Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL version of NFL Game Day

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
I think perhaps you should listen to Collinsworth's commentary. The guy is just lightyears ahead of anything you've heard during an AFL game. Its got nothing to do with the style of the game and everything to do with his knowledge, understanding, intellect, ability to communicate and generosity toward the players.

Watching the cricket was frustrating today, Warne and co kept going on about Lion goin around the wicket, but not once did they explain that we had 2 left arm quicks operations from the opposite end, short story shorter, Lyon is a $£$%^%%$ retard and if he's the best we have then....****, were in trouble.

Nathen, do you think we selected 2 left arm quicks for the fun of it? Or do you think we wanted to make footmarks for you?

Fact is he's an average bowler, he'll end his career with an average of over 30, and IMO the major flaw in his bowling is his inability to read the play.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:25 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
I've known a quite a few yanks, lots of nice guys and as you'll find in any spectrum some absolute jar heads. But there is one thing that just does my head in about them and it permeates every facet of their culture.

They have ZERO understanding of humour, subtlety or understatement.

Never travelled to the states but from those I know who have, their opinions on American TV tends to agree that it's basically putrid humourless trash.

IMVHO there is much to be said for a sleek presentation with a professional outlook but that isn't enough to compensate for a soulless corporate body.

Have clearly never watched any sport program that includes Shaq.

Absolutely hilarious Laughing
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:29 pm

swoop42 wrote:
NFL is totally different to AFL though and far easier to dissect because it's just a totally scripted snore fest of set plays from a play book, endless time outs and players who are in the side to do only one thing.

As you can guess I'm not a fan of it or any of the other major American sports.

No wonder they like guns.

Sorry mate, every other sport has better coverage than AFL. I love the one hour Premier League summary, it shames our crap shows who are more concerned with giving ex players plum jobs than actually talking about the game.

US sports do a much better job with sportcasting than the AFL. We have shit shows littered with ex footballer who are barely articulate.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:07 pm

KM My parents were English / Scottish, and I was brought up to appreciate droll, self-satirical and subtle humour.

A yank's idea of subtle humour is to cover the baseball bat with foam rubber before hitting the fall guy.

A yank would no sooner think of making a satirical remark against his country than fly to the moon - as a country they are so up themselves that they resemble a hoop snake.

With VERY few exceptions the yanks produce one and only one type of humour.

Broad, low slapstick.
duggieboy 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:13 pm

Well Go Woodsmen, have to agree with you here.

I've noticed the same thing about most AFL shows - it's a bit cringe-worthy actually. I've often wondered how they can be so parochial and petty, sacrificing professionalism as they do so often.

The U.S comparison is generally way more polished and focused.
Enjoyable.

I guess that being seen as an icon of the game, in the smaller Aussie fishbowl, doesn't help, especially when it seems to also blind the TV execs who hire them. They seem to have carte blanche to carry on about so much that surely doesn't capture core sports lovers.

For me, a pretty good thoughtful post to ponder.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:27 pm

duggieboy wrote:
Well Go Woodsmen, have to agree with you here.

I've noticed the same thing about most AFL shows - it's a bit cringe-worthy actually. I've often wondered how they can be so parochial and petty, sacrificing professionalism as they do so often.

The U.S comparison is generally way more polished and focused.
Enjoyable.

I guess that being seen as an icon of the game, in the smaller Aussie fishbowl, doesn't help, especially when it seems to also blind the TV execs who hire them. They seem to have carte blanche to carry on about so much that surely doesn't capture core sports lovers.

For me, a pretty good thoughtful post to ponder.

Because the shows Hosts are not just Ex-AFL Players. There are actually TV Peronsal

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:05 pm

Defender wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I think perhaps you should listen to Collinsworth's commentary. The guy is just lightyears ahead of anything you've heard during an AFL game. Its got nothing to do with the style of the game and everything to do with his knowledge, understanding, intellect, ability to communicate and generosity toward the players.

Watching the cricket was frustrating today, Warne and co kept going on about Lion goin around the wicket, but not once did they explain that we had 2 left arm quicks operations from the opposite end, short story shorter, Lyon is a $£$%^%%$ retard and if he's the best we have then....****, were in trouble.

Nathen, do you think we selected 2 left arm quicks for the fun of it? Or do you think we wanted to make footmarks for you?

Fact is he's an average bowler, he'll end his career with an average of over 30, and IMO the major flaw in his bowling is his inability to read the play.

I'm no cricket expert, but didn't he take 12 wickets in the Adelaide test? Not a bad effort for an "average bowler" I'd have thought. Then again wtfwik?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: