Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hostage situation in Sydney

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of pushing Jo's buttons,
I'm going to engage in some free speech.
(It's been talked about a lot lately!)

It seemed to me the police tactics were to starve the bloke out or bore him to death, which-ever got the longest live television coverage of basically no information and nothing happening!
A few intrepid hostages did what the police could not, (get out of the shop when the gunman wasn't looking!) of which we saw endless action replays,
but still no action from the 250 SWAT members surrounding the joint!
What they should/could have done (freeing hostages with force 1:0:1) is wait till he was distracted, create a diversion (say at a side window) and rush the front door with just few of the teams best shots!
That or take him out with a sniper!
Both of these are best done in day-light and breech "the don't deal with kidnappers image").
Anyway, after 19 hours of no action the Barrister saw his chance (we think) and tried to wrestle the shot gun away from the Lunatic when 2 gunshots were heard!
The SWAT team was suddenly fired into action and launched their improptu assault!
It consisted of over 30 seconds of automatic rifle fire (by god knows how many officers) and countless stun grenades... 6 more grenades even after the shooting stopped!
We know the lawyer died of a heart attack (who can blame her?) yet it seems strange to me, we haven't been told how the brave (?) barrister died!
If it was by shot-gun blast they'd certainly have us all about it but there is total silence regarding what happened when the SWAT team launched their rescue mission!
Given that the assault on the chocolate shop went on for an inordinate time (32 seconds) and the outcome so poor (2 innocent deaths) I don't know how the police can claim it went well!

Your right David, we have a duty to question such incompetence (and silence) from the people entrusted to protect us!

Last edited by 3.14159 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:26 pm

3.14159 wrote:
At the risk of pushing Jo's buttons,
I'm going to engage in some free speech.
(It's been talked about a lot lately!)

It seemed to me the police tactics were to starve the bloke out or bore him to death, which-ever got the longest live television coverage of basically no information and nothing happening!
A few intrepid hostages did what the police could not, (get out of the shop when the gunman wasn't looking!) of which we saw endless action replays but still no action from the 250 SWAT members surrounding the joint!
After 19 hours of no action the Barrister saw his chance (we think) and tried to wrestle the shot gun away from the Lunatic when 2 gunshots were heard!
The SWAT team was suddenly fired into action (keystone cops style) and launched their well prepared assault!
It consisted of over 30 seconds of automatic rifle fire and countless stun grenades, 6 more grenades even after the shooting stopped!
We know the lawyer died of a heart attack yet it seems strange to me, we haven't been told how the brave barrister died!
If it was by shot-gun blast they'd certainly have us all about it but there is total silence regarding what happened when the SWAT team launched their rescue mission!
Given that the assault on the chocolate shop went on for an inordinate time (32 seconds) and the outcome so poor (2 innocent deaths) I don't know how the police can claim it went well!

Your right David, we have a duty to question such incompetence (and silence) from the people entrusted to protect us!

Actually, I'm pretty sure I've read that the barista died of a shotgun wound to the head and the lawyer chick died of heart failure after being hit in the heart by a ricochet Police bullet.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:37 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure I've read that the barista died of a shotgun wound to the head and the lawyer chick died of heart failure after being hit in the heart by a ricochet Police bullet.

Where did you read that, a twitter account?

As I said, the almost total silence regarding the details and/or an explanation of the total lack of action by 250 heavily armed, armoured and trained elite counter terrorism officers against 1 deranged lunatic (who's every action they could observe through plate glass windows) and why innocent people died because of this incompetence is deafening!!!

Last edited by 3.14159 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:49 pm

Culprit wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
There is victims of crime compensation.
There is but they will get $1500 under that. Under the Terrorism rule you can get up to $70K.

That would explain why the authorities are so keen for this to be seen as the work of a lone madman and not a terrorist.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:51 pm

3.14159 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Where did you read it?
As I said, the almost total silence regarding the details is deafening!

This is one.

http://www.news.com.au/national/investigation-finds-katrina-dawson-killed-by-police-during-shootout-at-martin-place/story-fncynjr2-1227181007443

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:56 pm

1061 wrote:
Culprit wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
There is but they will get $1500 under that. Under the Terrorism rule you can get up to $70K.

That would explain why the authorities are so keen for this to be seen as the work of a lone madman and not a terrorist.

Only if it occurs overseas - NSW pollie proposing that such payments should be also be available for victims of terrorism on home soil.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-13/nsw-ag-wants-local-terror-victims-to-get-federal-compensation/6013970

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:11 pm

David wrote:
Fred Nile has an ... interesting opinion on these matters:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/14/fred-nile-says-male-hostages-who-fled-sydney-siege-dont-deserve-bravery-awards

While he may have a point that someone can be a hostage without necessarily being 'brave', it's a good deal braver to successfully escape from an armed gunman than it is to spend your entire political career beating up on minority groups and basically being a colossal turd.

Fred Nile is proof that his God is in no hurry to have him join the happy gang in Heaven. I take some solace in the fact that whilst he basks in the joy of kicking minority groups who are largely there for biological reasons yet he himself trumps up fairy stories. A rogering with a rubber implement by a goat rooting jihadist would be too good for him.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:13 pm

I am extremely glad to hear this is going be investigated!
I heard nothing about it on channel 7.

250 officers, 19 hours live media coverage (and constant updates) and 2 deaths is a piss poor effort by people paid by us to handle this type of thing!
All that training all those weapons against 1 gunman behind glass and they can't get a peaceful/or "shoot the *ucker (and not the hostages) dead result!

If that's the best our elite anti-terror squads can do we are not going to be fighting IS for months but decades.

Last edited by 3.14159 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:23 pm

3.14159 wrote:
I heard nothing about it on channel 7!

250 officers, 19 hours live media coverage (and constant updates) and 2 deaths is a piss poor effort by people paid by us to handle this type of thing!
All that training all those weapons against 1 gunman behind glass and they can't get a peaceful/or "shoot the *ucker (and not the hostages) dead result!

Pathetic!

Yes, they should have shot him, at the first opportunity

But then they would have been castrated for it

No win situation

Two things I'm sure of, the cops did the best they could, and, no matter what they did, some $%$ers out there, the Cowboys behind the pc keyboards, who find it so easy to judge men far braver than themselves, would not be happy

I'm out of buttons, and out of here.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:24 pm

Thanks for telling me that gossip. I will remember it.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:46 am

The police didn't shoot initially because they were worried that the gun man had a bomb in his backpack. They didn't want to detonate it either accidentally with a bullet or by him falling heavily to the floor (if it was a kill shot), or purposely if the shot doesn't kill him instantly allowing the gunman to press the button.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:15 am

The Seedsmeister wrote:
The police didn't shoot initially because they were worried that the gun man had a bomb in his backpack. They didn't want to detonate it either accidentally with a bullet or by him falling heavily to the floor (if it was a kill shot), or purposely if the shot doesn't kill him instantly allowing the gunman to press the button.
The guy should never been allowed to be out on Bail. This is what keeps getting overlooked.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:14 am

3.14159 wrote:
I heard nothing about it on channel 7.

If that's the best our elite anti-terror squads can do we are not going to be fighting IS for months but decades.

Here's a novel idea - how about you wait for the outcome of the investigation before you throw unsubstantiated criticism at those involved? You've whined that not enough info has been made public but seem to have all the info you need to condemn the actions of the police? How does that work?
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:16 am

1061 wrote:
Culprit wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Do you actually believe this? Shocked
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:19 am

All this yabber about could have should have might have must have is clueless wank. I use "clueless" here in the strict sense - not as a sneer or an insult; simply pointing out that we don't know what happened, we have no clues about it, and won't know until the inquest, if then. All we have are guesses.

Put the guesses away, stop all this daft clueless speculation, and save up your morbid curiousity for the coroner's report. There will be lots and lots to talk about then, more lollies than you can eat, so no peeking under the tree and don't rattle the presents. Think about something else in the meantime and, if you have to, have a cold shower.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22   

Jump to: