Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you sad today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:35 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

You've had a battle Stui. I know it's not a solution to your requirements on the aged care front, but the state of our aged care system for a country as wealthy and well resourced as Australia is an indictment on us all for letting it get to this point.

We all need to start our own education and transition to this phase much earlier.
Our capacity to make significant transformation of our living requirements both physically, mentally and finacially in my experience diminishes from about 65.

But to leave off on a lighter note somewhat within context of the aged care discussion, if you need a lift, I'll leave the following link-

https://youtu.be/oyNTapLGw8Y?si=QY6lQ29vDIqMcs6S

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:51 pm

David wrote:
Can totally understand the mixed emotions, Stui. There’s certainly no shame in reflecting with some sadness despite it all. The great news here is that the right decision has been made by the court and that your grandson is going to have a great upbringing in a loving home. Your daughter sounds like someone you must feel immense pride over.

Thanks David, yes very much mixed emotions but now time for everyone to focus on the positives and move forward.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:57 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
You've had a battle Stui. I know it's not a solution to your requirements on the aged care front, but the state of our aged care system for a country as wealthy and well resourced as Australia is an indictment on us all for letting it get to this point.

We all need to start our own education and transition to this phase much earlier.
Our capacity to make significant transformation of our living requirements both physically, mentally and finacially in my experience diminishes from about 65.

But to leave off on a lighter note somewhat within context of the aged care discussion, if you need a lift, I'll leave the following link-

https://youtu.be/oyNTapLGw8Y?si=QY6lQ29vDIqMcs6S

Thanks Laurie,

Things have worked out for my Aunt, her Son took charge, got her into the local Lions Hostel initially as respite, now he's going through all the paperwork and options to make it permanent. I don't think she realises yet that it's going to be permanent but her short term memory is basically shot so it won't make much difference. They look after people well there and she pretty much knows all the other inhabitants so she'll be good.

My mum is no real problem yet. She's comfortable living with me and I'm not overly inconvenienced so it works.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:06 am

Yesterday I ventured into the city to pick the Mrs and her friend up due to ongoing Train works. Parked at NGV (my parking is covered by work). The dog and I walked to South Bank to meet them at the Bar where the girls were inhaling cocktails. On the way near Hamer Hall an elderly woman fell over. The place was packed and I was 10 meters from her and yet I was the only one that went to her aid whilst everyone around me just kept walking past. Luckily she was OK, didn't hit her head and once we got her up she was OK. I was Sad and Angry that this could happen right in front of me.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:51 pm

That’s so shit, but I’m so glad you were there. Xx well done
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:09 pm

Culprit wrote:
Yesterday I ventured into the city to pick the Mrs and her friend up due to ongoing Train works. Parked at NGV (my parking is covered by work). The dog and I walked to South Bank to meet them at the Bar where the girls were inhaling cocktails. On the way near Hamer Hall an elderly woman fell over. The place was packed and I was 10 meters from her and yet I was the only one that went to her aid whilst everyone around me just kept walking past. Luckily she was OK, didn't hit her head and once we got her up she was OK. I was Sad and Angry that this could happen right in front of me.

I’m sad but not surprised. On one occasion my son and I were on the train back to Bendigo when some country hicks (3 of them) started sneering at and being bigoted towards these 3 young Vietnamese girls, saying abhorrent stuff about them sticking to kitchen duties or washing dishes etc. After a short while, I had had enough and confronted them about their behaviour. I gave them the chance to go to another carriage or else I would call the police to meet the train in Bendigo. They left the carriage but what got me was that not one other passenger helped or supported my son and me. It left me wondering if they somehow condoned the despicable behaviour 🤬 As a dark skinned person who has lived in Bendigo for over 44 years, I have never been the victim of any racial discrimination. I don’t walk around with a chip on my shoulder. 99% of the locals are fabulous people but as usual it’s the tiny minority that descend into the gutter.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:52 pm

That's the way it is.

Months ago I was in the supermarket and one of the staff there, young woman, mid 20's, bit overweight was walking towards one of the shelves when she just hit the deck. hard. Don't know if she slipped.

I went straight over to her and asked if she was OK? Did she need a hand up? She said she was fine and got straight up and took off but you could see she was shaken up. No one else had even stopped to look.

Sometime a few weeks later, I was in the same shop and the woman spotted me and came over to say thank you for the offer of help and showing concern. She was too rattled at the time but when she recognised me, wanted to say thanks.

Doesn't take much effort to just show a bit of decency.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:16 pm

So not quite 6 weeks after my Aunty moved into the retirement hostel, she's now back in the Hospital in Palliative care, expecting her to die within days.

Her son has done a great job managing everything, the quick deterioration has been both amazing and sad to see. I took my daughter and grandson to see her on Boxing day, she was non-compus.

My theory is she's apparently had a few falls since moving in. She has a thing with a button hanging round her neck which she is supposed to use to call staff for help to go to the toilet or anything else she wants, but she forgot what it was for and tried to do things herself and just face planted.

Frequent falls means body bruising and cumulative head knocks which means her head get's quickly more and more scattered. No criticism of the place she's in, they are doing a great job, but it's not designed for high needs aged care people. If she had of moved in 12 months ago, things might be different but she went in too late.

I'm going back up on Monday, with Mum (I can't leave her alone atm for more than 30 minutes) and taking a suit with me. I'm anticipating attending a funeral very soon.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:21 am

stui magpie wrote:
That's the way it is.

Months ago I was in the supermarket and one of the staff there, young woman, mid 20's, bit overweight was walking towards one of the shelves when she just hit the deck. hard. Don't know if she slipped.

I went straight over to her and asked if she was OK? Did she need a hand up? She said she was fine and got straight up and took off but you could see she was shaken up. No one else had even stopped to look.

Sometime a few weeks later, I was in the same shop and the woman spotted me and came over to say thank you for the offer of help and showing concern. She was too rattled at the time but when she recognised me, wanted to say thanks.

Doesn't take much effort to just show a bit of decency.

Nice work. People definitely appreciate it, even when they're too shy to thank you for the concern.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:08 pm

So my Aunty didn't quite last a week back in Hospital, died on Friday arvo.

The speed of the mental deterioration was incredible, within 2 months she went from living alone and being alert to not having a clue what was going on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70
Page 70 of 70   

Jump to: