Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hostage situation in Sydney

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to say he was a known nutter who engaged in a terrorist-type act.

This guy was neither clandestine nor organised, so that eliminates him being part of a terrorist group except perhaps in his own whacko mind. He was a publically open, judicially-assessed and widely-recognised community nutter.

How it got to a siege stage warrants analysis, but mixing talk of 9/11-type operations with his type of nuttery is completely dumb.

Get your classification of crazies right, people.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:03 pm

I get it. He was neither clandestine nor organised so that eliminates him being part of a terrorist group except in his own whacko mind.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:04 pm

pietillidie wrote:

This guy was neither clandestine nor organised, so that eliminates him being part of a terrorist group except perhaps in his own whacko mind. He was a publically open, judicially-assessed and widely-recognised community nutter.

How it got to a siege stage warrants analysis, but mixing talk of 9/11-type operations with his type of nuttery is completely dumb.

Agree - How this Nutter got Bale. Is a Joke

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:10 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

I think we're all asking the same question Dave! The offences he committed weren't just summary offences, they were indictable offences when he had been a repeat offender of indecent assault.

The fact that this person got bailed in the first place is startling and exposes a major flaw to the judicial system in NSW at the very least.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:12 pm

Jezza wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

I think we're all asking the same question Dave! The offences he committed weren't just summary offences, they were indictable offences when he had been a repeat offender of indecent assault.

The fact that this person got bailed in the first place is startling and exposes a major flaw to the judicial system in NSW at the very least.

Make the Judicial System look like a Joke at the moment after Yesterday

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:15 pm

3.14159 wrote:
think positive wrote:
3.14159 wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Of course the nutter is ultimately at blame but the police merely had to respond to the outbreak of gun fire once it happened.

You get the feeling our police in general aren't as trigger happy as those in the US.

I've watched the video and counted over 30 shots fired and at least 5 grenades thrown, all to deal with 1 tired and disturbed man.
It's a wonder more hostages weren't hurt.
I hope there is an enquiry into this.
A barrister shouldn't lose his life (or a lawyer have a heart attack) because he lost patience with the police efforts to end the siege!
(If that's what actually happened)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-16/police-storm-lindt-cafe/5969262

I've walked away from comments like these several times, but now I cant. There was not 30 shots fired, the flashes and bangs were the stun granades going off. To smash the cops like this when you really have no idea what happened is quite frankly bullshit.
we don't even know who's bullet, and when it was fired, Killed the lady.

I don't know anymore that you do, but I'd lay big odds they did everything they possibly could to get the best outcome.

How about we forget the person who did this for a moment, til we know the facts, and simply focus on the heroic efforts of two amazing human beings who will never get to sit down and have a coffee again?

First off, I have no sympaphy for the arsehole that did this!
He was cretin nutjob of the highest order!
Second.
I wasn't smashing the police!!!
I was voicing my opinion at the way this was handled.
I said... (If that's what actually happened).
It is my right as an Australian citizen to voice my concerns in an act that happened in my country!!!

The lawyer died of a heart attack
(If that's what actually happened)...
It is a fact, she did die of a heart attack during the assault!
Announced on the news this a.m
(No news of how the barrister died...)

As for the rest watch all the video.

There is a shot, a scream then all hell gets let loose.
Stun grenades go off* and then the explosions start !
You can see many muzzle flashes and more what sound like more gun-fire or stun grenades during the assault and then several SWAT members continuing to lob at least another 5 grenades in after the flashes stop.
This assault lasted over 30 seconds!
The only real conclusion I can draw from this is they must be bloody lousy shots and had some spare grenades that needed to be used!
Mute point but IF that knapsack contained explosives the amount of lead being thrown around would surely have detonated the bomb and the body count considerably higher!
I was home doing paper work all day yesterday and from the media I saw or heard of no attempt made to negociate this nut job into a peaceful resolution.
The media is there to inform us, it didn't and using operational secrecy as a cover-all Catch 22 is wearing thin with me.
We have a right to know what's going on when it is going on!!!

This isn't abuse Jo.

I am Australian citizen raising a legitimate concern about what I consider the excessive use of police force and tactics in a situation where people have died!

We live in a democracy when I question what is done by the powers that be it's not abuse, it's free speech!

Well **** me, put out the aussie flags on your car, give em all the finger, and say **** you
Man I thought I was a bogan!
Your wrong. This was NOT. Excessive force. This was cops doing their job.

Gees really. I've watched this shit on face book all day. I cannot believe it! It's scares me!

**** the democracy, **** it all .

Let people be. Let the muslim people who just want to live in peace, just do that here. They do not condone this evil bastard,

And Let the cops do their job. They do the best they can. See what u do when the gun is pointed at you.

What do you do?

Who do you call when u need them

**** it **** it all

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:07 am

pietillidie wrote:

Spot on.

You want to see real terrorism, try this:
http://www.theage.com.au/world/dozens-of-students-killed-in-pakistani-taliban-attack-on-peshawar-school-20141216-128jxa.html

You want to see real terrorism, try this:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/11-parents-of-kidnapped-nigerian-girls-die-as-boko-haram-islamists-surround-chibok-20140722-zvv4z.html

Our sad nut case was just that: a sad nutcase. If he met a real terrorist he'd piss in his pants.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:31 am

One thing I'm intrigued with and want more information on, is what kind of shotgun he had. Some of the reports conflict.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:31 am

Did the shop manager react to an immediate threat when trying to disarm the terrorist (or whatever you'd like to call him) or was it a spur of the moment thing? Was the shot that killed him incidental to the disarmament attempt or reprisal from the gunman? Did the shot that killed the woman come from the terrorist or could it have been friendly fire? Was this lunatic's intention to kill anyone or everyone? So many questions. Most will probably get answered in coming days but likely some never will.

Having said all that I've got no sympathy for the whacko, it's all for the victims, their families and the police. I'm fairly certain the police acted in as professional a way as possible considering the circumstances and would be as distraught as anyone over innocent people dying.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:50 am

Our Gun laws are working a treat. On Bail and can still buy a gun. Rolling Eyes
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:34 am

I'm lost for words.....

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:43 am

The Seedsmeister wrote:
I'm lost for words.....

That's the Media.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:21 am

Culprit wrote:
Our Gun laws are working a treat. On Bail and can still buy a gun. Rolling Eyes

No chance he bought it legally, that's part of what's confusing me.

Early reports said he had a sawed of shotgun. That makes sense, easy to fit in a bag, but assume it's only a single or double barrel. Auto's and Pumps have been illegal since the 90's unless you've got a category C or D licence plus you can't really saw them back.

Then yesterday i heard a news article refer to him having a pump action and getting off 5 shots. Now, you can get 5 shot pumps, (or could). 1 cartridge in the spout and 4 in the magazine. Because the mag runs underneath and along the barrel and is part of the actual "pump action" you're limited in how much of the barrel you can cut off. So for a 5 shot pump action to be short enough to fit in a gym bag, you'd need to chop the barrel right back to near the end of the slide action AND chop the butt at the pistol grip to take off an extra foot or so of length.

So considering there's no way on gods green earth he could buy that gun legally if it's a pump, he got an illegal one somewhere.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:29 am

IF, it's a single shotgun he either reloads really really quickly or we a friendly fire situation.

SO you get charged with murder and they don't check your house for weapons/guns?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:37 am

I'm guessing they do check, and he wasn't charged with murder he was charged with being an accessory after the fact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 12 of 22   

Jump to: