Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cox - 100 million miles from Senior Selection

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

At least we dont require an interpreter ..... for now anyway.

Having said that, I do enjoy a good conspiracy theory.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:14 pm

LALU wrote:
Said it from the beginning.

A waste of time!!

Well it’s no cost to the Team so why not give a Kid that is 211cm with Amazing Athleticism a Go?

E 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:43 am

jackcass wrote:
Kids got 2 years on our list external to the standard rookie list so how about we give him at least a preseason and some VFL exposure before we start making too many predictions. I'm sure Mike Pyke had no less issue adapting to AFL and he seems to go okay now.

i didnt realize Martin Pike was an American who grew up never kicking a ball?

E 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:48 am

Dave The Man wrote:
That kick was just in Warm-Ups.

Yes he is got fair way to go but I read some Promising things in the Media and from some Training Reports

Its propoganda! I am not against the idea of Cox being on the list. to the extent kids in America hear about it and decide to give it a try (and it might raise some public awareness for the sport in the US), i'm all for that. I think it also sends a good vibe to australian's that our sport is becoming glabal and so the lure of representing your country by playing soccer or rugby might be lessened over time in some kind of wierd way. All of these non collingwood premiership reasons are all good and well, and i agree it costs us nothing.

I just dont think we should include him in our lists we all write (and you all know you do it), where we talk about our promising list and the things that could happen to make us a better side.....

E 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:53 am
Post subject: Re: Cox - 100 million miles from Senior SelectionReply with quote

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
E wrote:
Look at his efforts to catch a ball and then kick it

Not possible - all I can see is one effort and I'm not going to judge from that - after all, I could construct a clip show of Clinton Young that would have him 1000 million miles away...

all i can say to that is "Why Phil Why"!!!

How about we have a bet Phil, or is it Mr why 2 Phil?

If Cox leaves before becoming a regular member of our 22, i get to have a non-collingwood related thread or a draft thread in the General Discussion area for one month before it gets sent to die a slow death in either the Tavern or the Draft area.

If he becomes a regular, i will change my name to F!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:02 am

E wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Kids got 2 years on our list external to the standard rookie list so how about we give him at least a preseason and some VFL exposure before we start making too many predictions. I'm sure Mike Pyke had no less issue adapting to AFL and he seems to go okay now.

Pyke is a Canadian with a rugby background so the example is just as valid. Could just as easily have used either of the Jason Holmes or Eric Wallace examples, both of who have had significantly less time in the system but are showing good signs they can adapt to the AFL game. Your sarcasm is duely noted.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:16 pm

E - I think you're trying to put words in my mouth. That's not what I said at all.

But as there are kids on our list that have played the game all their lives that wont become a "regular" member of our 22, I'll counter offer.

But I'm willing to get behind our team. If Cox doesn't play 5 senior games before being cut from the list, I'll buy you a slab. How's that?
E 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:23 pm

jackcass wrote:
E wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Pyke is a Canadian with a rugby background so the example is just as valid. Could just as easily have used either of the Jason Holmes or Eric Wallace examples, both of who have had significantly less time in the system but are showing good signs they can adapt to the AFL game. Your sarcasm is duely noted.

Jackass, with great respect it is actually nothing like the same. In rugby, most kids learn to kick the ball as part of their development. They also learn how to gather an awkwardly bouncing ball. Its not the same as AFL, but its in the same stratosphere. I can see how a rugby player could adapt to aussie rules if they were a special enough talent.

I know its hard to believe this, but in the US, kids NEVER kick balls (some kids play soccer now beyond the age of 10, but that wasn't true 15 years ago when big Mason was a kid). Kids also NEVER practice live situations where an odd shaped football is in dispute (some kids can catch it really well - meaning a lot of Americans are awesome at taking species). Kids who play basketball likely have good vision and awareness.

Unfortunately, their legs for the most part are useless and they always look uncoordinated in fielding a loose ball. even the most elite footballers look stupid when a ball is fumbled in the NFL.

So while I think that a rugby player from Canada might make it in the AFL, I honestly cant see an elite American Basketball player or football player making it anytime soon (unless that kid has a story that links him to a kicking culture - e.g., an aussie kid grows up in the US or some similar thing that means he kicked the ball a lot growing up).

You really have to live here to get it. It is hilarious.

by way of example, I can routinely make people think I am an ABSOLUTE F'n genius because I can kick a ball in a bin from 10 yards away. And they think I am from planet mars when I bounce an NFL football while running.

Video footage of americans trying either of those, remind me of what I saw in the 5 seconds of footage I saw of Mason Cox! Its a bloody huge hill that boy has to overcome.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:26 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
E - I think you're trying to put words in my mouth. That's not what I said at all.

But as there are kids on our list that have played the game all their lives that wont become a "regular" member of our 22, I'll counter offer.

But I'm willing to get behind our team. If Cox doesn't play 5 senior games before being cut from the list, I'll buy you a slab. How's that?

That sounds fair - and I think I'd enjoy drinking them with you. However, to make the bet real. you and I would have to agree at the time hat his spot in the side was based on merit and not simply a publicity stunt by the AFL!

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:33 pm

E wrote:
That sounds fair - and I think I'd enjoy drinking them with you. However, to make the bet real. you and I would have to agree at the time hat his spot in the side was based on merit and not simply a publicity stunt by the AFL!

I'll even wear your time hat and allow you to be sole adjudicator.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:39 pm

E wrote:
jackcass wrote:
E wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Jackass, with great respect it is actually nothing like the same. In rugby, most kids learn to kick the ball as part of their development. They also learn how to gather an awkwardly bouncing ball. Its not the same as AFL, but its in the same stratosphere. I can see how a rugby player could adapt to aussie rules if they were a special enough talent.

I know its hard to believe this, but in the US, kids NEVER kick balls (some kids play soccer now beyond the age of 10, but that wasn't true 15 years ago when big Mason was a kid). Kids also NEVER practice live situations where an odd shaped football is in dispute (some kids can catch it really well - meaning a lot of Americans are awesome at taking species). Kids who play basketball likely have good vision and awareness.

Unfortunately, their legs for the most part are useless and they always look uncoordinated in fielding a loose ball. even the most elite footballers look stupid when a ball is fumbled in the NFL.

So while I think that a rugby player from Canada might make it in the AFL, I honestly cant see an elite American Basketball player or football player making it anytime soon (unless that kid has a story that links him to a kicking culture - e.g., an aussie kid grows up in the US or some similar thing that means he kicked the ball a lot growing up).

by way of example, I can routinely make people think I am an ABSOLUTE F'n genius because I can kick a ball in a bin from 10 yards away. And they think I am from planet mars when I bounce an NFL football while running.

Video footage of americans trying either of those, remind me of what I saw in the 5 seconds of footage I saw of Mason Cox! Its a bloody huge hill that boy has to overcome.

From the afl site
"The 23-year-old's soccer background makes him a unique prospect for the Australian code.

He played soccer from age five through to 18 in Dallas where he grew up, and then had a growth spurt, which saw him convert late to basketball at Oklahoma State University."

Soccer background not dissimilar to Keefe
Basketball background has to help.
Costs us nothing, why wouldnt we give him a go ?

King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:00 pm

Laughing Judging a player from 5 seconds of footage
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:42 pm

It's good that we have someone to measure him against in Shae, and realistically shae wasn't a million miles off senior selection during his second year, he was during his first though.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Defender wrote:
It's good that we have someone to measure him against in Shae, and realistically shae wasn't a million miles off senior selection during his second year, he was during his first though.

Exactly and it certainly wasn't his kicking that held him back, it was his capacity to read the play. He actually became one of the best kicks in the VFL side.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:22 pm

E wrote:
jackcass wrote:
E wrote:
jackcass wrote:

More intensive soccer background than you suggest from memory. Ultimately time will tell but I'm not going to discount his potential development based on 1 video when equally there has been other vision showing him kicking quite reasonably.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: