Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL version of NFL Game Day

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:39 am
Post subject: AFL version of NFL Game DayReply with quote

Don't know how many of you on here follow the NFL but I finally got around to watching an episode of NFL Game Day yesterday. From the 15 minutes I saw we in the AFL desperately need a show like this.

Just tells the story of each game with some highlights, the drama... no stupid ex-player personalities, no "in jokes", no crap. Plus if you're really limited on time it's a great way of keeping up with what's actually going on the field.

Has anyone else seen the show? Thoughts?

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:02 pm
Post subject: Re: AFL version of NFL Game DayReply with quote

GoWoodsmen wrote:
Don't know how many of you on here follow the NFL but I finally got around to watching an episode of NFL Game Day yesterday. From the 15 minutes I saw we in the AFL desperately need a show like this.

Just tells the story of each game with some highlights, the drama... no stupid ex-player personalities, no "in jokes", no crap. Plus if you're really limited on time it's a great way of keeping up with what's actually going on the field.

Dude, that's pretty much EVERY US sports show, whether be NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB. We are so embarrassingly behind in terms of our blokey, in-joke, bogan representation of national sports. The US have no bias, and judge everyone on their merits. Ex players know what they're talking about and can string two words together. No stupid nicknames. A professionla package to go with their professional sports. No bullsh!t, no chatter, no childish giggles, no smirks about haircuts, tattoos, etc. just SPORTS talk.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it with the hate against tattoo's among forum ranks??

Never had one or wanted one but have known a number of very good people who have had body art work done.

Such a superficial predjudice.
Brenny 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:21 pm

I loathe tattoos.

I don't necessarily hate the artwork as I think the artwork is mostly amazing and I'm in awe at how they do it when they only get one shot.

I hate the idea of tattoos; the fact they can't be removed, and I don't think people, young people, always think when they get them.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:31 pm

It's choice brenny, simply choice. I'm of the opinion that if I wouldn't frame something and put it on a wall I wouldn't put it on my body but I don't hate tattoo's per se - they just ARE.

Wouldn't waste my time hating them, they are bad choices but so is smoking, binge drinking and drugs - SO much more worthy of hate than a simple choice of body adornment - even if it is permanent.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:53 pm

That means we need to get Rid of the Ex-AFL Players to have someone who could do that.

Peter Dongaron would be great and The Late Clint Grybas would of been Perfect

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:00 pm

droversdog65 wrote:

Never had one or wanted one but have known a number of very good people who have had body art work done.

Tattoo's got a bad wrap from the amount of wannabe hard cnuts out there, that's where the expression tough stickers came from.

Now days though all walks of life people have them and are more like a fashion accessory, bit like chicks carrying lap dogs in their purses is in the US.

GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:03 pm
Post subject: Re: AFL version of NFL Game DayReply with quote

Raw Hammer wrote:
GoWoodsmen wrote:

Dude, that's pretty much EVERY US sports show, whether be NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB. We are so embarrassingly behind in terms of our blokey, in-joke, bogan representation of national sports. The US have no bias, and judge everyone on their merits. Ex players know what they're talking about and can string two words together. No stupid nicknames. A professionla package to go with their professional sports. No bullsh!t, no chatter, no childish giggles, no smirks about haircuts, tattoos, etc. just SPORTS talk.

Some people obviously love the "chat" style shows... .and the yanks have plenty of those. Either it costs too much to edit/narrate or our TV networks are afraid of the game selling itself on .. well... the game itself!

Ah we can only hope that one day we catch up but I won't hold my breath.

PS - How did this turn into a conversation on tatts.... ??? wtf!

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:18 pm

I've known a quite a few yanks, lots of nice guys and as you'll find in any spectrum some absolute jar heads. But there is one thing that just does my head in about them and it permeates every facet of their culture.

They have ZERO understanding of humour, subtlety or understatement.

Never travelled to the states but from those I know who have, their opinions on American TV tends to agree that it's basically putrid humourless trash.

IMVHO there is much to be said for a sleek presentation with a professional outlook but that isn't enough to compensate for a soulless corporate body.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:17 pm

Any idea that gets Bruce off TV has my support
As for professional, fact based non-biased football shows we used to have them but the bogan moron in joke TV shows won the rating wars.

Any way there is nothing wrong with tattoos apart from the really bad ones

The-Den Libra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:55 pm

Brenny wrote:
I loathe tattoos.

I don't necessarily hate the artwork as I think the artwork is mostly amazing and I'm in awe at how they do it when they only get one shot.

I hate the idea of tattoos; the fact they can't be removed, and I don't think people, young people, always think when they get them.

Well actually they can be removed. Im currently in the process of removing a whole sleeve. But you are right, young people dont think about it or research it properly. Such as myself when I was younger lol.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:22 pm

droversdog65 wrote:

Huh??? I said the US commentators don't smirks or carry-on about tattoos, as in, "Ooh, Dusty's got some new ink, what do you think Richo?" Read posts more carefully before starting a comment that hijacks the thread into tattoo talk. FWIW, I have a tattoo, but couldn't care less if people like them or hate them.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:49 pm

I am avid watcher of the NFL. I'm not a particular fan of NFL Game Day.

What I would like to see are a few more extremely capable, intelligent, thoughtful commentators like Cris Collinsworth get a gig doing commentary on the AFL. I think, though, that the problem is that Cris' CV is an extraordinary one and that our "talent pool" simply may not have people like him in it. Nevertheless, I have learnt more listening to his "Sunday night" (Monday lunch-time, our time) special comments describing NFL plays than I ever gained listening to an AFL commentator.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:17 pm

NFL is totally different to AFL though and far easier to dissect because it's just a totally scripted snore fest of set plays from a play book, endless time outs and players who are in the side to do only one thing.

As you can guess I'm not a fan of it or any of the other major American sports.

No wonder they like guns.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:28 pm

I think perhaps you should listen to Collinsworth's commentary. The guy is just lightyears ahead of anything you've heard during an AFL game. Its got nothing to do with the style of the game and everything to do with his knowledge, understanding, intellect, ability to communicate and generosity toward the players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: