Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hostage situation in Sydney

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I've been wondering:

http://www.crikey.com.au/2015/01/13/rundle-so-many-questions-from-sydney-siege-but-no-adequate-answers/

Quote:
We’re learning some other disturbing facts about the siege and its end too — that the police were unwilling to let Muslim community leaders speak to Monis, that they had no clear strategy over whether to give Monis an Islamic State flag or not (for which he had said he would release a hostage) and that police had no ongoing contact with Monis for hours at a time during the siege.

It is the last of these that is most disturbing. The core imperative of any hostage negotiation is to maintain a connection with the hostage-taker, and establish a relationship with him (or, much less commonly, her). This is especially so when hostages have been taken not by professional criminals, but by those who believe that they have been “driven” to such an act, and have no other choice.

[…]

Though he was clearly not insane in a legal sense, Monis was obviously disturbed and narcissistic, the type for whom a substantial negotiation exists. Put simply, if a hostage negotiator can establish a personal relationship with such a figure, convince them that they genuinely understand their troubles, and recognise their legitimacy, the hostage-taker has a good chance of being calmed down, releasing hostages for less than they had asked for, or for nothing at all, and often having their resolve completely broken. Having steeled themselves to violent action by developing a sense of isolation and superhuman bearing, an apparently real connection with a human being can deflate that resolve rapidly.

The revelation that there was no ongoing contact raises a crucial question. Was Monis treated as a disturbed hostage-taker first and foremost — disgruntled employee, angry divorced father — or did his self-proclaimed status as an IS representative alter the way in which the situation was handled? Was a crude rule of “we don’t negotiate with terrorists” — which, in such circumstances, we do — allowed to dictate operational procedure?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:11 pm

OEP wrote:
think positive wrote:
If you can hand out father of the year and Australian of the year awards to sportsman willy nilliy, then give the cops bravery awards. Every situation is different, but it sounds as if certainly a few of the hostages at least did some mighty brave stuff

Just because one award has become political doesn't mean we should allow another award to go down the same path. The police were doing their job and nothing I've heard to date would indicate any of them went above and beyond the call of their duty. I agree regarding the hostages and believe all of them were courageous in their own way, I'm simply saying I don't believed those that escaped warrant Bravery Awards.

Why because they escaped? Does that make them cowards? Or don't give any of the hostages an award unless they jumped in fron of the gun?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:11 pm

David wrote:
This is what I've been wondering:

http://www.crikey.com.au/2015/01/13/rundle-so-many-questions-from-sydney-siege-but-no-adequate-answers/

Quote:
We’re learning some other disturbing facts about the siege and its end too — that the police were unwilling to let Muslim community leaders speak to Monis, that they had no clear strategy over whether to give Monis an Islamic State flag or not (for which he had said he would release a hostage) and that police had no ongoing contact with Monis for hours at a time during the siege.

It is the last of these that is most disturbing. The core imperative of any hostage negotiation is to maintain a connection with the hostage-taker, and establish a relationship with him (or, much less commonly, her). This is especially so when hostages have been taken not by professional criminals, but by those who believe that they have been “driven” to such an act, and have no other choice.

[…]

Though he was clearly not insane in a legal sense, Monis was obviously disturbed and narcissistic, the type for whom a substantial negotiation exists. Put simply, if a hostage negotiator can establish a personal relationship with such a figure, convince them that they genuinely understand their troubles, and recognise their legitimacy, the hostage-taker has a good chance of being calmed down, releasing hostages for less than they had asked for, or for nothing at all, and often having their resolve completely broken. Having steeled themselves to violent action by developing a sense of isolation and superhuman bearing, an apparently real connection with a human being can deflate that resolve rapidly.

The revelation that there was no ongoing contact raises a crucial question. Was Monis treated as a disturbed hostage-taker first and foremost — disgruntled employee, angry divorced father — or did his self-proclaimed status as an IS representative alter the way in which the situation was handled? Was a crude rule of “we don’t negotiate with terrorists” — which, in such circumstances, we do — allowed to dictate operational procedure?

You really know how to push my buttons!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:17 pm

A female hostage wants a six figure sum for an interview. Rolling Eyes

We have a push for Terrorism compensation payouts that people can receive overseas to be the same here. My question is this, was this incident an act of Terrorism?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:06 pm

Well, there's a can of worms. Frankly, I find the whole concept of terrorism compensation very dubious, particularly when nothing of the sort exists for other victims of violent crime—it seems like a case of very opportunistic politicking.

think positive wrote:

I'm sorry that you can't abide criticism of police actions, but I will never give police, or the army, or the government—or any other group or individual that wields authority in our society—a free pass just because they held a press conference and said that everything went okay. Indeed, I believe that it is our duty as citizens in a democracy to always ask questions and never be afraid to criticise if we think it's warranted.

Nobody and nothing can ever be considered above criticism.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:22 pm

There is victims of crime compensation.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:07 pm

Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick, then. There was talk of making terrorism a special category, though, wasn't there?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:09 pm

What happened?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:27 pm

David wrote:
Well, there's a can of worms. Frankly, I find the whole concept of terrorism compensation very dubious, particularly when nothing of the sort exists for other victims of violent crime—it seems like a case of very opportunistic politicking.

think positive wrote:

I'm sorry that you can't abide criticism of police actions, but I will never give police, or the army, or the government—or any other group or individual that wields authority in our society—a free pass just because they held a press conference and said that everything went okay. Indeed, I believe that it is our duty as citizens in a democracy to always ask questions and never be afraid to criticise if we think it's warranted.

Nobody and nothing can ever be considered above criticism.

True yet when did you question the terrorist?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:35 pm

What's there to question? It goes without saying that I think taking innocent people hostage is wrong. Has anything I've written suggested otherwise?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:20 pm

swoop42 wrote:
There is victims of crime compensation.
There is but they will get $1500 under that. Under the Terrorism rule you can get up to $70K.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:59 pm

David wrote:
What's there to question? It goes without saying that I think taking innocent people hostage is wrong. Has anything I've written suggested otherwise?
so what should the cops have done? Waited? Hoped he would see the light? Get his mother or his kids in? Shot him in the head?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:09 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
so what should the cops have done? Waited? Hoped he would see the light? Get his mother or his kids in? Shot him in the head?

Without storming the building, good luck with that.

IIRC that building used to be a bank. That aint standard coffee shop glass in those windows.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:00 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Should have got his wife..........

Oh hang on he had already had his current partner murder her!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:04 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

The suggestion in the article above is that more avenues of negotiation could have been explored. My concern is that it was not treated as an ordinary hostage situation; the immense police presence lends weight to that hypothesis. That may well have exacerbated the situation. There's a lot that we still don't know, but these are important questions to ponder; they go far beyond whether police officer A or B screwed up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 19 of 22   

Jump to: