Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Maryborough VIC

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:52 am
Post subject: Maryborough VICReply with quote

Heading up there today to look at houses with a view to possible relocation. Anyone on here ever lived, worked, visited the place and can give me the inside scoop?

FWIW I've loved living in both Bendigo and Woodend and despise Geelong with a burning passion.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely town, I'd live there myself like a shot. Economically, the broader district has (from memory) the highest proportion of people living below the poverty anywhere in Victoria, but it's anything but a slum - country people have a marked ability to live well and enjoy life on the smell of an oily rag. Maryborough has a strong community life and provides everything one could sensibly ask for by way of facilities. Best of all, you are close to both 3. and me. Sing out when you get organised and we will meet up for a beer, a coffee, or a game of pétanque in Clunes.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:59 am

Have had family living there for the last twenty years so have spent quite a bit of time there. In my opinion its a complete and utter shithole. No work, high unemployment especially amongst the young, and full of illicit drugs (ICE becoming a major problem). If you are familiar with Bendigo it's like a big version of Long Gully and California Gully. If you are looking for somewhere like Woodend you'll be sadly disappointed.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:05 pm

Woodend was nice, but weekend tourism was a pain in the arse and it's too expensive.

Well that's two wildly disparate opinions. FWIW I'm in Geelong right now, which has high unemployment, drugs and a shrinking retail base (CBD is becoming a ghost town). About to leave (been ready for two hours, but waiting for someone to get their clothes just right) Rolling Eyes Laughing
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:59 pm

Has good facilities but none of the charm of Clunes or Woodend unfortunately. I spent most of my life in small country towns and fully appreciate the community spirit and resilience you often find. While Maryborough has elements of it I'm sure, there are far too many nasty do-nothing drug-addled hillbilly farknuckles for my liking.

Castlemaine is pretty as is Maldon and both have a nice feel about them although Maldon is very touristy now. I also lived in Sunbury for three years until recently and it had a lot more going for it. Country feel, solid country people, good community and close enough to the city to commute and get to the footy without any problems. Not bad house prices either.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:19 pm

Nomadjack has lived there, I've only passed through and visited. (Well, I did do my teaching rounds there but that was a very long time ago.) His experience is vastly greater than mine. Nevertheless, I've always liked Maryborough and wouldn't hesitate to live there.

I wouldn't expect it to be remotely like Woodend, more similar to Castlemaine or even Bendigo. Like them, it is a real town with a bit of size about it. Woodend these days is a mixture of a cheapish dormitory suburb, a city weeekender, and probably the remains of a country village, but you know that.

PS: Woodend? "Charm?" Interesting notion. (I grew up near Woodend, always regarded it as a place you have to go through if you want to get to some other place.)

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:27 pm

^^^
Just to clarify, I never lived there myself but visited often. My two sister-in-laws lived there which probably has a lot to do with my low opinion of it...
Smile

We quite often take our bikes for a run through Gisborn, Woodend, Mt Macedon. Beautiful country to me - then again I haven't had to live there....
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:36 pm

my sisters live just past Romsey, near lancefield, magnificent country, people are lovely.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:06 pm

Sisters-in-law Shocked
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:34 pm

Victoria's answer to Salt Lake City, you're suggesting? Wink

Woodend is our favourite day trip destination—we've been heading up there regularly since the beginning of our relationship. We talked about living there at some stage, though I think we'd want somewhere with a little more of an arts scene. Castlemaine sounds like it'd be a good destination for that.

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:51 pm

Tannin wrote:
Sisters-in-law Shocked

Yes...PLURAL... Shocked ...still have the bloody mental scars Crying or Very sad
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:48 pm

Actually, I was just being a grammar nazi .... which would doubtless be less trouble in the family than two sisters-in-law. Or, as my mother calls them, the dills.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:11 pm

I have two little bitchy Brothers in Common Law who I'd happily trade for a couple of Sisters Laughing
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Wokko wrote:
Woodend was nice, but weekend tourism was a pain in the arse and it's too expensive.

Well that's two wildly disparate opinions. FWIW I'm in Geelong right now, which has high unemployment, drugs and a shrinking retail base (CBD is becoming a ghost town). About to leave (been ready for two hours, but waiting for someone to get their clothes just right) Rolling Eyes Laughing

It's hot in Maryborough!
There is a small ice problem but it's no worse than anywhere else but no where near as bad as Geelong or parts of Melbourne.
I go there occasionally (they have a Stihl shop) for lunch or what-ever and I'm yet to form a bad opinion of the place.
If I was you I'd look at one of the satelite towns like Amhurst or Talbot too.
You have the convenience of a med' size town 10 mins away and you'll get the full country life experience.

Let me know if decide to move up this way...
Your an eloquent man and I'd like to meet you.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:23 pm

Cheers 3 (and Tannin earlier), it'd be nice to move somewhere and not be totally isolated. About the only bad things I've seen doing research is medical care (GP) is difficult and many people just drive to nearby towns or even Ballarat, and it's a bit bogan (which is fine by me).

Also surprisingly seems to be issues with people dinging each others cars in Kmart car park and driving off. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: