Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2015 The final eight

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
This is my ladder prediction! Just my opinion so don't take it to heart if you disagree with it.

1). Port Adelaide - A side that is ready to hit its peak and is at the right age to dominate for a few years now. They've got experience of tough finals matches behind them and if they don't have any fadeouts during the season I'm convinced they can win it this year.
2). Sydney - Sydney will be back with vengeance after a deplorable Grand Final performance but with an ageing list this might be their last chance to win it for a while.
3). Hawthorn - Like Sydney, Hawthorn has been a consistently top side for many years and it wouldn't surprise me if they won the Grand Final again if they were to make it again but I suspect after that their window is over! They'r an ageing team but good enough to win it again though.
4). Gold Coast - A team on the rise and was excellent until about round 16 when they lost Ablett and everything fell apart for them. Like most seasons, there's always a surprise packet and I think the Suns might shoot up the ladder unexpectedly.
5). Geelong - It's amazing how long they've been able to stay up without going down despite the inevitable decline they'll go through. I think they've topped up well enough to compete well for the short-term but with more retirements to come soon how much longer can they stay up for beyond 2015?
6). North Melbourne - A solid team with a lot of experience but still overrated in my book in terms of being able to win a Premiership. Their recruitment is a true indication that they're going for the Premiership but I still think they won't come close to winning it. I think their future is bleak after many retirements occur and players get older. They have one of the oldest lists in the league.
7). Adelaide - With a new coach and more consistency the Crows could sneak a spot in the eight but like us they're a hard team to predict in terms of ladder position. I think they'll make it but make up the numbers in September.
8. Fremantle - A team on the decline under Ross Lyon and with very few youngsters coming through the ranks and old players like Pavlich, Sandilands and McPharlin all on the verge of retirement their decline could be dramatic beyond 2015.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9). Richmond - Just for the laughs I'll put them in 9th spot again. Richmond's midfield is decent but I still think they're flat-track bullies who have big holes in key position areas. Their fans reckon they're top 4 but I don't see it though.
10). Collingwood - I think it's another year of development for us and I expect to be very inconsistent this year. Our future is very bright and I love the way we're managing our list after many departures of good players in the last few years but hopefully we see further development of our youngsters, less injuries and a promising sign on the game plan that the future is bright. We'll be competing for a top 8 spot and could sneak a place in there if all goes our way on the injury front and we gather momentum at the right time of the year.
11). Brisbane - With the inclusions of Beams and Christiansen and the promising development of their young players I can see them improving but they're still not good enough to play finals this year though.
12). West Coast - They are the king of flat-track bullies and severely overrated by many! An ordinary midfield with decent key position players but that's about it for them.
13). Essendon - A side that has just been topping up and have no real foresight on the future despite the recruitment of two promising youngsters in the draft in Kyle Langford and Jayden Laverde. I think they're overrated and if ASADA sanctions hit them hard I think they're in massive trouble!
14). Melbourne - A side that I think will improve slightly under Roos but they're still a long way off from playing finals though. Might expect an extra 2 or 3 wins this year on top of the wins they had last year.
15). GWS - A team that will improve slightly but probably won't have a big rise up the ladder until 2016. I would expect them to be competing harder in games this year.
16). Western Bulldogs - A team that has lost their captain and coach in one off-season is bound to have serious problems in the immediate future. They have plenty of promising youngsters coming through but they're too raw to have an immediate impact at the moment. Expect to see them improve around 2016/2017.
17). Carlton - A team that is in need of a serious rebuild but still haven't properly embraced it. Expect Mick to be gone this year!
18. St.Kilda - The worst team in the competition and will be wooden spooners again but I think they're ahead in development than Carlton is amazingly and being able to find top draftees to lead them into the future!

Good summary.

I have doubts about Adelaide and Freo, think they both lack depth. If they can keep their best on the pitch they'll be competitive but I think they'll still struggle to make the 8.

Think the Doggies will start to assert themselves. Lost Griffen and Cooney but I think their kids will start to shine. Not expecting Boyd to have an immediate impact but he'll still take a good opponent.

St Kilda will start to see the benefit of a couple of really good years at the ND & trade tables. May need 1 more development year but could equally start to climb.

Carlton traded very well, it will be interesting to see if it's enough to make them more competitive.

Overall, I think the 2015 season will be a lot closer than any we've seen before. There will be a lot more upsets and teams will lament a missed opportunity here or there costing them finals opportunities.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:52 am

Jezza wrote:
This is my ladder prediction! Just my opinion so don't take it to heart if you disagree with it.

1). Port Adelaide - A side that is ready to hit its peak and is at the right age to dominate for a few years now. They've got experience of tough finals matches behind them and if they don't have any fadeouts during the season I'm convinced they can win it this year.
2). Sydney - Sydney will be back with vengeance after a deplorable Grand Final performance but with an ageing list this might be their last chance to win it for a while.
3). Hawthorn - Like Sydney, Hawthorn has been a consistently top side for many years and it wouldn't surprise me if they won the Grand Final again if they were to make it again but I suspect after that their window is over! They'r an ageing team but good enough to win it again though.
4). Gold Coast - A team on the rise and was excellent until about round 16 when they lost Ablett and everything fell apart for them. Like most seasons, there's always a surprise packet and I think the Suns might shoot up the ladder unexpectedly.
5). Geelong - It's amazing how long they've been able to stay up without going down despite the inevitable decline they'll go through. I think they've topped up well enough to compete well for the short-term but with more retirements to come soon how much longer can they stay up for beyond 2015?
6). North Melbourne - A solid team with a lot of experience but still overrated in my book in terms of being able to win a Premiership. Their recruitment is a true indication that they're going for the Premiership but I still think they won't come close to winning it. I think their future is bleak after many retirements occur and players get older. They have one of the oldest lists in the league.
7). Adelaide - With a new coach and more consistency the Crows could sneak a spot in the eight but like us they're a hard team to predict in terms of ladder position. I think they'll make it but make up the numbers in September.
8. Fremantle - A team on the decline under Ross Lyon and with very few youngsters coming through the ranks and old players like Pavlich, Sandilands and McPharlin all on the verge of retirement their decline could be dramatic beyond 2015.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9). Richmond - Just for the laughs I'll put them in 9th spot again. Richmond's midfield is decent but I still think they're flat-track bullies who have big holes in key position areas. Their fans reckon they're top 4 but I don't see it though.
10). Collingwood - I think it's another year of development for us and I expect to be very inconsistent this year. Our future is very bright and I love the way we're managing our list after many departures of good players in the last few years but hopefully we see further development of our youngsters, less injuries and a promising sign on the game plan that the future is bright. We'll be competing for a top 8 spot and could sneak a place in there if all goes our way on the injury front and we gather momentum at the right time of the year.
11). Brisbane - With the inclusions of Beams and Christiansen and the promising development of their young players I can see them improving but they're still not good enough to play finals this year though.
12). West Coast - They are the king of flat-track bullies and severely overrated by many! An ordinary midfield with decent key position players but that's about it for them.
13). Essendon - A side that has just been topping up and have no real foresight on the future despite the recruitment of two promising youngsters in the draft in Kyle Langford and Jayden Laverde. I think they're overrated and if ASADA sanctions hit them hard I think they're in massive trouble!
14). Melbourne - A side that I think will improve slightly under Roos but they're still a long way off from playing finals though. Might expect an extra 2 or 3 wins this year on top of the wins they had last year.
15). GWS - A team that will improve slightly but probably won't have a big rise up the ladder until 2016. I would expect them to be competing harder in games this year.
16). Western Bulldogs - A team that has lost their captain and coach in one off-season is bound to have serious problems in the immediate future. They have plenty of promising youngsters coming through but they're too raw to have an immediate impact at the moment. Expect to see them improve around 2016/2017.
17). Carlton - A team that is in need of a serious rebuild but still haven't properly embraced it. Expect Mick to be gone this year!
18. St.Kilda - The worst team in the competition and will be wooden spooners again but I think they're ahead in development than Carlton is amazingly and being able to find top draftees to lead them into the future!

In almost total agreement, however I think the scum will end up higher than 17 unfortunately. Crying or Very sad Richmond will make the 8 in place of Adelaide.

As for Collingwood, I think this will be a settling down and learning year for the younger magpies who will be our stars of the future (2017 onwards). I think Buck's is definitely on the right track and hopefully will keep his job even if the pies realistically don’t make the finals but show enough potential to develop into a top team in the following years.

Now this is the REALLY difficult part, asking posters at Nick's to be patient this year!! Shocked Some unrealistic idiot will want the 'pies to win the flag in 2015 and anything less will lead to a revolution.

If this happens, Collingwood will only slide further down the ladder in the famous more haste, less speed manner of speaking. Long term success with almost anything requires time and patience. Planning for instant success will only set you up for years of failure to achieve that success. Rolling Eyes

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:02 am

Defender wrote:
I'll be disappointed if we miss the 8.

Well I think you should get a few boxes of tissues ready then dude!

We will have a "GOOD" developmental/settling down/transformation year but won’t make the eight. I say realistically somewhere between 10 - 12th.
I can’t see how you can be disappointed if the club clearly shows that it is heading in the right direction with a young talented team gaining great experience all the time to achieve ultimate success in the future years. PATIENCE is what everyone here needs.

I highly doubt that if some posters here are made of the real stuff inside to be patient though.... Rolling Eyes

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:09 pm

Lazza wrote:
Defender wrote:

We will have a "GOOD" developmental/settling down/transformation year but won’t make the eight. I say realistically somewhere between 10 - 12th.
I can’t see how you can be disappointed if the club clearly shows that it is heading in the right direction with a young talented team gaining great experience all the time to achieve ultimate success in the future years. PATIENCE is what everyone here needs.

I highly doubt that if some posters here are made of the real stuff inside to be patient though.... Rolling Eyes

We missed the 8 by a game or so last year, a year where injuries weren't kind, our draw is easier this year.

Why won't we improve this year?

What has changed from last year to now?

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Defender wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Defender wrote:

We missed the 8 by a game or so last year, a year where injuries weren't kind, our draw is easier this year.

Sheeesh Laz, Defender showing you up, and even worse, I agree with him Shocked Embarassed

Yes, I know we've lost Maxwell, Lumumba, Ball, Clarke, Beams, Lynch, Hudson, Mooney and Yagmoor but Beams & H are the only 2 to play the majority of 2014.

To balance that Reid, Freeman, Brown, Karnezis, and Oxley should have a more significant impact in 2015 (yes I know there are ??s about Reid). Then there are the Seedsman, Fasolo, Sinclair, Kennedy, Thomas, Swan and Toovey's who had injury interupted season who should also improve.

Why your pessimism?
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:35 pm

Defender wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Defender wrote:

I totally respect your opinion Defender. You make very good points and on the surface it seems bloody idiotic to disagree with you. However, my humble opinion is based on us having had an exodus of vast experience and talent and simultaneously having had an influx of amazing potential and highly skilled young players. This season is a testing ground for future efforts and successful achievements, not a season where we are an already well organised and highly experienced team destined to make the finals as a royal right.

I just have this gut feeling that this 2015 team MUST be given a chance to gel together as a great team moving forward with high confidence, tremendous ability and plucky resolve. This type of transformation, which requires learning the game plan and adapting to team rules, tactics and new tricks takes time. It is not something that can happen overnight in an instant coffee type of solution. It takes practice, rehearsals and application over a period of time during a season.

Therefore my earnest belief is that the team will definitely develop in season 2015 but have a few setbacks, hiccups and let downs on the way as they learn. This might mean losing games they were favoured/expected to win or lose by heavy margins in games they were expected to just lose.

Look if I’m wrong, so be it, this post can be retrieved to embarrass me at the end of the season. However, my opinion based on the above is that we will improve as a young team but fall short of the finals.

Que sera sera………………………… Cool

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:45 pm

jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Defender wrote:

Sheeesh Laz, Defender showing you up, and even worse, I agree with him Shocked Embarassed

Yes, I know we've lost Maxwell, Lumumba, Ball, Clarke, Beams, Lynch, Hudson, Mooney and Yagmoor but Beams & H are the only 2 to play the majority of 2014.

To balance that Reid, Freeman, Brown, Karnezis, and Oxley should have a more significant impact in 2015 (yes I know there are ??s about Reid). Then there are the Seedsman, Fasolo, Sinclair, Kennedy, Thomas, Swan and Toovey's who had injury interupted season who should also improve.

Why your pessimism?

It is not misplaced optimism or pessimism Daz, just being realistic according to MY reality! I have said this type of stuff many times before on Nicks - to have unrealistic expectations is to set oneself up for failure. I think 2015 will see great strides being made by our young team, gaining experience and skills along the way. However I think there are at least 8 other teams ahead of us at the present time, further up the development track or at the very summit. In my mind, we are currently at about 10 - 12 on the development track but will gain ground rapidly post 2016.

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:48 pm

jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Defender wrote:

Why your pessimism?

Lets use some numbers to determine where we sit in compared to last year.

From last year - the positive stats.

Rank 2nd in league for tackles.
Rank 5th in least opponent hit outs.

The negative stats.

Ranked 12th in kicks per game
Ranked 15th in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 14th in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 14th in Marks Per Game
Ranked 15th in Points Per Game
Ranked 17th in Hitouts Per Game
Ranked 15th in least Opponent Kicks Per Game
Ranked 17th in least Opponent Handballs Per Game
Ranked 17th in least Opponent Disposals Per Game
Ranked 17th in least Opponent Marks Per Game
Ranked 14th in Team to Opponent Kicks Per Game Diff.
Ranked 17th in Team to Opponent Handballs Per Game Diff.
Ranked 17th in Team to Opponent Disposals Per Game Diff.
Ranked 15th in Team to Opponent Marks Per Game Diff.
Ranked 12th in Team to Opponent Hitouts Per Game Diff.

This confirms my points last year about allowing too much uncontested footy last year. The ball was in the oppositions hands far too much.

Players we lose

Nick Maxwell - 208 games experience - Former skipper & backline general.
Luke Ball - 223 games experience - Granted probably done & dusted but tough as nails.
Dayne Beams - 110 games experience - Copeland winner & prolific ball winner (GUN)
Heritier Lumuba - 199 games experience - played a vital link up role

No need to mention Lynch, Clark etc because they weren't senior selected players most weeks.

That is 740 games of experience in those 4 players alone.

Players we gain

Levi Greenwood - 74 games - hopefully will be a good pick up
Travis Varcoe -138 games - Perhaps a Lumumba replacement with more pace?
Jack Crisp - 18 games - We aren't sure he will be best 22 yet.

These 3 guys come with similar hype to Young & Jessie White. They haven't exactly killed it thus far.

Da Goey, Moore, Scharenberg, Freeman, Marsh, Maynard, Goodyear, Manteit, Abbott all may have plenty of ability but they have not played a single game of AFL football yet. They will need time to develop. 2015 is not the year they will be peaking that's for sure.

I think our list has lots of promise but I'm not sure we should expect too much in 2015.
I think 2016 or 2017 is when our list will mature a little. I'll of course be watching with great interest but if we play finals in 2015 it will be a tremendous effort from all concerned. Doesn't mean I can't wait for the season to begin. The youth at the club is exciting to watch develop.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:01 pm

Lazza wrote:
Defender wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Defender wrote:

I totally respect your opinion Defender. You make very good points and on the surface it seems bloody idiotic to disagree with you. However, my humble opinion is based on us having had an exodus of vast experience and talent and simultaneously having had an influx of amazing potential and highly skilled young players. This season is a testing ground for future efforts and successful achievements, not a season where we are an already well organised and highly experienced team destined to make the finals as a royal right.

I just have this gut feeling that this 2015 team MUST be given a chance to gel together as a great team moving forward with high confidence, tremendous ability and plucky resolve. This type of transformation, which requires learning the game plan and adapting to team rules, tactics and new tricks takes time. It is not something that can happen overnight in an instant coffee type of solution. It takes practice, rehearsals and application over a period of time during a season.

Therefore my earnest belief is that the team will definitely develop in season 2015 but have a few setbacks, hiccups and let downs on the way as they learn. This might mean losing games they were favoured/expected to win or lose by heavy margins in games they were expected to just lose.

Look if I’m wrong, so be it, this post can be retrieved to embarrass me at the end of the season. However, my opinion based on the above is that we will improve as a young team but fall short of the finals.

Que sera sera………………………… Cool

Still didn't answer my question, why are we worse off now compared to last year?

We lost Beams and Harry but we've replaced them with experienced players, our younger guys who were up and about during the first half of last season should be better this year, and hopfully the injury curse is behind us.

We also have 3 top ten picks who haven't played a game yet, all going well Freeman and Degoey will have an impact this year, our young rucks should be improved as well.

IMO if swan is over his niggles and Reid can get back on the park there's no reason we can't push for top 6 and I don't think a top 4 birth is completely out of the question 'if' things go our way and the army gets on board, missing finals will be a fail IMO.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:33 pm

woftam wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Defender wrote:

Why your pessimism?

Lets use some numbers to determine where we sit in compared to last year.

From last year - the positive stats.

Rank 2nd in league for tackles.
Rank 5th in least opponent hit outs.

The negative stats.

Ranked 12th in kicks per game
Ranked 15th in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 14th in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 14th in Marks Per Game
Ranked 15th in Points Per Game
Ranked 17th in Hitouts Per Game
Ranked 15th in least Opponent Kicks Per Game
Ranked 17th in least Opponent Handballs Per Game
Ranked 17th in least Opponent Disposals Per Game
Ranked 17th in least Opponent Marks Per Game
Ranked 14th in Team to Opponent Kicks Per Game Diff.
Ranked 17th in Team to Opponent Handballs Per Game Diff.
Ranked 17th in Team to Opponent Disposals Per Game Diff.
Ranked 15th in Team to Opponent Marks Per Game Diff.
Ranked 12th in Team to Opponent Hitouts Per Game Diff.

This confirms my points last year about allowing too much uncontested footy last year. The ball was in the oppositions hands far too much.

Players we lose

Nick Maxwell - 208 games experience - Former skipper & backline general.
Luke Ball - 223 games experience - Granted probably done & dusted but tough as nails.
Dayne Beams - 110 games experience - Copeland winner & prolific ball winner (GUN)
Heritier Lumuba - 199 games experience - played a vital link up role

No need to mention Lynch, Clark etc because they weren't senior selected players most weeks.

That is 740 games of experience in those 4 players alone.

Players we gain

Levi Greenwood - 74 games - hopefully will be a good pick up
Travis Varcoe -138 games - Perhaps a Lumumba replacement with more pace?
Jack Crisp - 18 games - We aren't sure he will be best 22 yet.

These 3 guys come with similar hype to Young & Jessie White. They haven't exactly killed it thus far.

Da Goey, Moore, Scharenberg, Freeman, Marsh, Maynard, Goodyear, Manteit, Abbott all may have plenty of ability but they have not played a single game of AFL football yet. They will need time to develop. 2015 is not the year they will be peaking that's for sure.

I think our list has lots of promise but I'm not sure we should expect too much in 2015.
I think 2016 or 2017 is when our list will mature a little. I'll of course be watching with great interest but if we play finals in 2015 it will be a tremendous effort from all concerned. Doesn't mean I can't wait for the season to begin. The youth at the club is exciting to watch develop.

I don't think we're a flag chance, IMO the Whorks/ Poort and the Swans are miles ahead of the rest and IMO the rest just ain't that good, with a bit of luck and the odd player having a breakout year we can easily make the 8, could even push for 4th.

You like this.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:45 pm

Lazza wrote:
Defender wrote:

Agree with you 100%

Woftam points out some concerning stats that outweigh injuries and point to problems with how we are playing football. I think we have 2 years of learning and mastering a new style of football before we are anywhere near competitive. Another 2-3 years of consolidation / development and then maybe a flag in 2019 or 2020.

I don't think people really appreciate our bad or football game plan is at the moment.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:54 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Defender wrote:

Agree with you 100%

Woftam points out some concerning stats that outweigh injuries and point to problems with how we are playing football. I think we have 2 years of learning and mastering a new style of football before we are anywhere near competitive. Another 2-3 years of consolidation / development and then maybe a flag in 2019 or 2020.

I don't think people really appreciate our bad or football game plan is at the moment.

Last years stats actually strengthen my argument IMO as we finished a game outside the 8 in spite of those stats, IMO last year (stats wise) was rock bottom, and we've recruited accordingly with an emphasis on foot skills in particular.

You like this.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:08 pm

Defender wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Defender wrote:

Agree with you 100%

Last years stats actually strengthen my argument IMO as we finished a game outside the 8 in spite of those stats, IMO last year (stats wise) was rock bottom, and we've recruited accordingly with an emphasis on foot skills in particular.

Yup. I'm not sure what surprises me more, you being so positive, or me agreeing with you!

But yes yes bloody YESSSSSS!

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:13 pm

Defender wrote:

We were lucky to finish that high. Our style of footy is probably worthy of a 10-14 position, but we did have some amazing players who helped us win games in spite of the way we play.

However, we have fewer of those amazing players (Beams / Maxy) so I expect us to struggle until we develop and then perfect a new style of competitive football.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:50 pm

think positive wrote:
Defender wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Defender wrote:

Agree with you 100%

Yup. I'm not sure what surprises me more, you being so positive, or me agreeing with you!

But yes yes bloody YESSSSSS!

I'm just laying the foundation for my launch pad if things go awry, Buckley doesn't get a pass if we miss the 8 IMO.

You like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: