Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Anti Islamic immigration movement rises in Germany

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
They're protesting because they are most likely growing frustrating of the increased political correctness that has been creeping up on this issue for years. Rather than having an open and honest discussion about Islamism and the negative effects it has on western societies especially in Europe a certain cross-section of people would rather silence these frustrated people rather than hear their concerns and criticisms of Islamism and that's why groups like this group in Germany and the English Defence League (EDL) have come about in the last few years because they are a reaction of growing dissent and lack of transparency and discussion on these matters.

This is very likely not a protest against Muslims as people which would be wrong in so many ways, but more likely a protest against the growing Islamism that is emerging throughout Europe. Islamism is a dangerous ideology that shows no regard for human rights, secularism, rights for women and children and even basic rights for men as well.

However the irony of all of this is that vocal feminists who speak out against the inequalities of women in western societies and the vocal left who speak out against Christianity won't dare to criticise Islamism which is seen as a pet project for them to defend against the 'racists' and 'Islamophobes' as they like to call them.

A few months ago i started to drift away from this forum as it felt a little like two trenches shouting at each other, but I read your post with approval, amd cannot resist a rare comment.

The key issue here is that the Eu is a deeply undemocratic, synthetic body, so denatured that it scarcely seems to retain any values at all. As a result, it is only now groping blindly toward a partially-coherent response to Putin, and it seems utterly incapable of requiring the kind of political fidelity that the US expects of all immigrants, including Muslims. It was nearly 30 years ago that large demonstrations erupted on the streets of Bradford demanding the execution of a great British writer on behalf of a foreign power, and a cowardly Beitish Government failed to act authoritatively on the matter. It is about eight years since the Danish press were similarly threatened. The media have learnt these lessons, and honest, searching discussion of Islam's disturbing tendency to spawn fanaticism, misogyny and death-cults is now largely suppressed from public discourse in Europe. There is something seriously wrong within large parts of this religion, and it is time that its malady was diagnosed and discussed fearlessly.

At the same time, the abdication of the left from its traditional role as advocate for women's rights and secularism has, alas, left that domain to the more unpleasant creatures of the Right, who are in turn coming to be seen by the populace at large as the defenders of their values, right across Europe. It's an increasingly serious situation, and you're right to decry it.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:37 am

1061 wrote:
sixpoints wrote:

Last time I checked Islam is a religion not a 'culture'. So following that logic

BIOYA

http://www.missionislam.com/family/culture.htm
Quote:

While there are numerous cultures and subcultures present in the world, of primary concern to us in this discussion are the two main opposing cultures in present-day society. One is the culture of Islam — the “complete way of life” set forth in the Qur’an and Sunnah. On the other opposing end is the Western culture. Both cultures present a “complete way of life.” However, both ways of life differ drastically.

Good grief, quoting from a whack job fringe fundamentalist website!
"One culture of Islam, and opposing it is Christianity!". Lazy, inflamatory, reductionist rubbish.
If there truly is only one culture of Islam, who then are ISIL fighting? Last time I checked it was the Alawite's, Kurds & Shia. How can one homogeneous culture kick the living crap out of each other if not due to their irrevocable differences.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:42 am

I know one is between zero and two but I had no idea it was the [b]culture of Islam[b] — the “complete way of life” set forth in the Qur’an and Sunnah.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:43 am

Ah, Mugwump is here, to tell us that the left which has been dominated by feminist left thought for two decades now and has fought for women's rights for decades more is no longer feminist; black and white folk are allowed to riot and shape a country for good or bad, but Muslims (including black Muslims) aren't; the EU is to blame for Putin, but not Anglo-America; Blair's Iraq and Afghanistan death cults and torture programs were of a different sort to those of fanatics elsewhere; secularism is at risk because the left is disinterested, even though it was the only group seriously interested in the massive, religio-fanatical anti-democratic violence and destruction of the Iraq War, GFC, and idiotic response to the GFC, and despite it fighting tooth and nail to stop successive, highly-organised routings of organised labour by Big capital, and despite being repeatedly de-funded at its intellectual source, the university; the re-emergence of the looney Euro Bigot right is to be blamed on the left, not on capital smashing real wage growth and Europe's seedy, ever-simmering, ever-ready pool of racist sentiments and delusions; and, well, anything else which has gone wrong just throw that on Muslims, too!

You should publish that in The Journal of Everyone Else is to Blame for Conservative Anglo-Americans No Longer Ruling the World with Gay Abandon, Mugwump!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:15 am

Mugwump wrote:
At the same time, the abdication of the left from its traditional role as advocate for women's rights and secularism has, alas, left that domain to the more unpleasant creatures of the Right, who are in turn coming to be seen by the populace at large as the defenders of their values, right across Europe. It's an increasingly serious situation, and you're right to decry it.

That's an interesting point about progressives ceding discourse and inadvertently empowering extremists, and you could probably mount an interesting discussion on the way political correctness feeds into this phenomenon. But on this issue, really? Do you think we're just taking our eyes off the ball by not getting sucked into moral panics about Halal, Sharia Law and burqas? Are those the "discussions" we urgently need to be having? Or is our primary responsibility to inject some reality into this paranoid discourse and point out that 2% of the population (most of whom are mainstream and already inclined towards peaceful co-existence) do not pose an existential threat to our way of life?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:38 am

^They haven't even ceded feminist discourse, if that's what you're referring to. Even the nuttiest of right, women-hating organisations such as conservative Christian churches have been forced into ceding on gender because of natural economic change and the tireless work of the left without a jot of help or thanks or apology from the stifling, blocking, backward right.

The point is a commonsense trivial one in Leftist discourse that has been understood for decades and is taught in first or second year in any decent social science course: One culture's present reform is another culture's future reform, just as in individual psychology one person's present development task different from the development task of another person at a different age or in a different context. Mix contexts and you get old reform priorities competing with new reform priorities. It's not rocket science for goodness' sake.

Many Islamic nations are still going through core, prerequisite economic reform; in the same way that feminism was impossible in the West before major economic changes, it is still impossible in many other countries. You can't dislodge a gender power gap until you loosen vertical male power gaps, and have gotten your economy to a point where you need the productivity of women over and above your culture objections to it. This is precisely what happened in the West and is happening in countries like Korea now.

Where is all the concern from the same people for women in South America, South Asia, Northeast Asia, Africa, the Pacific Islands and on and on in place after place and culture after culture as far as the eye can see? It's not there because the current interest in Islamic women is a straight-out sham. A fraudulent, feigned expression of concern for something the very same people fought tooth and nail against in their own culture two or three decades ago, and don't give the slightest stuff about anywhere else on the planet except under force of public moral guilt (i.e., your "political correctness").

As a very simple, concrete illustration: Where were all these people when women were crushed in Korea while it was developing, or Korean immigrants in America were following the very same oppressive gender hierarchy there on arrival? Where are they now when the same is going on for Honduran or Burmese women?

Edits: Think I misunderstood you on first reading Wink

Last edited by pietillidie on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:50 am; edited 3 times in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:42 am

sixpoints wrote:
1061 wrote:
sixpoints wrote:

Last time I checked Islam is a religion not a 'culture'. So following that logic

BIOYA

Quote:

While there are numerous cultures and subcultures present in the world, of primary concern to us in this discussion are the two main opposing cultures in present-day society. One is the culture of Islam — the “complete way of life” set forth in the Qur’an and Sunnah. On the other opposing end is the Western culture. Both cultures present a “complete way of life.” However, both ways of life differ drastically.

"One culture of Islam, and opposing it is Christianity!". Lazy, inflamatory, reductionist rubbish.
If there truly is only one culture of Islam, who then are ISIL fighting? Last time I checked it was the Alawite's, Kurds & Shia. How can one homogeneous culture kick the living crap out of each other if not due to their irrevocable differences.

Northern Ireland says hello, and passes on best regards from modern south-eastern Europe (where the Orthodox and Catholic communities are regularly at each others throats) and from the entire history of Europe since AD 400 or so - enough blood and torture there to satisfy anyone.

Meanwhile, of course, Western civilisation is not, repeat not Christian. Some fringe not-job fanatics like those quoted above like to pretend it is, but those days are long, long gone. In any case, the differences between the various remaining Christian sects are often wider than differences between the more moderate forms of Christianity and the corresponding forms of Islam. (Islam, after all, is a breakaway Christian sect; we treat it as though it's something quite different and alien but it began as - and to a large extent still remains - just one more of the many, many different sects which most Christians seem remarkably ignorant of. (Most Muslims too, one assumes.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:32 pm

sixpoints wrote:
1061 wrote:
sixpoints wrote:

BIOYA

Quote:

Something differs from your POV so it's from a whack job.

I'll repeat

BIOYA!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:44 pm

So, are you saying there are no significant cultural differences between Albania and Nigeria? I have no opinion on whether that website is made by "whack jobs", but it's hardly an authoritative source, is it?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Have faith, I'm trying but it's not easy and the person who suffers the most at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:50 pm

David wrote:
So, are you saying there are no significant cultural differences between Albania and Nigeria? I have no opinion on whether that website is made by "whack jobs", but it's hardly an authoritative source, is it?

And sixpoints is?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:56 pm

What SP is asserting is commonly understood fact. Apart from the tiny minority of Iraqi Christians and a few other religious groups, almost all of IS's victims have either been Muslim or adherents of Islam-derived minority faiths. Clearly, the idea of a unified Muslim culture is fantasy, whoever's saying it.

In the age of Wikipedia, I don't think there's any excuse for making unfounded statements about major world religions. If you're interested in or worried about Islam, take a moment to learn something about it. And I say that as someone who knows hardly anything about Islam myself; I just think it's a shame to see ignorant internet memes spread so widely when they have the potential to do such damage.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:20 pm

^ Not fair. It's not an "Internet meme". It's just ignorance. OK, gross ignorance, and ignorance of this general kind has been the stock in trade of anti-democratic leaders the world over for thousands of years.

It's also notable that it is in general only the totalitarian-minded extremists like (for example) ISIS or - to take the case in point - the Western hard-line Christian right insist on picturing the world in terms of vast, monolithic cultural structures, and lack both the will and the intelligence to appreciate the vast differences within the groups they seek to typecast..

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:49 pm

1061 wrote:
sixpoints wrote:
1061 wrote:
sixpoints wrote:

BIOYA

Quote:

Something differs from your POV so it's from a whack job.

I'll repeat

BIOYA!

Here's a quote from your authoritative site.

Our Mission....

To increase awareness as to the extent of oppression against Muslims throughout the world and the conspiracy that exists to exterminate Muslims and the religion of Islam from the face of the Earth.

OK, I'll admit they are not whack jobs, they are nut bag conspiracy theorists instead. My apologies.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:07 pm

sixpoints wrote:
My apologies.

Accepted and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: