Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Death Penalty?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Death Penalty
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 13 ]
No
45%
 45%  [ 14 ]
Not Sure
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I really wanna spank the Monkey
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 31

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because this isn't Nazi Germany. Exclamation
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:37 pm

David wrote:

Well maybe they got something right

No of course I don't think that, but if they need to test stuff on live things, use prisoners, not animals.

Why the **** is any kinda f testing still done on animals? It $£$%^%%$ disgusts me and makes my blood boil

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:42 pm

1061 wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

What next harvesting criminals for there meat or organs in a world short on food?

Can we start by doing chemical testing on them instead of animals?

Works for me! Razz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:45 pm

David wrote:

Apparently the Yanks did too.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:49 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Well maybe they got something right

No of course I don't think that, but if they need to test stuff on live things, use prisoners, not animals.

Why the **** is any kinda f testing still done on animals? It $£$%^%%$ disgusts me and makes my blood boil

You eat animals. Would you support a human meat trade sourced from prisoners?

Soylent Green is not supposed to be a utopia, you know. Shocked

(By the way, I wasn't kidding earlier—the Nazis passionately opposed animal testing and outlawed it after gaining government. What the doctors did to their prisoners in concentration camps is, of course, one of the 20th century's most horrific occurrences. We should pray that such things are never repeated.)

I'm not opposed to outlawing animal cruelty and finding more ethical means of medical testing, but it should never be done at the expense of basic human rights.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:09 pm

David wrote:
(By the way, I wasn't kidding earlier—the Nazis passionately opposed animal testing and outlawed it after gaining government)

Then they weren't all bad then!

Wish our weak lily livered Government would do something proactive - fat chance - this lot are cranking up live export so no chance of anything remotely humane and compassionate coming from them!! Evil or Very Mad

Testing on animals has proved to be almost irrelevant and insignificant for predicting outcome for humans - I give you one example thalidimide

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:27 am

Meanwhile, back on topic, that great Australian Barry Jones deals well with the death penalty in his fine book, "A Thinking Reed".

I can see an argument that someone so violates the social contract through egregious murder or torture that they put themselves outside normal consideration, so i don't believe that makes capital punishment unthinkable.

The arguments that make sense, however, are that (1) the state has a coercive power over every one of us - probably too much already, in my view; It is best that this coercive power does not include the right to sanction any individual in a manner that is total and irreversible ; (2) in an uncertain world, it is better to lock up 100 people for life than to mistakenly send an innocent person to death ; and (3) it is not necessary to achieve the objective to keepng society safe from savage criminality ; and (4) that the only possible argument for it is that we might be better spending the costs of incarceration on diabetes research, or child cancer or whatever - but that is true of prolonging life in old age, and we simply do not use that calculus.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:03 pm

Interesting, I can't find my previous posts on this. So, I'll do it again.

I support the Death Penalty in the following circumstances:

1. Situation of multiple death/rape
2. Standard of proof is "beyond all doubt".

It would be up to the prosecutor to choose whether to go for a gaol sentence under the standard of proof of "beyond reasonable doubt" or go for the death penalty with a standard of proof of "beyond all doubt"

if a prosecutor goes for the death penalty and fails to get the required standard of proof, the person walks free. This minimises the potential for an innocent person to be sentenced to death.

With the new standard of proof we make it a situation where only a tiny minority qualify.
The motivation for this scenario is simple. People like this aren't able to be rehabilitated, and there is no discernable value from keeping them alive at an ongoing cost to the taxpayer. So put them down and move on,

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Why rape? It's a crime that while horrendous still leaves the victim able to live their life. I can somewhat understand seeking the death penalty for murderers, upon taking a life they forfeit their own 'right to life', but rape, torture or vicious assault causing bodily damage or even permanent disability should surely be handled differently. The criminal working to pay for the victim's treatment and compensation for pain and suffering while remaining imprisoned for an extended period seems more fair and just to me.

I do agree with you that any death penalty would need to be handed down with a burden of 'beyond all doubt' but considering advances in technology end up with people being found innocent decades later of crimes they were 100%, no doubt guilty of still makes me baulk.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:56 pm

Wokko wrote:
Why rape? It's a crime that while horrendous still leaves the victim able to live their life. I can somewhat understand seeking the death penalty for murderers, upon taking a life they forfeit their own 'right to life', but rape, torture or vicious assault causing bodily damage or even permanent disability should surely be handled differently. The criminal working to pay for the victim's treatment and compensation for pain and suffering while remaining imprisoned for an extended period seems more fair and just to me.

I do agree with you that any death penalty would need to be handed down with a burden of 'beyond all doubt' but considering advances in technology end up with people being found innocent decades later of crimes they were 100%, no doubt guilty of still makes me baulk.

how about an eye for an eye? sodomize them with a hot poker, sounds fair, they can live Twisted Evil

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:49 pm

Wokko wrote:

With the rape I'm aiming at those violent multiple rapists. Like the bloke who did Jill Meagher.

The kind of people I'd pitch this at are the Julian Knights of the world. It's not so much that they've forfeited the right to live, but that their continued life is of no benefit to anyone. Depriving someone like him of liberty when he's never going to be rehabilitated is an exercise in futility. What possible reason is there for keeping him alive?

Someone like that, where it can be proven beyond ALL doubt that they were guilty, you just put them down. No drawn out appeals process, no stuffing around, no macabre filming of it, just do it quick and be done with it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:19 pm

Although I have some sympathy for your views on this, I think you've got the wrong angle by talking about "keeping them alive". They're not coma patients on life support; you have to actively decide to end their life to make them die. Most of us would agree that that's a grave thing to do to another human being (not a dog, a person), which is why murder is considered such a heinous crime in the first place, no matter the victim's contribution to society. So, I think doing it to even the worst criminal requires strong justification. That's where the burden of argument has to lie.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:59 pm

stui magpie wrote:
The kind of people I'd pitch this at are the Julian Knights of the world. It's not so much that they've forfeited the right to live, but that their continued life is of no benefit to anyone. Depriving someone like him of liberty when he's never going to be rehabilitated is an exercise in futility. What possible reason is there for keeping him alive?

Only that the death penalty exercises a macabre fascination for certain disturbed individuals, and acts as a motivating factor to commit crimes which attract that penalty. That is the only reason I can think of to set against the several good reasons for it. On balance, it's a tough call.

Although we need to be careful that an "extreme circumstances only" death penalty doesn't become a thin end of the wedge thing. It's easy enough to imagine a mad-dog government whipping up some hysteria and then extending it to more and more crimes, including some acts that deserve a medal more than a penalty. (I'm thinking of the recent US whistleblowers as examples.) And if you can't imagine a mad-dog government doing that, you haven't been paying attention for the last 18 months.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:00 pm

Cat haters should be put to death
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:01 pm

^

nah, just the cats. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 3 of 20   

Jump to: