Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pay TV & watching AFL / Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you getting, not getting, ceasing pay TV?
Do you have other forms of visual media to watch live AFL such as T Box?
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Did you cease pay TV last year?
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Are you considering ceasing pay TV this year?
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
I will not be getting pay TV at all (ever) as far as I know
23%
 23%  [ 15 ]
Are you considering getting a form of Pay TV this year (2015)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
I have pay TV & will not be changing this
64%
 64%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 65

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no option that asked, If you could get Foxtel would you?
But anyway, I can't get it in my building so that's that.

What interests me is the AFL app for weekly view. A Melbourne friend says it's pretty good as you can often get two games in that time frame ie Sunday and Friday. She watches on her iPad and says it's fine and I got a similar story from a Genius at the Doncaster Apple store, a Collingwood supporter, who demonstrated how he could watch any Collingwood game already played.

OK, you know where I am going here; I am quite willing to pay per view so long as I don't have to torture myself by watching it on an iPad; too small for me and quite solitary. How to share the experience?

So fellow Nicksters, I no longer wish to risk my computer by watching streams via Europe that are riddled with malware. Last year this led to much pain, so I want to know how I can pay per view from the AFL and watch it via my Apple TV or similar. I can't believe there isn't a way.

Joel??

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:41 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I have Foxtel, have had it for years and will be keeping it.

Ditto!

Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:24 pm

I like foxtel for the sport, discovery, NatGeo, history, and the crime channel. The rest is above or below me. MusicMax is ok, the rest of the music channels are meh.

Love foxtel for the footy, and initially, it was the only reason I got it a few years ago.

If money was tight, Foxtel would get the chop first. Would I miss it?, no.

Go the Pies
partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:12 am

Neil Appleby wrote:

What interests me is the AFL app for weekly view. A Melbourne friend says it's pretty good as you can often get two games in that time frame ie Sunday and Friday. She watches on her iPad and says it's fine and I got a similar story from a Genius at the Doncaster Apple store, a Collingwood supporter, who demonstrated how he could watch any Collingwood game already played.

OK, you know where I am going here; I am quite willing to pay per view so long as I don't have to torture myself by watching it on an iPad; too small for me and quite solitary. How to share the experience?

So fellow Nicksters, I no longer wish to risk my computer by watching streams via Europe that are riddled with malware. Last year this led to much pain, so I want to know how I can pay per view from the AFL and watch it via my Apple TV or similar. I can't believe there isn't a way.

Joel??

My daughters boyfriend told me he worked out a way to trick the app to stream through Apple tv, involving pausing the video, turning on the Apple TV and pressing play very quickly. When I see him I will get him to explain fully and will post it for you and WPT.

I spent most of last year in Queensland and got tbox (it's wireless) with a telstra bundle and fox sports, in preference to foxtel because of not wanting cabling all over a rented apartment.

Having said that I watched games with other people quite sociably on my iPad mini.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:38 am

Neil Appleby wrote:

Joel??

If you sign up to Telstra you can get a T box and watch on your TV.
The problem is that it is exclusive to Telstra
The worse problem is you have to deal with the anti christ sorry Telstra.

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:08 am

Neil Appleby wrote:

Joel??
Apple are very anal about watching tv from your devices (sorry fanboi's), you'd probably find a better way with the android chromecast type devices as there is a huge base of people hacking them, either way it's not a very elegant solution.
winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:44 am

stui magpie wrote:

Me too. Can't stand all the bloody ads after every goal on free to air. Also get great reports in the breaks particularly at half time.

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:01 am

winpies wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Me too. Can't stand all the bloody ads after every goal on free to air. Also get great reports in the breaks particularly at half time.
haha it's been so long I forgot about all the bloody adds! no adds siren to siren is worth the money there!
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:00 pm

didick wrote:
^Hi 35forever,
We've just moved to Brisbane after 6 years being spoilt for live Pies games in Melbourne. Looking forward to Rd 1. Does anyone know when tickets go on sale?
Don't think I could do without Foxtel being this far away from the action.

Hi Didick! Always good to have another Magpie fan up here in bananaland!
You really will want Foxtel unfortunately because the alternative is bugger all footy! I too despise handing cash to that criminal Murdoch, but when you see FTA TV up here you'll know why. Nothing but bloody 'Reality' shows, and endless infomercials if you are up late. I can usually find something inofensive to watch on Foxtel between channel 610 & 640 (nat geo, animal planet, history, crime, and assorted documentaries). I hardly watch the other 200 channels except the footy of course. Then again I almost never watch FTA TV, except for the cricket.
Fox are very clever with the way they group their 'extra' channels. You're forced to get all 3 'packages' to get all the Doco channels. And my god! The ads!! They are a nightmare! If you were to watch TV all day you'd see the same insurance ad 30-40 times, theres far less variation than 'commercial' TV. I've had several occasions when the ad breaks were so long I've forgotten what I was watching!

@Magpie Mad: no ads 'siren to siren' is misleading, makes it sound like the whole game, but its actually quarters. As soon as the quarter time siren goes strap in for half hour ad breaks! I think I'd rather a single ad after each goal!

Although now we have Greenwood, Crisp and Moore we're gonna kick so many chikos it might get annoying!!!!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:00 pm

didick wrote:
^Hi 35forever,
We've just moved to Brisbane after 6 years being spoilt for live Pies games in Melbourne. Looking forward to Rd 1. Does anyone know when tickets go on sale?
Don't think I could do without Foxtel being this far away from the action.

Hi Didick! Always good to have another Magpie fan up here in bananaland!
You really will want Foxtel unfortunately because the alternative is bugger all footy! I too despise handing cash to that criminal Murdoch, but when you see FTA TV up here you'll know why. Nothing but bloody 'Reality' shows, and endless infomercials if you are up late. I can usually find something inofensive to watch on Foxtel between channel 610 & 640 (nat geo, animal planet, history, crime, and assorted documentaries). I hardly watch the other 200 channels except the footy of course. Then again I almost never watch FTA TV, except for the cricket.
Fox are very clever with the way they group their 'extra' channels. You're forced to get all 3 'packages' to get all the Doco channels. And my god! The ads!! They are a nightmare! If you were to watch TV all day you'd see the same insurance ad 30-40 times, theres far less variation than 'commercial' TV. I've had several occasions when the ad breaks were so long I've forgotten what I was watching!

@Magpie Mad: no ads 'siren to siren' is misleading, makes it sound like the whole game, but its actually quarters. As soon as the quarter time siren goes strap in for half hour ad breaks! I think I'd rather a single ad after each goal!

Although now we have Greenwood, Crisp and Moore we're gonna kick so many chikos it might get annoying!!!!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:19 pm

^Thanks 35F. We tried to do without foxtel for a while after the move here but couldn't stand it. FTA is shocking here. Nearly all the new FTA channels are infomercials. Why don't they show them on those freeview ads? They may as well as that's what all the extra channels have pretty much ended up being.
At this time of year it seems particularly bad. Foxtel gives many more options but it's still far, far from perfect. Lots of repeats.
7 seems to have screwed up regular season NFL too. Not showing as many games as One HD was. NFL on fox is still average too, with the Red Zone show only while multiple games are on.
Was looking forward to our season from hell finishing towards the end of it last year and now the new season can't come soon enough. Bring on RD 1!

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:22 am

partypie wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

Joel??

My daughters boyfriend told me he worked out a way to trick the app to stream through Apple tv, involving pausing the video, turning on the Apple TV and pressing play very quickly. When I see him I will get him to explain fully and will post it for you and WPT.

I spent most of last year in Queensland and got tbox (it's wireless) with a telstra bundle and fox sports, in preference to foxtel because of not wanting cabling all over a rented apartment.

Having said that I watched games with other people quite sociably on my iPad mini.

I'll look forward to that Partypie, but perhaps post a message saying you have a solution and asking us to PM to get it? We know that the AFL spies on supporter sites in a bid to close down illegal streams, so let's not alert them. BTW, watching with friends via an iPad Mini is not something I'd even care to contemplate; you'd be on top of each other! Shocked

ip address 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:36 am
Post subject: FoxtelReply with quote

I got Foxtel about 3 years ago as has been mentioned above when they came out with that $50 offer and you get a stack of other channels as well.

Prior to that, I had to go to various pubs to watch it live.

However, the problems were:
- I can only afford to see one game and that is at Patersons
- the drive to the pub and back
- the cost of the food and drink at the pub
- the painful anti-Pies supporters in WA who didn't even barrack for the team we were playing against but took great pleasure in giving everyone grief. Namely the Weagles and Fockers supporters when we would be playing say Geelong, etc.
- the times when Fox Sports weren't broadcasting the game due to the Weagles or Fockers were playing at the same time.
- the times when Fox Sports weren't broadcasting the game at all and you had to find a pub that was illegally broadcasting the feed via Setanta??

I love Foxtel because:
- of Fox Sports and I can watch Pies games all "live".
- the issues mentioned above disappear
- I can go to my fridge/pantry and eat/drink for free.
- my wife is happy as I haven't left home for 5 hours and she even watches games now, too.
- I have the IQ box with 1Tb hard drive so I can record games.
- I always watch every game that we win twice, both "live" and then later prior to our next game.
- the memorable games I keep on the IQ box and watch them over again in the off season or when there isn't something suitable on the 100 other channels.
- I can also record and/or watch my Premier League and NBA team's games.
- Finally, my wife and kids love me because they can watch the other available 100 channels.

Unfortunately, Foxtel comes at a cost and I don't subscribe to the expensive packages on offer but it is very advantageous for me and I tighten my belt elsewhere. However, I do admit to missing the noise and camaraderie of Pies supporters at the pub.

From

Foxtel General Manager Laughing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:24 am
Post subject: Re: FoxtelReply with quote

ip address wrote:
I got Foxtel about 3 years ago as has been mentioned above when they came out with that $50 offer and you get a stack of other channels as well.

From

Foxtel General Manager Laughing

Laughing Laughing

Ian Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:34 pm

Am a sports nut....follow clubs in EPL, Bundesliga & South America and also NFL in the US.....would never get rid of Foxtel for this reason alone - also the News channels now give much more variety than FTA - SKY, CNN, FOX and various asian and middle eastern services which is great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: