Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Barrow Island: Protected from Australians...by Chevron

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:06 am
Post subject: Barrow Island: Protected from Australians...by ChevronReply with quote

Someone like the Tannic One is likely to know if this is for good or evil or somewhere between:

News.com.au wrote:
IT’S been called “Australia’s Ark”, our own Galapagos, with 24 native species found nowhere else on earth. The animals are 10 per cent larger than mainland creatures, because they’re not scrawny from running for their lives.

They’re friendly, having never known predation from cats, foxes or dingoes, let alone hungry Aboriginal or white hunters.

Barrow Island, 100km off WA’s Pilbara coast, has since 1910 been listed as an A-Class reserve, among the most protected type of land anywhere. It is also home to Australia’s largest gas project, Gorgon, being built by American company Chevron.

“But for ordinary people, Barrow is a place where you can see what Australia was like before the coming of white men,” says Butler in a 2011 Chevron promo, that shows turtles and mud crabs but nothing of the giant LNG gas facility and port now approaching completion.

The problem is that no ordinary Australian can visit the American-controlled island.

Twice in the last 11 months, Chevron has denied requests from News Corp Australia to visit Barrow, to see first-hand the miracle of nature coexisting with big industry.

WA’s Department of Parks and Wildlife — who supposedly control the A-Class reserve, that is, more than 95 per cent of the 234sq km island — cannot help. They say any arrangements must be made with Chevron.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/australian-holidays/the-island-where-nature-and-big-industry-coexist-but-youre-not-allowed-to-see-it/story-e6frfq9r-1227357023814

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Barrow+Island,+Western+Australia

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked there in 1986. What an unbelievable place, there were none of todays restrictions in place then. We used to have half a day off on Sunday. Some of the best waves I've ever surfed, it was like surfing in an aquarium, fish, turtles Rays, dolphins, sharks & more fish.
We were having a game of beach cricket one day when one of the boys yelled out to us. Amongst the rocky shore he'd found a sandy bottomed 'pool'. We grabbed our esky and sat in there cracking oysters off the rocks and washing them down with cold Emu Export.
Possums would come and steal your chips while you watched a movie at the outdoor cinema and you'd find them in the bins, drunk in the mornings from sucking the dregs out of the empty beer cans.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:04 am

^Wow, Skids, very cool. You would be in rare company having had that opportunity, by the sounds.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:29 am

Skids wrote:
I worked there in 1986. What an unbelievable place, there were none of todays restrictions in place then. We used to have half a day off on Sunday. Some of the best waves I've ever surfed, it was like surfing in an aquarium, fish, turtles Rays, dolphins, sharks & more fish.
We were having a game of beach cricket one day when one of the boys yelled out to us. Amongst the rocky shore he'd found a sandy bottomed 'pool'. We grabbed our esky and sat in there cracking oysters off the rocks and washing them down with cold Emu Export.
Possums would come and steal your chips while you watched a movie at the outdoor cinema and you'd find them in the bins, drunk in the mornings from sucking the dregs out of the empty beer cans.

That sounds awesome. If it's still like that, they should keep it restricted. Otherwise the feral bogans will wreck it.

(I may be bogan, but I'm only feral at the footy!)

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:10 pm

Weird and kind of unsettling that a foreign company has effectively taken ownership of if. How can that be legit?
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:53 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^Wow, Skids, very cool. You would be in rare company having had that opportunity, by the sounds.

Yeah, it was awesome! It was run by WAPET (West Australian petroleum) back then. There was about 300 of those pumpjack type pumps scattered around the island and 2 platforms offshore.
The Wapet camp had about 200 blokes in it. I was in the construction camp with a crew of about 40. We were building the then, new mess for the Wapet boys. 3 on 1 off, tiny little dog box rooms and a communal bathroom with cold water at about 45 degress.
A lot of the other guys would go fishing on Sundays, you've never seen anything like the catches these blokes brought back!
I was there when the turtles would come on shore and lay their eggs. Big perenties would watch the turtles dig their hole and once they started laying the eggs these big monsters would come and munch on ém as quick as the poor girl could lay them.

I was a 4th year apprentice clearing $1k/week while my mates were back in Perth getting $50 bucks/week! To say my weeks off were huge would be the understatement of all time
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:06 pm

David wrote:
Weird and kind of unsettling that a foreign company has effectively taken ownership of if. How can that be legit?

Do they not teach Proudhon anymore?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:13 pm

Aussie Goverment would do anything the Yanks tell them to do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: