Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pay TV & watching AFL / Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you getting, not getting, ceasing pay TV?
Do you have other forms of visual media to watch live AFL such as T Box?
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Did you cease pay TV last year?
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Are you considering ceasing pay TV this year?
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
I will not be getting pay TV at all (ever) as far as I know
23%
 23%  [ 15 ]
Are you considering getting a form of Pay TV this year (2015)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
I have pay TV & will not be changing this
64%
 64%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 65

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wren wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Defender wrote:
I just get the live app for all our non FTA games, had to many bad experiences with Foxtel.

Do you connect your app to a TV screen?

i knew there was a hidden agenda. Wink

i had foxtel. got rid of it when i moved. had a dreadful time trying to disconnect and get credits refunded to me. they could only offer the refund as a cheque because all my payments were bpay. who the f stills deals in cheques. learnt that it does not pay to be a good citizen, pay by bpay and always ensure your account is in credit.

is there an internet only subscription available? is that what telstra's t box is? foxtel get £$%$ed as far as i am concerned. will look to the afl subscription for my footy fix.

so, to answer my own question, foxtel offer foxtel play which is an internet only subscription. $50 per month for one genre plus sport.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:06 am

That's an interesting development JW. I'd never heard of that before and Foxtel certainly didn't mention that solution the last time I spoke with them and I think that was about 6 months ago. How long has this plan been in existence?

From looking at the website, you must choose at least one entertainment pack @$25 and I'd want the sport ($25) for a total of $50 per month. This allows me to watch on my Mac or my TV plus watch on my phone or Pad. That's what I've been waiting for.

I guess I weigh up $50 a month for the Foxtel Play package Vs $6 a week for the AFL app.

As I won't need the service very often this year, can anybody tell me if this service is Opt-In/Opt-Out like the AFL app or is one locked in for a period of time?

Edit: Wait, closer reading reveals the TV stream is only available for Smart TVs and footy is not available for computers. So we pay $50 per month to watch on a tablet? No thanks Foxtel. The weekly tablet/phone deal @$5 looks much better by comparison.

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:18 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
That's an interesting development JW. I'd never heard of that before and Foxtel certainly didn't mention that solution the last time I spoke with them and I think that was about 6 months ago. How long has this plan been in existence?

From looking at the website, you must choose at least one entertainment pack @$25 and I'd want the sport ($25) for a total of $50 per month. This allows me to watch on my Mac or my TV plus watch on my phone or Pad. That's what I've been waiting for.

I guess I weigh up $50 a month for the Foxtel Play package Vs $6 a week for the AFL app.

As I won't need the service very often this year, can anybody tell me if this service is Opt-In/Opt-Out like the AFL app or is one locked in for a period of time?

Edit: Wait, closer reading reveals the TV stream is only available for Smart TVs and footy is not available for computers. So we pay $50 per month to watch on a tablet? No thanks Foxtel. The weekly tablet/phone deal @$5 looks much better by comparison.
get a old ps3 or xbox360, you can get them very cheap, although they both then sting you for using their network connection. lots of tv's and bluray plyers are compatible.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:05 pm

Ceased it end of last year.

Will be streaming this season. Using Smart DNS I will be using the AFL international streaming. At the same time I have started using Netflix and Hulu and I have bought a Roku streaming player (hoping to be able to stream the AFL through that at some point).

Netflix and Hulu through the Roku allows me to watch a shite load of shows (docos, movies etc). Some of the newer stuff isn't on there but you can buy those via the streamer on other apps (or use a variety of work arounds to get them for free as well).

In the mean time have a PC permanently connected to the TV which will allow me to watch it on the big screen.

Foxtel is a rip off.

Last edited by Joel on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:08 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:

Joel??

1. Smart DNS (ie. Unblock.us). Monthly fee of $5. Follow guide.
2. Sign up to AFL international streaming. About $130 a year.
3. Connect PC to tv and watch through that.

It's what I will be doing this year. Hopefully it works well.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:32 pm

Joel wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

Joel??

Doing exactly the same thing Joel with unblock.us & Netflix.
Set it up on my tv using our PS3 Wink
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:36 pm

^I find myself watching a fair few docos and the netflix shows (ie. Marco Polo, Peaky Blinders etc). Love it, have hardly watched live tv since I got it

Though the key was getting the Roku Streaming player, so the PC didn't need to be turned and no requirement for keyboard to watch).
Brenny 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:58 pm

I've got it and wont be changing.

V8's will be on Fox next year and if the coverage is anything like the MotoGP on Fox, then it will be effing awesome and I can't wait... plus I'm convinced F1 will end up there, too.

I also love watching the WEC and Formula E (can't believe I actually like it) and other forms of sport like the NFL (Dallas were robbed), Darts, NBA and even the skiing in summer.

I'm also signed up to the American Netflix and that won't be dropped in a hurry either.

So no, I wont be getting rid of Foxtel.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:01 am

Neil Appleby wrote:

month by month contract. yeah, i thought it odd that you can't get fox footy via the pc app but can via the tablet app. i relented and am trialling it (free) for two weeks. i will just connect the tablet to the tv. i like a lot of the other footy shows they have so am likely to use this on an ongoing basis.

thanks to the others for alerting me how to access other forms of streaming content.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:04 am

Joel wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

Joel??

Thanks Joel, that sounds like something I can look into.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:13 pm

Just be aware that only a couple of the Smart DNS websites (ie. unblock.us) will allow you to access the International streaming.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:51 pm

John Wren wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

month by month contract. yeah, i thought it odd that you can't get fox footy via the pc app but can via the tablet app. i relented and am trialling it (free) for two weeks. i will just connect the tablet to the tv. i like a lot of the other footy shows they have so am likely to use this on an ongoing basis.

thanks to the others for alerting me how to access other forms of streaming content.

after further investigation i have since discovered foxtel have blocked the use of apple tv or hdmi adapter to dsiplay ipad on tv. i have downloaded air parrot which mirrors the laptop on tv via apple tv. signed up for unblock-us and now opening myself up to a world i knew existed but previously cbf'd setting up.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:55 pm

Joel wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

Joel??

other than a few dollars and location, what's the difference between interrnational streaming and australian streaming? why wouldn't you opt for the latter?

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:20 pm

Aussie streaming you can't do on the pc.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:56 am

thanks. does the streaming provide access to the fox footy shows?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: