNN0

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:11 am

David wrote:
Chester Bennington, lead singer of Linkin Park, dead apparently by suicide. Hadn't listened to them in ten years, but they held a special place in my heart as a teenager, and he was obviously a big part of that.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jul/20/chester-bennington-lead-singer-of-linkin-park-dies-at-age-41

This is the song that got me into them as a 15 year old. Seemed so different in tone and content to everything else on the radio then – really captured the universal feeling of teenage angst. RIP.

https://youtu.be/kXYiU_JCYtU

They were massive in the early 2000s in my pre-teen days. Numb, One Step Closer and In The End were my favourite songs from the band.

Sad news.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Hearing about a work colleague's custody battles. He's dealing with an ex who has repeatedly flouted custody orders (taking the kids away for months at a time) and seems to want to do everything in her power to destroy his life. He's already spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on legal costs (despite them consistently finding in his favour), has lost all his assets, is in debt paying off his legal fees and been living with his elderly parents for the last couple of years.

Now, just a few weeks ago, the police have turned up on his doorstep following up an allegation from his ex that he's been physically abusing his children (specifically, smacking one of them on the leg with a wooden spoon), even though he swears he's never once used any kind of corporal punishment with them. Frankly, I have little doubt that he's telling the truth – his ex-wife is a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic and has a history of vexatious allegations; he, on the other hand, is a big but gentle guy. She's taken the kids away over the course of this period and he hasn't seen them for over a month again.

I have no doubt that he would win the case if it went to court again and that she would be convicted of making false allegations. But he has no money and is worn out by the whole saga. It sounds like an absolute nightmare, and I'm seriously worried for his well-being. The worst thing is that all of society's structures seem to be failing him: the courts can't enforce their custody orders, the police treated him as if he was the scum of the earth, and now the DHS is presuming guilt too. The whole thing just seems absolutely hopeless. What do you say to a person in a situation like this?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:08 pm

David wrote:
Hearing about a work colleague's custody battles. He's dealing with an ex who has repeatedly flouted custody orders (taking the kids away for months at a time) and seems to want to do everything in her power to destroy his life. He's already spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on legal costs (despite them consistently finding in his favour), has lost all his assets, is in debt paying off his legal fees and been living with his elderly parents for the last couple of years.

Now, just a few weeks ago, the police have turned up on his doorstep following up an allegation from his ex that he's been physically abusing his children (specifically, smacking one of them on the leg with a wooden spoon), even though he swears he's never once used any kind of corporal punishment with them. Frankly, I have little doubt that he's telling the truth – his ex-wife is a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic and has a history of vexatious allegations; he, on the other hand, is a big but gentle guy. She's taken the kids away over the course of this period and he hasn't seen them for over a month again.

I have no doubt that he would win the case if it went to court again and that she would be convicted of making false allegations. But he has no money and is worn out by the whole saga. It sounds like an absolute nightmare, and I'm seriously worried for his well-being. The worst thing is that all of society's structures seem to be failing him: the courts can't enforce their custody orders, the police treated him as if he was the scum of the earth, and now the DHS is presuming guilt too. The whole thing just seems absolutely hopeless. What do you say to a person in a situation like this?

You're a bloke, the system is hopelessly biased against you, so you're screwed.
Change tactics and work with the system, acknowledging the bias and settle on an outcome you can live with rather than one you like.

I've known a few in similar situations, you have to pick your fights,

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:15 pm

David wrote:

What can you say? Not much just be supportive and listen and encourage them to talk and seek assistance from every avenue possible - community centres, websites and when it gets really tough Lifeline and the like ( in my time so so many calls where from blokes in bad family situations like this) - when everyone thinks you are doing bad when you are trying so hard and have the best intentions having someone say you are doing good can make a big difference!!

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Got news my best friend was found dead last night. Collinwood, Coburg supporter and loved his beer and red. Just got back from a holiday in europe. 68 years of age. Vale Ippy. I will miss you mate. Got kicked out of MCC area for yelling percentage when we were killing the Demons one Queens birthday.

When I was in trouble in Thailand in hospital he lent me money when no one else could or would.

A life well lived.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 30 of 70   

Jump to: