Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hostage situation in Sydney

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Please make some suggestions for improvement.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:16 pm

Morrigu wrote:
This is great - this is how we should respond to what is happening in Sydney today - don't let the actions of one or a few on any side for any demented reason change our way of life and turn us against each other!!!

AFTER a volatile day at both Martin Place and on social media, there are fears that Muslims could be targeted on our streets.

However a heartwarming hashtag has emerged on Twitter tonight, with hundreds of Australians offering to accompany Muslims to work tomorrow in case they don’t feel safe.

The hashtag #illridewithyou has begun trending on Twitter, with commuters volunteering to travel on buses and trains on transport networks across the nation’s capital cities.

Some offered to take the train or bus with worried Muslim companions, while others offered to give them a lift in their cars.

The hashtag is being widely praised as a way of combating racism and bringing Australians together

yeah I saw that. Really good stuff.

For those interested https://twitter.com/hashtag/illridewithyou?src=tren

This kind of thing can really go either way. A Terrorist would do this to deliberately ramp up anti muslim sentiment and drive some more people to their cause. On the other hand, if enough people can differentiate between the extremists and the not, then it could have some positive aspects. Lets see which way it spins.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:27 pm

I'm actually pleasantly surprised we don't see situations like this or that which occurred in Canada a short while ago more often.

While people might question the powers the Police and intelligence services have at there disposal when it comes to terrorism suspicion and alleged activities I do wonder how many situations like we've witnessed today have been foiled in the early stages of planning around the globe.

P.S- Don't know about the rest of you but when making my way from the G after a big game I've often thought how it would be like shooting fish in a barrel if you were so inclined like these nutbags.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:28 pm

Terrorist has asked for an IS flag and a live cross with Tony Abbott.

Chillingly the recent uncovered plot for a public beheading in Sydney included draping the body in an IS flag after a live, streamed beheading.

Not sure why all the lefties are bending over to take the Muslim terrorism aspect away or water it down while apparently not giving two shits about the 15+ Australians facing death at the hands of one of these evil pricks.

Third demand that was censored by the media (was posted by a hostage and since deleted) was for the media to tell his two 'brothers' not to set off their bombs.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:43 pm

It was always going to happen. The massive (and mega-expensive) headline-seeking "security" operations of the last few months have made this sort of event more likely, of course. Red rag to a bull stuff. On the other hand, one or two other plans have doubtless been nixed. A bit less chest-beating and a bit more genuine conciliation would have been better.

Still, the damage is done now; we can only sit back and hope for a safe ending. I have every confidence that the NSW police (and assisting agencies) are doing everything that anyone can possibly do, and doing it to a very high professional standard. They won't be sending in any L-platers or time-servers for this job; they will have their very best people on the ground and a clear focus on staying calm and saving lives if they can. All Australia is behind them and hoping for success.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Mountains Magpie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
I know it's all speculation right now, but does anyone else think it's telling that there's only one gunman? That suggests to me more lone crazy than organised terrorist plot.

I could be wrong, but I would have thought that he'd have a bit of back-up if it were the latter.

Very much a lone crazy, doesn't mean it's not a terror plot organised or otherwise. Lots of these "lone Wolf" types attach themselves to a cause.

Two things.

Firstly, he might be acting under instruction, even from someone/somewhere overseas.

Secondly, time will tell if this is merely a distraction for something else. Unlikely yes, but certainly a possibility.

I personally don't think this individual is intending to get out of this situation alive. Let's hope he doesn't take anyone else out with him.

Yep and now unsubstantiated reports of 4 bombs somewhere in Sydney.

We need a Jack Bauer

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Tannin wrote:
It was always going to happen. The massive (and mega-expensive) headline-seeking "security" operations of the last few months have made this sort of event more likely, of course. Red rag to a bull stuff. On the other hand, one or two other plans have doubtless been nixed. A bit less chest-beating and a bit more genuine conciliation would have been better.

Still, the damage is done now; we can only sit back and hope for a safe ending. I have every confidence that the NSW police (and assisting agencies) are doing everything that anyone can possibly do, and doing it to a very high professional standard. They won't be sending in any L-platers or time-servers for this job; they will have their very best people on the ground and a clear focus on staying calm and saving lives if they can. All Australia is behind them and hoping for success.

Unless the headlines were a cover. With all the arrests that have been made over the last few months, how many plots have been foiled that we don't konw about?

This is really scary shit, are there brothers, are there 4 bombs? Is this guy just a decoy?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:57 pm

So whats stopping the police taking him down, whats in the backpack?
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Just as well the black and white flag being held up isn't a Collingwood one.

Hey if 3 can make jokes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:05 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Hey if 3 can make jokes.

C'mon TP if you slap me down.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:37 pm

Your right, it ain't funny at all. Save the jokes for later. There is still another 8 people at least going through absolute hell, tired and. Distraught. Imaging their family's pain too.

I've just put the #illridewithyou on my Facebook page.

Jokes will only cause pain. As much as I hate what those head scarves represent (in my mind, they are degrading to woman - that's my opinion folks, right or wrong, I'm entitled to it) hearing of woman in tears on public transport ripping them off as they feel ashamed or embarrassed, that's just WRONG.

We need to unite. Don't let the bastards win a point. Not one.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:39 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Hey if 3 can make jokes.

I laughed. Laughing

The main point of terrorism is to spread fear amongst the populace. If we can still laugh, then the terrorist(s?) has failed.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:52 pm

think positive wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Unless the headlines were a cover. With all the arrests that have been made over the last few months, how many plots have been foiled that we don't konw about?

Cover for what? Cover how? No matter, perhaps you might try reading my post again, possibly even the bolded bit which seems to have escaped your notice.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:35 pm

sometimes im sure we are married
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:42 pm

It's must be bizarre being in an environment where you are in fear of your life all the while being surrounded by the intoxicating smell of chocolate.

Those two things just don't belong together at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 4 of 22   

Jump to: