Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Abbott Ministry: 6th Worst Representation of Women in OECD

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:56 am
Post subject: Abbott Ministry: 6th Worst Representation of Women in OECDReply with quote

I know, I know; it would've unfair for him to overlook the great long list of brilliant, talented men in his party, like Genius Joe, Bumblehead Brandis, and Whiny Pyne Laughing Laughing

"Look, you know what women are like: Yap, yap, yap. You can't shut them up, let alone ban them from appearing on Q&A, or command them not to talk about us paying off people smugglers."

The Aged wrote:
The Abbott government ministry is one of the worst in the developed world for gender balance.

A new report from the Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development says the gap between women and men in ministerial positions in Australia has actually worsened since 2012, despite the government's reshuffle in December.

It says Australia now has fewer women in its highest ranks of government than every OECD country except for Greece, Korea, Turkey, Hungary and Slovakia.

Two countries the OECD is considering accepting into its fold - Latvia and Colombia - have far higher female representation in ministerial positions than Australia.

"The gender imbalance found in senior levels of central government considerably limits the role of women in the decision-making process," the report warns.

The OECD report, Government at a Glance 2015, is the first of its kind in two years.

It says governments have realised in recent decades that a more representative public administration provides them with access to "previously overlooked" knowledge and perspectives.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/sixthworst-in-the-world-the-gender-charts-that-shame-the-abbott-government-20150707-gi6m1y.html

View Chart
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

So who should be a minister who's not already?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:52 am

Nobody is shocked by this revelation. The Party of the 50's
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:16 am

Wokko wrote:

You want a list? OK. Start with these: Cathy McGowan, Chris Bowen, Larissa Waters, Mark Dreyfus, Nick Xenophon, Adam Bandt, Kim Carr, Peter Whish-Wilson, Janet Rice, Rachel Siewert, Catherine King, Anthony Albanese, Wayne Swan, Penny Wong, Penny Wright, Scott Ludlam, Tony Burke, Tanya Plibersek, Lee Rhiannon, Jenny Macklin.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:26 am

PTID's much loved Korea isn't fairing to well.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:14 am

swoop42 wrote:
PTID's much loved Korea isn't fairing to well.

I am almost certain you don't know just how hilarious that is as a national defense:

"Yes, but we're two spots above the most conservative Confucian country in the world, South Korea!"

Laughing

My partner wouldn't go back to live there if you paid her for the reason of gender discrimination alone. I spend half my day defending Korea against Koreans cursing their own country, for goodness' sake!

Ask first, post later, Swoop.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:06 pm

Tannin wrote:
Wokko wrote:

You want a list? OK. Start with these: Cathy McGowan, Chris Bowen, Larissa Waters, Mark Dreyfus, Nick Xenophon, Adam Bandt, Kim Carr, Peter Whish-Wilson, Janet Rice, Rachel Siewert, Catherine King, Anthony Albanese, Wayne Swan, Penny Wong, Penny Wright, Scott Ludlam, Tony Burke, Tanya Plibersek, Lee Rhiannon, Jenny Macklin.

Laughing Laughing

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Tannin wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Ho ho, very droll sir.

Any nat libs? Mirabella would be but she got the arse. Bronny is speaker.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:05 pm

There 2 Complete and Utter Morons and Only There to Line there Own Pockets Evil or Very Mad

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:45 pm

Wokko wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Ho ho, very droll sir.

Any nat libs? Mirabella would be but she got the arse. Bronny is speaker.

I'm not sure there are many Libs or Nationals of either gender suitable to be frontbenchers. But I'd expect there to be relatively talented female Coalition MPs on the backbenches. If not, then perhaps that says a lot about the structure of the party and the ability of women to rise through the ranks.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:37 pm

The trouble with politicians, David, is that they need to be two things: (a) talented and (b) willing to use those talents for the public good rather to in the service of their wealthy masters, and/or for lining their own bank accounts and/or for the mindless accrual of power for its own sake.

Or, to put it briefly, (a) talented and (b) decent. It doesn't hurt if they are also (c) well-informed and intelligent enough to understand the fundamentals of evidence, logic, economics, science, and social action, though you might regard those as merely something you have to master to qualify as (a).

I'm not aware of any current Liberals who qualify on both counts. There may be some - you'd think there would be - but I suppose they keep a low profile because since about 1980 or so the Liberal Party has been ruthlessly eliminating deep thinkers and moderates and actual liberals and replacing them with hard-line goons like (for example) Christiansen and Brandis and our old friend Senator Bestiality. The fact that Pyne - Mr Hardline Wreck-the-education-system Overnight himself - is regarded in the Liberal Party as - of all things - a "moderate" shows just how extreme they are. Are there any decent Liberals left now that Turnbull has shown his true colours?

In the Liberal Party led by Menzies, Holt, Gorton, Snedden, Fraser, Hewson, McMahon and Peacock, Pyne would have been regarded as a hard-line right-winger better suited to the DLP or some unelectable fringe group.

It's a pretty fair bet that there are no decent and talented female Liberal senators or MHRs. None at all. But then there don't seem to be any decent and talented male Liberals either anymore, so at least you can say that they don't discriminate on gender anymore.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:41 pm

Where is tokenism when you need it?Too busy attacking Bronnie or Julia Bishop I suspect.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:22 pm

From what little you see of them the women of the Liberal party appear to have the same smug born to rule personality of there make counter parts anyway.

There overall look and demeanor also gives off a certain vibe that I don't get from female politicians of Labor and the Greens.

A lot of them wouldn't look out of place as a "Toorak" wife for instance.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:15 pm

swoop42 wrote:
From what little you see of them the women of the Liberal party appear to have the same smug born to rule personality of there make counter parts anyway.

There overall look and demeanor also gives off a certain vibe that I don't get from female politicians of Labor and the Greens.

A lot of them wouldn't look out of place as a "Toorak" wife for instance.

The Leading Women there Bishop.

She comes across as Evil

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:56 am

When I am attacked by crocodiles and ripped limb from limb, it will be important for me to know the gender of each of my attackers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: