Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pay TV & watching AFL / Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you getting, not getting, ceasing pay TV?
Do you have other forms of visual media to watch live AFL such as T Box?
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Did you cease pay TV last year?
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Are you considering ceasing pay TV this year?
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
I will not be getting pay TV at all (ever) as far as I know
23%
 23%  [ 15 ]
Are you considering getting a form of Pay TV this year (2015)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
I have pay TV & will not be changing this
64%
 64%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 65

Holbrook Bloke Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is just for Vic viewers but thought I'd add my two cents worth.
The last time we had paytv, it was through Optus (yeah, years ago). Moved house and they took too long so we gave it up. It was hard in Sydney when we set up the club because the replays came on Channel 7 from 9.30pm but these days, I just head to the pub with SCSC members to watch the game.

There are so many great footy shows on Fox but if got it and watched them all, the missus would be none too pleased.

Camelia Grove Hotel - The best AFL pub in Sydney all season, not just the finals.
Kwah-LeBaire 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:07 pm

I tried Foxtel on a one year subscription. It seemed to me that a good 90% of what was on was decades-old reruns of crap TV shows. Once the footy finished for the year, I tried to cancel and what a circus that turned into. I signed for a one-year subscription and I didn't mind paying for that in full, but Foxtel still gave me a helluva runaround. I won't go near Foxtel ever again.

What else to watch? DVDs. We have stacks of those, and there's more at the video rental places.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:24 pm

When I cancelled Foxtel about 2 years ago, I had no problems. Got it put back on before Christmas with the $25 a month special. But not much on, so now we bumped to the movies and docos for hubby. Has more entertainment too. Like watching Chicago Fire the day it airs in the USA. LIke watching Seinfeld, even though we have the whole set! The other night I watched SVU about 3-4 in a row, (not feeling well, watched it in bed) it was great! Il upgrade when the footy is on. Had a hell of a job cancelling AFL. Live, even they admit the site is not user friendly. Got it all credited though.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:52 pm

I have and won't Change.

Though I normally Download torrent of the Game

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:07 pm

For me the great nightmare is recording a Friday night game coz I hafta go out or something. I always set the Foxtel Box to start the recording 5 or 10 minutes after the scheduled time, even if it means missing the start. Every time I go to watch the game the first thing on the tape is the end of the replay or something else which tells me who won such as an interview with a jubilant coach. The idiots at foxtel just don't ever seem to get anything right, they are utterly incompetent. Trying to watch any game after its scheduled start time without finding out the score is pretty much impossible. Last year I had to cover the corner of my lovely 55" Smart TV with a book to block out the scores of other games. The one which really blows me away is their insistence on giving away the Final score of the game they themselves are playing NEXT!
The one disaster about Pay TV in Aust. is the lack of competition. It always means high prices and poor service. I hate Foxtel intensely, they are greedy and dishonest, but without it I'd see very few Collingwood games, and the only footy-related show we get in South East Qld is "The Footy Show" Which seems to be more about cross-dressing than Footy.

But still I can't wait 92 more days... I'm going nuts!!! (My lovely wife on the other hand...)

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:15 pm

^Hi 35forever,
We've just moved to Brisbane after 6 years being spoilt for live Pies games in Melbourne. Looking forward to Rd 1. Does anyone know when tickets go on sale?
Don't think I could do without Foxtel being this far away from the action.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:45 pm

I don't have Foxtel because.

A.It's too expensive and overpriced.
B.They have tons of stations that i don't want or need to watch.
C.I don't want to give Rupert Murdoch any of my hard earned money.Lol.

I think the A.F.L live app is a pretty good option,especially if you can hook it up to your tv from your tablet.I just wish they had an option where you can pay for one individual game instead of the whole week's games,because i have no real interest in watching non Collingwood games.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:49 pm

didick wrote:
^Hi 35forever,
We've just moved to Brisbane after 6 years being spoilt for live Pies games in Melbourne. Looking forward to Rd 1. Does anyone know when tickets go on sale?
Don't think I could do without Foxtel being this far away from the action.

Ha ha suffer free to air has SFA AFL stuff unfortunately Foxtel know they can rip you off as people are willing to pay through the nose for football. Pity the quality is shit .

You need a PVR or T Box to watch the few shows on late Monday nights.

Cleomenes 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:32 pm

Eventually Foxtel will get us all when they get a monopoly on the footy. Until then I will resist buying all the things I don't want to get the one I do. It is an appalling business model and treats us with contempt. Oh for the days when the ABC had footy.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:01 pm

Cleomenes wrote:
Eventually Foxtel will get us all when they get a monopoly on the footy. Until then I will resist buying all the things I don't want to get the one I do. It is an appalling business model and treats us with contempt. Oh for the days when the ABC had footy.

My memory is failing me. Were Doug Haywood & Geoff Leak on TV? I think they were.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:17 pm

doriswilgus wrote:

I think the A.F.L live app is a pretty good option,especially if you can hook it up to your tv from your tablet.I just wish they had an option where you can pay for one individual game instead of the whole week's games,because i have no real interest in watching non Collingwood games.

Does this extend to a boycott of anything from 20th Century Fox, HarperCollins, Dow Jones, the Australian, Herald Sun, MX?

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:21 pm

Cleomenes wrote:

What about their Newspaper business model? I want to just read the sports but have to buy a whole paper full of news, weather, racing guides and other crap.

Makes me so angry.

Personally, I find the free to air TV business model more offensive. At least with Foxtel, if I don't like it, I won't pay for it. But Free to air TV doesn't give me the choice of whether I pay or not and they shove all this crap I don't want to watch down my throat.

Disgusting.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:40 pm

Just on the comment about foxtel being too expensive, fair enough but price is relative.

You can get a sport package including the footy channel for $50 a month that also has lots of entertainment channels.

https://www.foxtel.com.au/shop/packages-and-deals/?execution=e1s1

$50 a month is basically $1.67 per day.

Do you buy a coffee while you're at work each day? You're paying more than $1.67 for that. How many coffees a day do you buy?

Do you take your lunch and morning tea to work or do you buy it? If you buy it you're blowing at least $5-$10 per day over taking stuff from home.

Do you buy a newspaper each day? you're paying for a whole lot of crap you don't read.

In my case I don't buy newspapers, I take food to work and I have foxtel.

Now there's many people who are legitimately short of money and just can't afford pay tv, no argument, but if you can afford to buy a coffee and a newspaper each day, you can more than afford Foxtel.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:33 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:

Does this extend to a boycott of anything from 20th Century Fox, HarperCollins, Dow Jones, the Australian, Herald Sun, MX?

No.No.No.Yes definitely.Yes definitely.And i don't even know what MX is.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:59 pm

Well for all games in Melbourne. I am at the Game Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: