Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

legalise medicinal cannabis

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should canabis be lagalised?
Yes, for medicinal purposes only
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
Yes, for medicinal & recreational use
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
No.
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pain relief for cancer patients, and apparently the oil is good for (can't remember what it was but it's a horrible kids disease - siezures, yep that was it, cheers) that's good enough reason. As for the type that gets you high, I'm not for decriminalising it. Maybe if it's regulated like alcohol, but anything stronger, Nup

Last edited by think positive on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Mugwump wrote:
" Medical use" is a strange term - clearly we use heroin, aka morphine, for medical use.

No we do not use heroin for medical use and have not done so for a very very long time. Whilst both are opiates and are of similar molecular structure heroin or diamorphine is far more potent than morphine and is classified as an illegal drug under most countries (that I know of at least including Aus, UK and USA) Schedules.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:55 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
" Medical use" is a strange term - clearly we use heroin, aka morphine, for medical use.

No we do not use heroin for medical use and have not done so for a very very long time. Whilst both are opiates and are of similar molecular structure heroin or diamorphine is far more potent than morphine and is classified as an illegal drug under most countries (that I know of at least including Aus, UK and USA) Schedules.

Thanks Morrigu, it was a slightly lazy equivalence on my part, but my point is still that we are rightly content to use more powerful and dangerous drugs than cannabis for regulated medical use where they are the best option available. Thus, doing so for cannabis would hardly be news. Something else is presumably being hinted at here.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:55 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

isn't heroin derived from the same source as morphine, just cooked differently?

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:16 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Thanks Morrigu, it was a slightly lazy equivalence on my part, but my point is still that we are rightly content to use more powerful and dangerous drugs than cannabis for regulated medical use where they are the best option available. Thus, doing so for cannabis would hardly be news. Something else is presumably being hinted at here.

Regulated medical use of cannabis that is manufactured within strictly regulated requirements is a no brainer for me - there is some strong evidence for effectiveness in control of seizures especially in the paediatric population and for the mitigation of anorexia in patients undergoing chemotherapy.

When considering complete decriminalisation of cannabis however there are other factors to be taken into account - THC content and if you are comparing to drugs such as heroin or morphine the half life must be considered - cumulative effect is particularly relevant.

Edit: Oh and and a colleague currently working in the UK says diamorphine is still able to be prescribed in the UK mainly for palliative - good if true - it has better effect than other opiates!!

Last edited by Morrigu on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

isn't heroin derived from the same source as morphine, just cooked differently?

Yes both from the poppy - heroin becomes heroin from the addition of acetyl molecules which makes it more lipid-soluble - means it can cross the blood-brain barrier a lot easier!

Mum in her days as a nurse used to give it for pain - she said it was far superior to morphine or pethidine by far!!!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:34 am

Whilst everyone says no the black market says thank you and applauds. There is no black market once it's legal as there is no money in it. Oh yes but it's illegal that stops people using it. Laughing Laughing Head in the sand. If we lock people up they won't be able to use it. Um OK if you believe that. Best build bigger prisons as ignorance is bliss. If people want to get off their tree they will. No one is attempting to fix the issue into why people wish to be out of it. We closed all mental facilities to save dollars and that's worked well. Making it illegal doesn't work and it hasn't for the passed 4 decades (The time I have been aware of the availability of narcotics).
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:00 am

Culprit wrote:
Whilst everyone says no the black market says thank you and applauds. There is no black market once it's legal as there is no money in it. Oh yes but it's illegal that stops people using it. Laughing Laughing Head in the sand. If we lock people up they won't be able to use it. Um OK if you believe that. Best build bigger prisons as ignorance is bliss. If people want to get off their tree they will. No one is attempting to fix the issue into why people wish to be out of it. We closed all mental facilities to save dollars and that's worked well. Making it illegal doesn't work and it hasn't for the passed 4 decades (The time I have been aware of the availability of narcotics).

Exactly.

I enjoy the occasional choof, have done for the last 35 years. It's never an issue to get hold of.
The government is missing out on millions of dollars every year.

Alcohol is by far a more damaging drug to society. I think I've stated before, over 80% of calls police respond to are alcohol related crime.Yet this stuff is readily promoted with glitzy advertising.... go figure.

Colorado marijuana sales: $1 billion in first 10 months of 2016It's possible 2016 pot tax totals will surpass taxes from 2014, 2015 combined.

Depending on November and Decembers forthcoming pot tax totals, that scenario is possible. Not accounting for licensing fees imposed on cannabis businesses, $63.4 million in marijuana taxes were collected by the state in 2014 along with another $120.6 million in 2015. Since 2016 taxes through October sit at $151.4 million, each of the years final two months would have to top $16.3 million apiece to best the two previous years totals combined.

www.thecannabist.co/2016/12/12/colorado-marijuana-sales-1-billion-first-10-months-2016/69189/

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:10 am

More jobs too, in a state with only just over 5.5 million people Shocked

Colorados burgeoning legal marijuana industry has quickly made gains on the states largest industries including the mighty oil-and-gas sector and contributed an economic impact of $2.39 billion in 2015, according to research released Tuesday.

Report: Colorado weed is now a behemoth with a $2.4 billion economic impactMarijuana Policy Group's report says legal cannabis funds 18,000 full-time jobs.

www.thecannabist.co/2016/10/26/colorado-marijuana-economic-impact-billion-2015/66105/

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:23 pm

Skids wrote:

Colorados burgeoning legal marijuana industry has quickly made gains on the states largest industries including the mighty oil-and-gas sector and contributed an economic impact of $2.39 billion in 2015, according to research released Tuesday.

Report: Colorado weed is now a behemoth with a $2.4 billion economic impactMarijuana Policy Group's report says legal cannabis funds 18,000 full-time jobs.

www.thecannabist.co/2016/10/26/colorado-marijuana-economic-impact-billion-2015/66105/

and its a very laid back place too!!!!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Skids wrote:

if they weren't all stoned they'd only need 6,000 of them. Razz Wink

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:37 am

Morrigu wrote:
Regulated medical use of cannabis that is manufactured within strictly regulated requirements is a no brainer for me - there is some strong evidence for effectiveness in control of seizures especially in the paediatric population and for the mitigation of anorexia in patients undergoing chemotherapy.

No reason to object to that - we use all kind of powerful drugs under medically controlled conditions for the alleviation of pain, etc. If THC tablets or whatever fit into that spectrum then fine.

Aside from real medical use under carefully controlled conditions, it is a curious idea that the government should licence and profit from a drug which is taken solely for the purpose of stupefaction and apathy, and which has a well-documented relationship to increased psychosis risk, motor accidents and memory loss etc. When the history books are written, decriminalisation of dope will be another little chapter in the interesting paradoxical story of how a free people marched into debility and subjugation while proudly waving the banner of their freedom. From Anzacs to Prozacs, that was us.

Aldous Huxley dealt with this with remarkable prescience. Line up for your Soma, people. It's good for taxes and jobs, it's good for you .... and it's good for us.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:52 am

I believe alcohol & tobacco are far worse than gunja!

The myth that everyone who enjoys a joint is some sort of spaced out hippy is quite dumbfounding.

The report found alcohol caused 5,554 deaths and 157,132 hospitalisations in 2010

Australias daily alcohol toll: 15 deaths and 430 hospitalisationsI

http://theconversation.com/australias-daily-alcohol-toll-15-deaths-and-430-hospitalisations-29906

Smoking-related diseases killed 14,900 Australians in the financial year 200405. This equals 40 preventable deaths every day. The major tobacco-related diseases include cancer, heart disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Smoking resulted in over 750,000 days spent in hospital and cost $670 million in hospital costs in the financial year 200405

www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/smoking-statistics

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:27 pm

^ skids, I agree with you about alcohol, and if it were not legal and deeply embedded in our culture I would not be in favor of legalizing it, knowing what we know about its damage - which you have rightly described. The impossibility of prohibition once a drug has taken hold shows you that we should be very careful about legitimizing things.

Dope may be a less anti-social drug than alcohol, though till it is widely used we probably will not know. We do know that it has some very damaging effects on some people, and that these multiply greatly with frequency of use.

My view is that all mind altering drugs carry risks to users and to others, and the more they are available, the more they will be used, and the stronger the strains that will be bred . The more they are used, the more stupefied and docile and apathetic and damaged many people will become. I do not see why anyone would want to license another mind altering drug, knowing what we know about the things that are already legal.

I get that it may work for you, but how it affects blokes like Skids with a good job and a reasonable grip on life is not a basis for policy.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:39 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ skids, I agree with you about alcohol, and if it were not legal and deeply embedded in our culture I would not be in favor of legalizing it, knowing what we know about its damage - which you have rightly described. The impossibility of prohibition once a drug has taken hold shows you that we should be very careful about legitimizing things.

Dope may be a less anti-social drug than alcohol, though till it is widely used we probably will not know. We do know that it has some very damaging effects on some people, and that these multiply greatly with frequency of use.

My view is that all mind altering drugs carry risks to users and to others, and the more they are available, the more they will be used, and the stronger the strains that will be bred . The more they are used, the more stupefied and docile and apathetic and damaged many people will become. I do not see why anyone would want to license another mind altering drug, knowing what we know about the things that are already legal.

I get that it may work for you, but how it affects blokes like Skids with a good job and a reasonable grip on life is not a basis for policy.

yep thats my take on it 100%

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8   

Jump to: