Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hostage situation in Sydney

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
Gun laws or no gun laws won't stop loonies.

Give me 3k and i'll get you a Glock on the weekend.

And, according to your extensive scientific research, what percentage of dangerous pyschoses are permanent states, and what percentage are temporary states?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:29 pm

Skids wrote:
Gun laws or no gun laws won't stop loonies.

Give me 3k and i'll get you a Glock on the weekend.

So much this. I knew a few people back in the day who could get anything from small revolvers up to SLRs for the right price. I'm sure nothing's changed.

Firearms laws prevent law abiding citizens from owning guns, criminals and loonies find a way.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:31 pm

Of course, the primary cause of a ridiculous murder rate of 5+/100,000 people is social polarisation and breakdown. We all know that.

And then you go and facilitate it and entertain it with idiotic gun laws?

Beyond that, you're dead right about it being cultural. Mollycoddling a detached, anti-social psychiatry is both symptomatic and causal in what is a dysfunctional culture.

Only a destructive culture which has given up on the very notion of "society" swaggers about like a ten-year-old vigilante. It needs therapy, not imaginary protection from imaginary demons.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:43 pm

Wokko wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
Yes indeed given the links you supplied to support your argument ( and yes i did look at them and discounted them very quickly as opinion very poorly dressed up as " fact" - not an ounce of credible reasearch or findings to be seen) I would say congratulations on having no idea is certainly applicable.

Your feelings aren't statistically relevant.

I know full well that Australians are indoctrinated against self defence and firearms and would never expect laws relating to either issue (and they are seperate but similar issues) to change, but if your home was invaded or you were car jacked then your views would change very fast. We're incredibly lucky to live in a wealthy, generally peaceful country, but equating our self defence and firearm laws with this peace is delusional.

This guy was using a weapon that has been banned since Howards Laws came into effect, didn't stop him getting it. I don't see why we expect criminals to respect firearms laws but not those against homicide, burglary and assault, it's asinine.

Not about my feelings - I spend a lot of time at work evaluating "research " with the aim of providing better care - what you provided in the way of evidence was not credible - it was opinion presented as fact to back up your opinion.

And no sorry I would not change my opinion - I have travelled and worked in countries that do not have the peaceful society we are lucky to live in and I haven't seen any evidence that carrying guns enhance security or well being in fact I have seen the opposite!

If and when credible research that takes in all the variables emerges then I will be happy to reassess and if indicated change my opinion.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:49 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Of course, the primary cause of a ridiculous murder rate of 5+/100,000 people is social polarisation and breakdown. We all know that.

Beyond that, you're dead right about it being cultural. Mollycoddling a detached, anti-social psychiatry is both symptomatic and causal in what is a dysfunctional culture.

Only a destructive culture which has given up on the very notion of "society" swaggers about like a ten-year-old vigilante. It needs therapy, not imaginary protection from imaginary demons.

This. I don't need a survey to tell me that having guns around every family home is a bad idea. Do they factor in accidents, suicide and serious injury into the homicide rate? And all so people can feel safe if they ever get held up by an armed criminal, i.e. something that's roughly as likely as being struck by lightning (well, unless you legalise guns!).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. We need gun legalisation like we need a hole in the head.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:00 pm

Wokko wrote:
Your feelings aren't statistically relevant.

Mate, give it a rest. Given the wholesale serial torture of innocent numbers you just committed, you clearly wouldn't recognise "statistically relevant" if you took 20 gallons worth of it as an enema. Go away and do a course on social enquiry and/or data analysis. When you pass - sorry, that's an "if" in your case - get back to us.

And as a matter of fact, Morrigu's feelings are statistically relevant in this instance, because she is one of the vast majority of Australians who are not taken in by your pro-gun voodoo nonsense numbers and steadfastly opposes the idiotic sort of slaughterhouse policy you propose.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:07 pm

David wrote:
And all so people can feel safe if they ever get held up by an armed criminal

Just as a minor side-note, David, it's a pretty fair bet that you are much safer not being armed in that circumstance. An unarmed victim is likely to wind up robbed and traumatised. An armed victim is practically certain to wind up dead. Well, apart from when you have a gentleman iced-up junkie, of course, who says "this is a fair-chance hold up, I'll give you ten seconds to put down your briefcase, finish your coffee, and get your gun out if you remembered it today, then I start shooting".

Yer right

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:13 pm

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+gun+control+jon+stewart&qpvt=you+tube+gun+control+jon+stewart&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=DE83A575F8F2B9462EDFDE83A575F8F2B9462EDF

Get outta here Laughing

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:58 pm

David wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

This. I don't need a survey to tell me that having guns around every family home is a bad idea. Do they factor in accidents, suicide and serious injury into the homicide rate? And all so people can feel safe if they ever get held up by an armed criminal, i.e. something that's roughly as likely as being struck by lightning (well, unless you legalise guns!).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. We need gun legalisation like we need a hole in the head.

Ah, finally, a post we are in 110% agreement on!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:05 am

Probably worth reading the whole article written by Senator Leyonhjelm rather than the sensationalised selctive quoting I've seen. He is 90% discussing the ridiculous situation of having no right to defend yourself as any and all means, even non lethal ones, are illegal.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/lindt-cafe-hostages-like-the-rest-of-us-denied-the-practical-right-to-selfdefence-20141218-129q4r.html

This country is completely $$%^%%$ brainwashed concerning weapons of self defense.

The Muslim terrorist was using a weapon that has been banned for 18 years and didn't have a firearms license, so tell me again how gun laws work to protect us.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:28 am

Get a grip. You do have the right to defend yourself. Self-defence has been a fundamental basic of our law for hundreds of years, and nothing has changed that. You don't, however, have the right to endanger those around you by carrying an offensive weapon - and as all rational people are aware, the likelihood of harming an innocent person with an offensive personal weapon (such as a handgun, an automatic rifle, a vial of live Ebola virus, or a kilo of Semtex) is vastly higher than the likelihood of preventing harm with it.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 am

watt price tully wrote:
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+gun+control+jon+stewart&qpvt=you+tube+gun+control+jon+stewart&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=DE83A575F8F2B9462EDFDE83A575F8F2B9462EDF

Seen it before - but it's just so appropriate. Post this again anytime you think we have forgotten it.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:38 am

What part of Non Lethal was so hard to understand. What is the point of a right if any and all means to exercise that right are illegal? How do you defend yourself or your family against an armed attacker when there are no weapons you can use apart from whatever you're lucky enough to have within reach. Even going to another room and grabbing something can get you in trouble.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:48 am

^ Rubbish post. Any and all means of self-defence are legal provided only that the response is reasonable under the circumstances, is a genuine attempt at self-defence where no reasonable lesser alternative is available, and it uses a practical minimum of force consistent with safety. By far the best way to be safe is not to be attacked in the first place. Preventing the sale of lethal weapons is the single most important way to achieve that aim, and as the Australian experience since Port Arthur has proved, it is a very effective way indeed. Murders way down. Mass killings hugely down. Gunshot accidental deaths way down. Gunshot suicides way down. Doesn't matter which way you look at it, it has worked, and worked so well that Australians will never, ever go back to the bad old days.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:44 am

Looks like the Gay Marriage lobbyists are going to use the Cafe Managers Murder in their fight for same sex marriage. Apparently he was in a defacto relationship with his partner of 14 years but of course they could not marry.

I hope they don't do this.

The US Based Huffington Post has started and they obviously don't understand in Australia all Non Married Couples are equal under Australian law. There is no discrimination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 16 of 22   

Jump to: