Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The MYTHunderstood factors in TRUE forward line pressure.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on Blair Loki, love his commitment and work ethic but 12.11 is as good an argument proving the bankruptcy of the defense first forward half argument as I've seen.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:57 pm

Woods wrote:
Interesting story just popped up on the Collingwood website discussing aspects of Collingwood's forward pressure. The snap-at-goal figures were very good this year.

Link: http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2014-12-15/pies-pinpoint-forward-pressure

Pies pinpoint forward pressure

AFL Media's Ben Guthrie analyses an area of Collingwood's game that stood out in season 2014.

When the Magpies pushed into the top four earlier this year it was their tackling pressure that was the club's trademark.

Tyson Goldsack and Jarryd Blair both thrived in applying pressure up forward, while captain Scott Pendlebury took out the Gavin Brown Award for leading desire indicators and amassed 116 tackles through the season.

Collingwood also made a point of working on their accuracy in front of goal. The Magpies were a bit hit and miss from set shots, but executed well from snap shots.

Jamie Elliott, Blair and Travis Cloke are reliable exponents of the skill.

Cloke kicked 39 goals and 25 behinds in 2014, Elliott kicked 33.11 while Blair managed 12.11.

Collingwood in 2014
Tackles: 71.1 (2nd). AFL average is 66.5
Accuracy from snap shots: 59.8% (3rd). AFL average is 53.0%

Interesting without being overly meaningful. Could spin it any way you want really.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:01 pm

Agree jackass bit of a bland story really.
Cleomenes 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:11 pm

I have to admit to some surprise at the high ranking of our team for snapshots. Subjectively, they have seemed poor. Just shows what emotional involvement does to your perceptions.
Like many here, I am optimistic about the coming season. Injuries could cruel us again, but they have not started yet.
I particularly like the idea of having Brown and Reid back in. They left such a gaping hole last year, partly masked by the standout efforts of Frost and Langdon.
The midfield is where we look weak, but if Swan has a good year, it all suddenly looks better. We are then only looking for a big improvement from one of the many second tier players we have there, or a reasonable improvement from a group of them.
I do think that Lumumba will be a bigger loss than many seem to think; with both he and Shaw gone, the tearaway strength and pace of the backline is questionable. There are replacements, that are not like for like, but we have to see if they can cut it.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:30 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
Much the same could have been said of our teams in the 70's - in that they issues yet they didn't win flags.

Afraid have to agree to disagree.

3 things make a huge contribution to a successful flag winning season.

Winning enough games to make top 4 finish.

Winning by enough to ensure a decent percentage.

Those first 2 will give you a great shot given a good list and injury luck.

The final one is the killer for defensive football.

NO team is going to give you a final - let alone a grand final. Playing defensive football depends on making your opposition make enough mistakes for you to kick a winning score.

You can get by during the season with bottom half teams making enough mistakes and you may force close wins agains teams in the top 5 - 8 bracket during the main season. But it isn't going to happen against the top 3 or 4 unless they have off days. Once the finals come by you are dealing with teams that have survived the crucible and are inured to pressure - they wouldn't be participating otherwise. You may squeek by in a few finals but in a grand final it's again a totally different story.

Pressure is expected, so any team to reach it must be great at handling pressure. IF your game is built around pressuring your opponents to force enough mistakes to win you ARE going to struggle.

Lyon's teams have always been highly competitive but that ISN'T enough to take the candy.

You have to rip the cup out of the opposition's hands in the big dance and to do that you have to be prepared to attack.

There's nowhere to hide - it's either take or be taken.

We're growing further apart in our views. We can go back through as many GFs as you'd like but it's still defensive pressure that is the cornerstone to winning them.

Last edited by jackcass on Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:31 pm

Cleo Brown looks HUGE in the upper body this pre-season, looks like the medical staff are trying to buttress those shoulders with muscle and sinew development. Reid will be a huge plus if we can get him on the park fit and keep him that way. Ditto Swan, we missed him severely last year so hopefully he and Greenwood can strike up a partnership.

The half back line is a work in progress but has bright potential. Witts and Grundy I have high hopes for - not that I think they will dominate - still too young for that but towards the end of the year there were good signs. A couple of pre-seasons under the belt and another this year should see them much more threatening which makes the job of our mids so much easier than the reactive play they have had to engage in since Jolly broke down - or virtually so.

Whatever other personal attributes a player has, if he has football poise and good vision he will make it. Almost without exception our drafting in recent times seems to have targetted such qualities.

Hopefully they can shine this year without injuries holding them back further.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:33 pm

Well jackass I did say we were of different opinions and just needed to agree to disagree, you obviously have a different view of what defensive pressure is and can be to me so let's just let it rest there.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:02 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
Cleo Brown looks HUGE in the upper body this pre-season, looks like the medical staff are trying to buttress those shoulders with muscle and sinew development. Reid will be a huge plus if we can get him on the park fit and keep him that way. Ditto Swan, we missed him severely last year so hopefully he and Greenwood can strike up a partnership.

The half back line is a work in progress but has bright potential. Witts and Grundy I have high hopes for - not that I think they will dominate - still too young for that but towards the end of the year there were good signs. A couple of pre-seasons under the belt and another this year should see them much more threatening which makes the job of our mids so much easier than the reactive play they have had to engage in since Jolly broke down - or virtually so.

Whatever other personal attributes a player has, if he has football poise and good vision he will make it. Almost without exception our drafting in recent times seems to have targetted such qualities.

In a report Brown indicated that his shoulder is now screwed into place so shouldn't pop out again, just needs to re-build mobility, strength and confidence. Looking forward to a big 2015 from both he and Reid.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:08 pm

jackcass wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

In a report Brown indicated that his shoulder is now screwed into place so shouldn't pop out again, just needs to re-build mobility, strength and confidence. Looking forward to a big 2015 from both he and Reid.

You're saying that Brown is screwed? Hiss will be angry.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Sounds good regarding Brown, hopefully the lad can get a decent run at it. As regards Reid I have my fingers crossed, love what he brings to the team just wish he was a little more robust.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:55 am

Woods wrote:
jackcass wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

You're saying that Brown is screwed? Hiss will be angry.

Hiss still thinks we're talking about Charlie Brown who played around WW1.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:26 pm

Had plenty of schtick jazza his curveball took out the red baron nicely Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: