Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hostage situation in Sydney

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

When was this exactly?
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:57 am

oh dear, it gets worse

http://www.smh.com.au/world/sydney-siege-iran-says-it-requested-extradition-of-gunman-man-haron-monis-in-2000-20141216-128qoi.html

If they did file extradition paper work with Australian government there should be a record of it.....

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:58 am

stui magpie wrote:
Culprit wrote:
Our Gun laws are working a treat. On Bail and can still buy a gun. Rolling Eyes

No chance he bought it legally, that's part of what's confusing me.

Early reports said he had a sawed of shotgun. That makes sense, easy to fit in a bag, but assume it's only a single or double barrel. Auto's and Pumps have been illegal since the 90's unless you've got a category C or D licence plus you can't really saw them back.

Then yesterday i heard a news article refer to him having a pump action and getting off 5 shots. Now, you can get 5 shot pumps, (or could). 1 cartridge in the spout and 4 in the magazine. Because the mag runs underneath and along the barrel and is part of the actual "pump action" you're limited in how much of the barrel you can cut off. So for a 5 shot pump action to be short enough to fit in a gym bag, you'd need to chop the barrel right back to near the end of the slide action AND chop the butt at the pistol grip to take off an extra foot or so of length.

So considering there's no way on gods green earth he could buy that gun legally if it's a pump, he got an illegal one somewhere.

It’s Illegal to have a Gun but it probably quite easy still to get one

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

It’s Illegal to have a Gun but it probably quite easy still to get one

It's not actually illegal to have a gun Dave, it's illegal to have a gun if you don't have the appropriate licence for it.

I have a category A and B licence so I can legally own a rifle of any size provided it's not semi (or fully) automatic and has limited magazine capacity. I can also own a single or double barreled shotgun, but I can't own a pump action shotgun.

There's a few more details but in a nutshell, guns are not easy to get legally and if you do the fact that you have it is notified to Police straight away.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:47 pm

C'mon Stui if you have the folding stuff you can buy anything in the big city and most small towns btw.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Actually he even had a Gun License! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Quote:
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has commissioned an urgent review into the Martin Place siege, questioning why Man Horan Monis had been granted a gun licence.

The review will be conducted by Mr Abbott's department chief and NSW Premier Mike Baird's most senior adviser.

A spokesperson for NSW Police said police were working to establish whether Monis had a gun licence.

Mr Abbott said Australians should be confident in their police and security agencies, who acted professionally and with courage in responding to this "appalling outrage".

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/12/17/16/13/sydney-siege-gunman-man-horan-monis-had-a-gun-licence#lYhTBohdgiolPECU.99
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:16 pm

^

I reckon that's a stuff up by abbott and the staffer who got his facts, I'll be totally surprised if this guy had a gun licence and utterly flabbergasted if he had the appropriate category to legally buy a pump action.

In regard to being easy to buy, when you buy a gun from a licensed dealer they register the make, model and serial number online along with your licence number. If they let you have one under the counter they're taking serious risks as they have to be accountable for their stock.

Yeah, if you know people you could still buy stuff from a bloke in a pub, but it's likely to be unregistered, something they owned back before the laws changed. In the city, you're relying on stuff that was stolen from people who hadn't registered it and were thus too scared to report it.

I think that the fact Old mate was armed with a shotgun proves that guns are hard to get. If you were fair dinkum you'd have the shottie for close range impact and show and have some high calibre handguns, preferably semi auto.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:40 pm

This bloke arrived in Australia in 1996, the national gun laws as we now have them didn't really come into existence until 97/98. He may well have had access to an automatic shotgun just prior to the great gun buy back. Not everyone turned in their guns, some people may have packed them in heavy grease and stored them.
Museman 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:42 pm

Handguns hard to get? yeah.
Pre M Bryant now unreg rifles and shotguns not hard AT ALL.

Probably goes to show how unconnected he was, you know some serious folks you will get your hands on a handgun, even then it's unlikely to be a Heckler and Koch or Glock...more like a some pre historic revolver.

Besides, a shotgun is ideal for his purpose, sawn off even better, spread does the job, very dangerous weapon even in the hands of an inexperienced operator. a hand gun ias a very hard weapon to be accurate with if the schit hits the fan.

BTW has anyone explained why the tack response group went in (at least some of them) to a 13 hostage 1 hostage taker situation with Ump's or AR's on full auto?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:42 pm

Pi wrote:
This bloke arrived in Australia in 1996, the national gun laws as we now have them didn't really come into existence until 97/98. He may well have had access to an automatic shotgun just prior to the great gun buy back. Not everyone turned in their guns, some people may have packed them in heavy grease and stored them.
Oh I get it.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I think that the fact Old mate was armed with a shotgun proves that guns are hard to get.

Or maybe it proves that he was just a solo fruitcake. A real terrorist would take the trouble to get a real weapon.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:59 pm

A sawn off shottie is a pretty real weapon that does some pretty real damage.

No one's arguing that he wasn't a solo fruitcake.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:13 pm

Sure it is and of course it can. But as you said yourself, "If you were fair dinkum you'd have the shottie for close range impact and show and have some high calibre handguns, preferably semi auto." Or explosives. Or an automatic rifle like the ones the mass killers so often use.

When you think about it, if the dickhead had been serious and planned the thing properly instead of getting all emotional and making a half-planned cock-up of it, it could have been very, very, very bad. Think bad like that Anders Breivik in Sweden or Martin Bryant in Tasmania.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:54 pm

The Greens are doing what they do best, apparently the real victim here is the Gunman according to them!
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:01 am

1061 wrote:
The Greens are doing what they do best, apparently the real victim here is the Gunman according to them!

What a Pack of Hippies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 13 of 22   

Jump to: