Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

legalise medicinal cannabis

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should canabis be lagalised?
Yes, for medicinal purposes only
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
Yes, for medicinal & recreational use
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
No.
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy for people to grow their own tobacco or otherwise, provided they can't use the public health system when they inevitably get cancer.

The same should apply to alcohol.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:14 am

What'sinaname wrote:
I am happy for people to grow their own tobacco or otherwise, provided they can't use the public health system when they inevitably get cancer.

We wouldn't need many doctors or hospitals then....

Prevalence of Drinking: In 2012, 87.6 percent of people ages 18 or older reported that they drank alcohol at some point in their lifetime; 71 percent reported that they drank in the past year; 56.3 percent reported that they drank in the past month.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:36 pm

Skids wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

We wouldn't need many doctors or hospitals then....

Prevalence of Drinking: In 2012, 87.6 percent of people ages 18 or older reported that they drank alcohol at some point in their lifetime; 71 percent reported that they drank in the past year; 56.3 percent reported that they drank in the past month.

you'd need hospitals but would fund your own healthcare. If people realised how expensive it is, they'd probably stop drinking / smoking.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:35 pm

What'sinaname wrote:

you'd need hospitals but would fund your own healthcare. If people realised how expensive it is, they'd probably stop drinking / smoking.

How much more funding should I, as a drinker, have to pay?

Do you have a formula?

My 2014 Tax assessment tells me I contributed: $12,485 to health, my medicare levy was $3755.63 and on top of that my Private health care payments were $3368.14. Total = $19,608.77 add to this my wifes: medicare levy of $540.49 and payment to health of $523 and we easily smash the $20k mark.
Any time I (my wife or 3 daughters) go to the doc (don't do bulk bill pakis) I have to fork out $40+. I pay full price for my and all my families prescribed medications too.

Just how much more should I pay for the privilege of having a few beers under your scheme? (god forbid the few days a month where I endulge in the evil weed)

Are we counting the taxes on alcohol too?
Does it count if you look after yourself? You know, eat well, exercise regularly and keep in shape?

I'm intrigued Shocked

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:22 pm

Smokers pay more in taxes than gets spent on their health care, I would assume alcohol taxes are the same.

Now if you make your own you're not paying taxes, but all the other smokers/drinkers more than pay for you anyway. Having the government decide who does and does not get health care based on their lifestyle decisions is so pants on head retarded and terrifying I don't even want to think about it.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:55 pm

Nope. If you've got two guys waiting for a heart transplant, and there is only one, it goes to the non smoker, non drinker, with his weight in check. Not fair? Ah well that's life, and it's called personal responsibility, and calculated risk.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:02 am

Wokko wrote:
Having the government decide who does and does not get health care based on their lifestyle decisions is so pants on head retarded and terrifying I don't even want to think about it.

Completely agree. To even try to make such a binary distinction between the 'deserving' and 'undeserving' ill is as unscientific as it is ethically bankrupt.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:38 pm

think positive wrote:
Nope. If you've got two guys waiting for a heart transplant, and there is only one, it goes to the non smoker, non drinker, with his weight in check. Not fair? Ah well that's life, and it's called personal responsibility, and calculated risk.

I was actually going to bring that up but it's not quite the same. That's a medical decision based on odds and risk made by the hospital. An alcoholic drinker for example is probably going to just ruin the next liver they get given too, so it makes sense to give it to the non-alcoholic. If there were livers everywhere to go around (animal or lab grown organs in the future) then it wouldn't be an issue.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:43 pm

That is only a hypothetical.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:05 pm

Slowly but surely....

A medical marijuana company is preparing to join the share market as debate over legalisation fires up.

https://onlineinvesting.westpac.com.au/Private/MarketPrices/QuoteSearch/QuoteSearch.aspx?stockCode=PYL

Perth-based Phytotech Medical will target regulated medical cannabis markets in the US, Canada, Israel and Europe, and hopes to introduce products to Australia and New Zealand if laws permitting marijuana's use are introduced.

https://onlineinvesting.westpac.com.au/Private/MarketPrices/QuoteSearch/QuoteSearch.aspx?stockCode=PYL

Check out the directors .... Dr Benad Goldwasser appointed just days ago has a pretty impressive CV!

Colorado is proof...

Yet in Colorado, crime rates have dropped sharply since the state passed legalization on January 1.

According to Denver’s Department of Safety Public Information Standards, the Denver city- and county-wide murder rate is down 42.1% in 2014 compared to the same period last year.

Meanwhile, all violent crime has seen a nearly 2% drop across the state, and major crimes have fallen by 11.5% compared to the same period last year.

http://www.wallstreetdaily.com/2014/07/11/colorado-marijuana-legalization/

It's time.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:19 pm

Hopefully they ain't all stoned and lost, fallen down Rocky Mountain high!

I'm all for it though, it should be available for medical use. And you should be able to buy hemp seed products, and not just for animals, good fats, high protein

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:54 pm

Wokko wrote:
Smokers pay more in taxes than gets spent on their health care, I would assume alcohol taxes are the same.

Possibly. But I'll bet you Sydney to a brick that the (modest) tax take on alcohol doesn't go within paying for one tenth of the massive social cost of it in policing, courts, murders, fights, marriage breakups, child abuse, road deaths, and so on. Compared to all that, the medical costs are trivial.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:13 pm

think positive wrote:
And you should be able to buy hemp seed products, and not just for animals, good fats, high protein

I know a bloke who feeds the seeds to his racing pigeons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

Approximately 44% of the weight of hemp seed is edible oils, containing about 80% essential fatty acids (EFAs); e.g., linoleic acid, omega-6 (LA, 55%), alpha-linolenic acid, omega-3 (ALA, 22%), in addition to gamma-linolenic acid, omega-6 (GLA, 1–4%) and stearidonic acid, omega-3 (SDA, 0–2%). Proteins (including edestin) are the other major component (33%). Hempseed's amino acid profile is comparable to other sources of protein such as meat, milk, eggs and soy.[9]

Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score values, which measure the degree to which a food for humans is a "complete protein", were 0.49-0.53 for whole hemp seed, 0.46-0.51 for hemp seed meal, and 0.63-0.66 for dehulled hemp seed.[10] Hemp proteins thus have a PDCAAS equal to or greater than certain grains, nuts, and some legumes. Soy protein, by comparison, has a PDCAAS value of 1.0.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Tannin wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Possibly. But I'll bet you Sydney to a brick that the (modest) tax take on alcohol doesn't go within paying for one tenth of the massive social cost of it in policing, courts, murders, fights, marriage breakups, child abuse, road deaths, and so on. Compared to all that, the medical costs are trivial.

I'd go as far to say it would be 1%.

› Nationally, police use one quarter of their budgets responding to alcohol-related incidents.6
› In 2004-05, the social cost of alcohol-related violence (excluding costs to the criminal justice system) was estimated at $187 million.13 This would equate to $234 million in 2012.14
› In 2005, alcohol-related assault costs across Australia were estimated to be $117million.3 This would equate to $142 million in 2012.14
› Domestic violence involving alcohol was conservatively estimated to cost $46.4 million in 2005.3 This would equate to $56.5 million in 2012.14

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:31 pm

think positive wrote:
. And you should be able to buy hemp seed products, and not just for animals, good fats, high protein

Kingsbury Sunday market (coff)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8   

Jump to: