Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Power forwards and Travis

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themonk 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are talking ruck come forward then players like Moore, Salmon, Ottens & Cox come to mind.

Don Scott! please......
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:21 am

themonk wrote:
If we are talking ruck come forward then players like Moore, Salmon, Ottens & Cox come to mind.

Don Scott! please......

No player over 200cm has kicked a ton, some have been on track but at the end of the day they always end up kissing dirt.

Fact is (and it is a fact until proven otherwise) players of that height aren't suited as FFs.

Height has been massively overrated when it comes to drafting power forwards lately, IMO it means jack shit, you either have the gift or you don't.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
themonk 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:42 am

Defender wrote:
themonk wrote:

Don Scott! please......

No player over 200cm has kicked a ton, some have been on track but at the end of the day they always end up kissing dirt.

Fact is (and it is a fact until proven otherwise) players of that height aren't suited as FFs.

Height has been massively overrated when it comes to drafting power forwards lately, IMO it means jack shit, you either have the gift or you don't.

Agreed, however I was identifying rucks that have kicked bags when played forward and Don Scott is not one of them.

Also, it's harder to kick a ton in the modern game, gone are the days of 1 on 1.

BTW Buddy is around 198cm
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:00 pm
Post subject: Re: YeahReply with quote

sixpoints wrote:
Hiss wrote:
I still rate Don Scott as the best all round key on baller and forward player. He could drop back into the forward line and dominate. Travis is too inconsistent for my liking. We need better bang for our Bucks.

Don Scott used to carry a man-bag. He also wore cravats.
I don't rate people who wear cravats.

That's a racist comment. How dare you!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:18 am
Post subject: Re: YeahReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
sixpoints wrote:
Hiss wrote:
I still rate Don Scott as the best all round key on baller and forward player. He could drop back into the forward line and dominate. Travis is too inconsistent for my liking. We need better bang for our Bucks.

Don Scott used to carry a man-bag. He also wore cravats.
I don't rate people who wear cravats.

That's a racist comment. How dare you!

really! so exactly which race of people carry man-bags and/or wear cravats, and exactly how is not rating their footy prowess racist?
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:21 am

Travis need to lead hard and direct at the ball carrier if defenders are going to drop into the space in front of him then he needs to use his ample frame to smash them with a knee to the head/back on the way through.

He is too focussed on the wrestle and has lost his leading game.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:54 am

He never seems to get a favorable decision either and remembering that thrust at
goal 2010 replay GF an example.
Free kick awarded against him but clearance resulted in Goldie mark and first goal
That similar style or approach since has been creeping in at times and the frees for
would be not flash IMO.
After saying that he is awresome when he comes to play

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:37 am

loki04 wrote:
Travis need to lead hard and direct at the ball carrier if defenders are going to drop into the space in front of him then he needs to use his ample frame to smash them with a knee to the head/back on the way through.

He is too focussed on the wrestle and has lost his leading game.

Spot on.

If opposition tactics contrive to deny Cloke possession, then make the opposition pay a hard and heavy price.

If the umpires are going to ping Cloke for supposed infringements, then make them real infringements (painful, jarring collisions) that will cower opposition players and make them reluctant to relive the experience next time the ball comes Cloke's way.

Collingwood needs to make playing on Cloke the most feared and hated assignment in the AFL.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:46 pm

Couldn't agree more Woods. Travis gets reamed by the maggots every match and the backs are allowed to do whatever they want. So if that's the way the league want to play it then let the buggers pay for it with bruises and abrasions.

It's about time this club took a stand against runaway decency in the west . . . . . LOL.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:56 pm

Yes they two and three out Trav match after match and hold his arms but he gets nought
If two and possibly three are hanging off him would not our numbers just off this pack
mauling outnumber the opposition if ball spills free

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:04 am

Barry the SHOULD but lately we have been obsessed with defensive forwards.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:15 am

Then maybe sides create an offensive forward
to be around ball drop

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:51 am

I believe that was the idea with Jesse - to have the twin towers of Cloke and Ried as marking threats with White sitting just off the pack ready to swoop on a spill.

Unfortunately Ried going down for the year destroyed those well laid plans.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:41 pm

Key Forward Prospects

In my opinion,

Travis runs long, hard and leads up very well for a big bloke and marks very well on the lead. He can hang back and take the a few good grabs one on one in the square and he occasionally takes a solid pack mark.

His kicking can be on or can be horribly off as we know.

On the deck he gives a good chase, loves a hard tackle or a smother and is very good defensively but, he can struggle in general play offensively when the ball is on the ground most big forwards do.

What we obviously need is to get another tall forward or two working well in there to give him a chop out. Reid looks highly doubtful it seems the body just cannot hold up.

That means we need Gault or White to step up and or for Witts or Grundy to be able to go forward and have an impact.

Gault is very raw but improved a mile last season so if he can continue that improvement arc this year he has some claims to a spot. He is big, strong, can take a grab, has reasonable speed and looks reasonable when the ball is on the deck. Very big boned and raw and its very early days.

White, has trimmed down and wants to be more mobile, let's hope he can improve on an overall average first season. Showed glimpses but, terribly inconsistent and a quite day means he doesn't touch it, which is not anywhere near good enough.

Moore, from all reports is being groomed for the backline first up. My tip is he will end up being a forward to replace Travis in a few seasons.

Witts, has shown he can go forward and jag a mark and kick a goal.

Grundy, looks a little lost as a deep forward at this stage.

I just cannot bank even small change on Reid getting back on the park for a string of games.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:07 am

When trav leads off, and leaves the limpets behind, that's when he's at his best, with some of the comments re working on running to get fitness where it needs to be, are we likely to see more of this? He's an emotiotional player, when he is getting dragged down, his confidence is down and his accuracy at its worst, ie shitful. Hopefully, if we can keep more KPPs on the field this year, the defenders will have more to contend with. I've given up on the umpires doing their jobs, we need to get Trav some freedom. He's still the key for mine, and we need to get our money's worth!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: