Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cox - 100 million miles from Senior Selection

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict 'Doodle' will end up a dandy. Wink
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:00 pm

What a joke of a thread.

Developmental coaches prefer to teach a blank slate how to kick because they dont need to undo 18 years worth of poor kicking technique by some new draftees.

Height wise is where Cox has a big advantage over Shae. Soccer and basketball background gives him 360 degree awareness. From the footage I saw of him at the combine he is more athlete than Shae too, with ability to pick up the ground ball very well.

He might make it, he might not but when you can sign him as a free agent without using a draft pick there's nothing to lose.

As for your comments regarding the importance of growing up understanding the bounce of a sherrin, stephen milne says hi! Even the most experienced can get nutted by the bounce. Happens all the time. No one gets it right all the time. If he puts the hours in 5 days a week for a year I'm sure he will read the bounce pretty well.

In any event, he's a ruckman. If you're expecting him to rove beautifully I don't think you understand his position particularly well. Plenty of uncoordinated ruckman have been in premierships. Hopefully, he's the first american one
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:19 pm

jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
It's good that we have someone to measure him against in Shae, and realistically shae wasn't a million miles off senior selection during his second year, he was during his first though.

Exactly and it certainly wasn't his kicking that held him back, it was his capacity to read the play. He actually became one of the best kicks in the VFL side.

Yep.

And I think, given Shae's age (I believe he was about 3-4 years older than Mason when we picked him up), the experiment was not in made with many realistic hopes of getting him a senior gig. The main aim to me was "Can we teach an American kid, with no AFL expierience at any level, to play the game?" and I think that the result was that is indeed doable.

Mason has size and athleticism that is hard to find, and you can't teach someone to be that big and move well for their size, they either are or they aren't. You can however teach them to play football.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:23 pm

How?
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:23 pm

It's horrible footage granted. But I'm encouraged by the feedback thus far from Dekka and Pebbles. I'm also encouraged by what I've read about the character of the kid so I'm sure resolve and determination to make it won't be an issue. 5 other clubs wanted him too so I'm prepared to be very patient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: